Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

slyweb

Posted Wed Nov 14th, 2007 4:15pm Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
I'm probably just like any other thirty seven year old gay man in the world who at some point came across the existence of HIV from an early age. It could have been the government sponsored "Don't Die of Ignorance" television campaign or a more personal experience. For me however, it was the gutter press who managed to burn into my mind the slogan "Gay Plague" way back in the early 80's.

Since then, I have read and understood HIV but my anxiety didn't really start to control my life until I came face to face with the virus in 1997 when my partner of two years decided to tell me he was HIV positive and had been for many years.

Ten years on and with another partner of nearly six years my anxiety had reached record levels. I had gone seven years without being tested and my day-to-day life was filled with everything HIV.

Then along came Stephen Fry and his ground breaking documentaries. I have to say that these two documentaries were an inspiration and gave me the courage to go and get tested. The fact that the fifteen minute test was available at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital really helped.

The way Stephen presented the issue of HIV helped me understand my fears and how important it is to know your status.

I want to thank you Stephen. In a way, you have made me a very happy man indeed.

CollectorManiac

Posted Wed Nov 14th, 2007 10:39pm Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
Oh yes definitely did, I'm only 16 but before this I didn't actually know very much about it
And this may sound bizarre and you may think I'm overexxagerating but it terrified me
It was an excellent programme and has certainly done the job of making me far more concerned, cautious and aware
But nonetheless disturbing

Nadia

Posted Sun Nov 18th, 2007 11:08pm Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
Yes Stephen's documentary definitely forced me to get tested again.
And I'm happy I did, Thank You Mr. Fry. Anxiety is gone, that's fantastic
feeling too.

TOKYOGAL87

Posted Sun Nov 18th, 2007 11:27pm Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
well for the moment i'm not gonna do it, don't have a sexlife yet. but i thinks is important to do it when we didn't had a protection. as my mum lways say prevntion is better than cure. so use the condom. protect yourself protect everybody

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Nov 18th, 2007 11:43pm Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
Everyone I know already gets tested every 3-6 months. Good on those who have decided to test again

EstherLayton

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 11:45am Post subject: Compelled to get tested?
I had an HIV test about 3 years ago, but so much time has passed since then...I am, indeed, feeling compelled to go again.

As you say, it's so important to be careful and protect yourself and others.

Take care and thank you Mr. Fry,

Est x