Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 12:52pm Post subject: Computer help
Can someone help me please.
I want to buy a new laptop nothing expensive but it needs to do the job.
internet, loading pictures, letters etc etc.
I don't understand ram, mb, gb and all that and i just thought someone may be able to help me out.

Thankyou......................John

Fourth Feline

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 1:20pm Post subject: Computer help
Hi John,

If your needs are as ( relatively ) basic as they sound, and you will not be needing it to record guitar/voice as part of a ' Home Studio ' on it, BUT do want to make the best use of increased internet speeds and it to be quite swift to obey your commands and download etc, I recommend that :

The RAM be no less than 512 MB

The hard disk be 30GB or larger (most are anyway )

The CPU be 1.8 GHz or preferably higher.

I have been using a DELL for the last three years, as an IBM employee informed me that they are basically IBM clones at a greatly reduced price. Compare their website to that of your local 'P.C.World' shop for price comparisons.

A laptop will be more expensive for the same specifications than a desktop.

Further questions welcomed

Bye (for now )

Derek.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 1:22pm Post subject: Computer help
Thanks Derek i'm on the pc world site now looking at the deals

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 1:33pm Post subject: Computer help

The hard disk be 30MB or larger (most are anyway )
You meant GB, didn't you?

Given that Windows XP as well als Vista need a lot of memory, I wouldn't choose anything fewer than 1 GB Ram.

Fourth Feline

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 1:51pm Post subject: Computer help
My mistake , I did mean to write "at least 30GB" - not MB.

And with regards to the RAM, I agree that 1GB + of RAM is ideal, but as my own laptop runs Windows XP quite fast and certain recording studio software on 512 MB, I thought it might save John a few quid if needed.

I had ( in my haste ) overlooked the fact that most if not all new machines will be issued with the new Vistas operating system.

That said, I cannot upgrade my laptop to any higher RAM and wish I could - so should have mentioned to John that 1GB (or more) of RAM is preferable.

Thanks Soupy , sorry John

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 2:01pm Post subject: Computer help
My mistake , I did mean to write "at least 30GB" - not MB.

And with regards to the RAM, I agree that 1GB of RAM is ideal, bt as my own laptop ran Windows XP and certain recording studio software on 512 MB, I thought it might save John a few quid if needed.

That said, I cannot upgrade my laptop to any higher RAM and wish I could - so should have mentioned to John that 1GB or more is preferable.

Thanks Soupy

I absolutely agree that 512 MB are basically enough. I currently work with only 256MB RAM, Windows XP runs but it's soooo slow, and I can't upgrade either. Whenever I get to work with my brother's very fast laptop I realise how much more convenient that is. I'm tight with money myself but I've decided that my next computer will have at least 1 GB Ram.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:28pm Post subject: Computer help
And try to avoid Vista
I have it on my new computer, unfortunately! I have been unable to find a USB adapter in order to go wireless, I cannot download N antivirus software, and BT are virtually helpless when it comes to solving Vista-related problems (helpless being a euphemism here for completely and utterly USELESS! And they give you a grilling such that at some point I asked that chap at the other end whether I had rung the BT helpline or the Spanish inquisition ) so when you consider getting BT broadband option 2 you will end up paying for two features you cannot use at present, i.e. wireless (which would be nice taking into account you want a laptop) and antivirus software which is supposed to be an integral part of option 2 !

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:35pm Post subject: Computer help
i have seen taht all the laptops at pc world come pre loaded with this vista thing do i have to have that or am i going to have to buy something on top? I'm on orange broadband i haven't had any problems with them as yet

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:48pm Post subject: Computer help
I don´t think you have to buy anything on top. If they all come pre-loaded with Vista, then that´s that I presume X-D I did not have broadband before and only found out about the problems in the process of installing it - does not necessarily mean that you´ll encounter the same problems with your existing broadband provider - sorry, did not mean to unsettle you in any way, Jvonearth

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 9:01pm Post subject: Computer help
i'm ok with it i just want to be able to go in look....buy.......go i hate looking about and i don't want to take advice from an instore comission based salesman.....If you know what i mean
I just need to know what does what and how much i need X-D and as i know sod all then any help is a great help

ClareBear

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:13pm Post subject: Computer help
Toshiba Satellites are nicely put-together Windows laptops. Not overly expensive either.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:18pm Post subject: Computer help
ah i saw one of those on the pcworld site. It's the jiggy bits and all that i get confused with. Someone said to me that i could get an external hard drive? if whatever that is for isn't big enough in the computer

ClareBear

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:22pm Post subject: Computer help
you can do...most external hard drives need to be plugged into the mains.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:24pm Post subject: Computer help
ah right thankyou maybe i should learn more about computers

boffinbabe12

Posted Sat Apr 7th, 2007 6:00pm Post subject: Computer help
Yes, much more