Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Thu Feb 15th, 2007 8:06pm Post subject: Cost or cure?
Went for my nice little chat with the men in white coats today.
They left the room for a few minutes so i was looking around the room feeling bored when i noticed a book on the desk.
I opened it and to my horror it was the A to Z of prescription drugs what they are used to treat, Side effects, the effects of long term use to body organs and the COST!
So i thought are we being treated with the right pills for the job or are we being treated with the right pills at the right price?

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Feb 15th, 2007 8:43pm Post subject: Cost or cure?
A very valid point there J.V.

I know someone who (it was strongly implied) only went into remission with his Luekemia due to being able to take drugs which the national health service would not have given / been able to afford.
If not that, at the very least his side effects were far more bearable due to 'private' treatments.

I know that with my Bi-Polar , I seem to have been always offered the cheapest options until I refused to take them due to very bad side effects. At that point relatively expensive alternatives were suddenly offered rather than the hospital losing face and possibly losing a patient !

I have lost count of the times I have been physically or mentally been made to feel dire due to being given cheap generics as 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

It took a lot of research and persuasion on my part to choose what would probably suit better and then the process of putting up the evidence so I could be allowed a better suited spectrum of drugs etc.

Thankfully In the longer term, even the costliest drugs become available as cheaper generics due to the expiry of patents etc.

Meanwhile I believe the point you raised to be very valid from my own experience.

Regards,

F.F.

JVONEARTH

Posted Thu Feb 15th, 2007 8:47pm Post subject: Cost or cure?
Thanks F F I know costs come into things but after all the years of treatment reading that i just thought how can you put a cost on health?
I just think it's unfair