Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jarus

Posted Wed Jan 21st, 2009 11:31pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7842013.stm

Theres been quite a bit of buzz about this the last few days with the MoD being infected etc, only today my Sister told me all the computers at the company she works for (large international company) had been infected.

While I generally view this as an obviously criminal act I must confess to a certain admiration when ingenuity and hard work are put into criminal behavior of this scale. Unless of course my computer is infected then they're evil bastards!

Still much like most virus's the usual precautions of keeping everything up to date and being careful with what links you click/devices you connect should see you safe.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 5:54am Post subject: Conficker Virus
Yeah, from what I understand this isn't the type to infect lone home computers but rather biz networks. And last I heard, they're not even sure what damage it does or to what extent. Maybe they've figured that out by now.

I don't admire any of the 'effort' to do this sort of thing. I'm one of those wacky types that thinks computer ethics actually matter.

Of course, a little assembly and c code in the hands of a giggling 15 year old can be bad and for me personally, that's how I see this sort of abuse of knowledge. It's the same kind of mentality IOW. They're no different to me than little script kiddies or whatever. It's a power trip, ultimately, (IMNSHO of course )

Really? Wow.

Jarus

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 4:10pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
I don't think anything has happened yet which is probably why I find it intriguing and why it's still getting press interest. On reflection admiration was probably the wrong word for what is simple voyeurism on my part. The allure of the darker side of life combined with my own technical ignorance, makes stories like this fascinating to me.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 6:09pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
Jarus, ever considered a career in forensic intelligence or cryptography? You might like it.

Really? Wow.

Jarus

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 10:32pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
No, but I'll add it to the list for possible careers that lurks at the back of my mind. I'm certainly curious about forensic intelligence what I read on the FSS website was interesting to say the least.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 1:21pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
From the Symantec website:

Symantec.com > Norton > The Conficker Worm
The Conficker Worm

Target: All users of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

A new worm called Conficker, sometimes referred to as Downadup, has generated a lot of interest. Current users of Symantec’s Norton security products are protected. Users who lack protection are invited to download a trial version of Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 or Norton 360. All of these products will detect and remove this worm.

What does the Conficker worm do?
The Conficker worm mostly spreads across networks. If it finds a vulnerable computer, it turns off the automatic backup service, deletes previous restore points, disables some security services, blocks access to a number of security web sites and opens infected machines to receive additional programs from the malware’s creator. The worm then tries to spread itself to other computers on the same network.

How does the worm infect a computer?
The worm tries to take advantage of a problem with Windows (a vulnerability) called MS08-067 to quietly install itself. Users who automatically receive updates from Microsoft are already protected from this. The worm also tries to spread by copying itself into shared folders on networks and by infecting USB devices such as memory sticks.

Who is at risk?
Users who’s computers are not configured to receive patches and updates from Microsoft and who are not running an up to date antivirus product.

What to do if you are infected
Detailed removal instructions are available here: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup......mp;tabid=3

Advice to Stay Safe from the Conficker Worm:

Run a good security suite.

Keep your computer updated with the latest patches. If you don’t know how to do this, have someone help you set your system to update itself.

Don’t use “free” security scans that pop up on many web sites. All too often these are fake, using scare tactics to try to get you to purchase their “full” service. In many cases these are actually infecting you while they run.

Turn off the “autorun” feature that will automatically run programs found on memory sticks and other USB devices.

Be smart with your passwords. This includes
changing your passwords periodically

Use complex passwords – no simple names or words, use special characters and numbers

Using a separate, longer password for each site that has sensitive personal information or access to your bank accounts or credit cards.

Use a passwords management system such as Identity Safe (included in Norton Internet Security and Norton 360) to track your passwords and to fill out forms automatically.

Really? Wow.

Cormac

Posted Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
The mere fact that someone could make this is scary. I, rather unfortuantly, have had to live with Vista, dispite my protests for a Mac.

My computer was infected with this, actually. And interestingly enough, I didn't find it too difficult to restore it. I did it manually by taking note of all of the system files. I was such a loser, I know, but that yellowing bit of paper saved me.

I actually didn't know the full extent of the virus until I read BBC news a week later, and the number of cases that came up. To be honest, detailed instructions need to be on every website. I may even do that myself, with ads on Google. But then I'd look like one of those scammers that you see so much on ads.

Google conficker removal. This seems to be taken up as a bandwagon for Kapersky. They're actually taking advantage of this.

Disgusting.

michael

Posted Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 7:44pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
everytime i see the title of this topic my eyes read it wrong and i think, well, hell, if you don't want the virus stop fucking corn.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Jarus

Posted Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 8:38pm Post subject: Conficker Virus
The mere fact that someone could make this is scary. I, rather unfortuantly, have had to live with Vista, dispite my protests for a Mac.

My computer was infected with this, actually. And interestingly enough, I didn't find it too difficult to restore it. I did it manually by taking note of all of the system files. I was such a loser, I know, but that yellowing bit of paper saved me.

I actually didn't know the full extent of the virus until I read BBC news a week later, and the number of cases that came up. To be honest, detailed instructions need to be on every website. I may even do that myself, with ads on Google. But then I'd look like one of those scammers that you see so much on ads.

Google conficker removal. This seems to be taken up as a bandwagon for Kapersky. They're actually taking advantage of this.

Disgusting.

I don't bother with system restore anymore, if a virus is on my system I just reinstall Vista, anything important would or should already be backed up externally. It frees up space/resources and if I am stupid enough to lose something important then it's a good kick in the arse to not be lazy next time

Edit: I just noticed that was your first post, welcome to the forums!

everytime i see the title of this topic my eyes read it wrong and i think, well, hell, if you don't want the virus stop fucking corn.

X-D X-D X-D