Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

A_Nurse

Posted Mon Feb 9th, 2009 2:26am Post subject: Cyril Smith, alive and well and living in Rochdale

I am a Liberal both politically and socially. It is a regret of mine that I have not been as active recently due to work commitments. However I did manage to get to a Party meeting this weekend organised by the Beckenham and Penge Liberal group.

The reason I am telling you all this is because Cyril Smith was the guest speaker. If you, like me assumed that dear old Cyril had passed away years ago, you couldn't be more wrong. He apparently is more passionate about politics than ever despite approaching his 81st birthday. He might not have been as clear as he used to be, and his speech was interrupted twice by trips to the small room, but his energy and drive were apparent to us all.

Still well over 25 stone Mr Smith is a tribute to modern day medicine. With the development of Anticoagulants, Statins, Diuretics, Vasodilators, and Beta blockers, not to mention Calcium Channel Blockers and Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors, perhaps we should all relax a bit and accept a bit of weight gain as part of the aging process.

I am off now to share a Pork Pie with Mrs Nurse safe in the knowledge that Cyril Smith is still alive.