Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 11:39am Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Ok there isn't really a lack of good culture in Poland, it's just that I don't speak the language yet and I stupidly moved here in exactly the year that the BBC decided to bring back Doctor Who. Subsequently I have to wait for the DVDs before I can see it because I'm a stickler for watching pure, unpirated material. Also I am completely ignorant of Kingdom, have seen very little of QI except for the occasional nibble on YouTube and have been completely denied Mr Fry's documentary on bipolar disorder, which I would love to have seen because I particularly admire his non-fiction oeuvres such as "Paperweight".
All this preamble leads me to a question - does anybody know a legal method by which I can receive terrestrial or digital BBC channels on computer or television (preferably television) in Poland? I am aware of a BBC satellite channel, but this is merely a selective offering of their output on other channels. I would also be interested in finding out how to receive ITV and Channel 4, as I would very much like to encourage my grandparents to move here for the rest of their lives and being able to see "Coronation Street" would be an added encouragement.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 11:52am Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Last I heard, the BBC were looking at some sort of On Demand service like Channel 4's. ( http://www.channel4.com/4od/ )

QI series 1 is available on dvd after a mass petition, as is the new Doctor Who (series 1 and 2 so far)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 12:07pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Bless you. Where did you hear this? I would love to know more. By the way, I have the first 2 seasons of the new Doctor Who. An old friend of mine (and Dorothy, as it happens) bought me the first season as a wedding present and I bought the second on my last return visit to England in September. I must say I am enjoying it immensely.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 1:29pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
I found out about it here, as a matter of fact.

http://stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712

Mildly miffed, as the Digital Rights stuff stops Mac users from being able to use it. Same for 4OD.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 2:02pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Also annoying - living abroad means I cannot access anything about Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Adventures on the BBC Website, let alone watch the programmes!

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 3:36pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Bez roznicy.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 3:47pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Had to ask my wife what that meant! What do you mean by saying it, meekychuppet?

Aoibheann

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 4:35pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Had to ask my wife what that meant! What do you mean by saying it, meekychuppet?

I think it might be easier to ask what doesnt he mean by it........

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 6:33pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
"Bai-ze rouge-neet-syay"

Literally "No difference" - basically what the Poles say to mean "Whatever" and it was nothing really.

Czy niebo i ziemia sie zatrząsły gdy sie urodziłem? Bóg wie, że wątpię. Nigdy nie rozumiałem dlaczego muszę pisać- ta obsesja głupców

Aoibheann

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 7:05pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Sinne Firnna Fáil, A tá fé gheall ag Éirinn; buion dár slua thar toinn do ráinig chugainn. Fé mhóid bheith saor, sean tír ár sinsir feasta, ní fhagfar fé'n tiorán ná fé'n tráil. Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil, le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil, le guna screach fé lámhach na bpiléar, seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.

Am i right or am i right....?

Can i get an Amen................!!

ysabella

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 7:11pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Ik kan er geen soep van koken.

Aoibheann

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 7:12pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
And might i add.... Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Aoibheann

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 9:26pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
My girl Sarah knows what im sayin................ Amen sister....!

ysabella

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 9:35pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Well, what I said was "I can't boil any soup from it." That's a Dutch saying meaning I can't make much out of it.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 10:09pm Post subject: Cultural starvation in Poland
Amen to that lol! Up the Irish!!!!

might I just add: Woop!