Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

missprim_1962

Posted Sat Oct 4th, 2008 1:29am Post subject: Dambusters remake

I was very shocked to read in my local paper that the forthcoming remake of 'the Dambusters' of which Stephen is associated with? is to omit the real name of Guy Gibson's dog (nigger) and replace it with 'nidge'? Could I just say that this is quite clearly the wrong decision to take when dealing with factual events. Though perhaps not appropriate a name in today's society we are talking about history - which should not be tampered with. I cannotwatch this remake as it is not adherring to fact. You may well find that you will offend many veterans over this Stephen.

WhatWouldJeevesDo

Posted Sat Oct 4th, 2008 3:44am Post subject: Dambusters remake

I was very shocked to read in my local paper that the forthcoming remake of 'the Dambusters' of which Stephen is associated with? is to omit the real name of Guy Gibson's dog (******) and replace it with 'nidge'? Could I just say that this is quite clearly the wrong decision to take when dealing with factual events. Though perhaps not appropriate a name in today's society we are talking about history - which should not be tampered with. I cannotwatch this remake as it is not adherring to fact. You may well find that you will offend many veterans over this Stephen.

You have to understand that usually those sorts of changes are not from the writer. The studio reps most likely said that the name isn't appropriate. Keeping the name may be keeping to the integrity of history, but if the studio feels that it is going to offend people they will think it will be in their best interest to have the name changed.

One cannot really put the blame on anyone because none of us knows the details of what was behind the decision, but it is more likely than not that the name change was not the idea of Stephen.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Oct 6th, 2008 8:28am Post subject: Dambusters remake
It's most likely the producers or the film studiio who've made the decision. The people in control of things like the money. I would imagine in this more pc age big companies are going to choose the safe and comfortable option rather than risk any kind of flack from anyone being offended because let's face it there's always going to be stupid people who miss the point and make accusations of glamourisation of an offensive name or some such rubbish.

Assuming direct control...

gjhsu

Posted Wed Oct 8th, 2008 5:33pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
We all already know how Mr. Fry feels about studios' compliance

Skintman

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 2:34pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
We can all do without the PC lot, this was the 40's the name did'nt mean what its implied now, lets not change it please, for once stuff the PC lot !! My Great Uncle flew the Dams raid, and was one of the ones who made it home, I'm looking forward to the remake, as long as its not a Hollywood version of how the Americans did it!! ... remember Enigma.
Good Luck Stephen.

Ric

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 1:04am Post subject: Dambusters remake
1. I'm not a rabid member of the PC brigade
2. I hate distortians of history for the sake of Hollywood

...however, whilst it's true to say that Guy's dog's name in 1943 doesn't mean the same as it does in 2008, you have to admit that in 2008 that "that word" means rather a lot more than it did in 1943.

As such, I would be really uncomfortable if the original name was used - it's just not a word that I want to have anything to do with.

Anyway, let's face it, in the whole Dambusters story Guy Gibson's dog's name is hardly the most important point. lf in the remake it turned out that the raid was carried out by the USAF, and they destroyed key Iranian WMD sites - now that would get me annoyed

Skintman

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 1:34pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
I now hear there's a delay from another forum

The producer of the film is at the moment in "A no win situation" If &when they do get an agreed name for the dog, there is still the small matter of the word "n r" that was the code name for the Dams' successful breaching. He is asking how far that he should bend history in the cause of "PC"

silky

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 5:55pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
Hey guys and gals let's not get hung up on the dog's name. It is an irelevancy.
It really does not matter whethtr the dog is called Nigger, Digger, Trigger
Fluffy or Pip. The dog itself is important in showing part ofGuy Gibsonàs emotional side.

Cast selection will be important .I hope that if any Americans are chosen they will fill only the roles of the numerousCanadian and one American aircrew that flew on the traid. I would hate to see Mel Gibson playing his namesake, or
worse - Tom Cruise in the role of Gibson

II am very happy that Stephen Fry is writing the screenplay. He has (as they say) a safe pair ot hands

FeiJi Fancier

Posted Thu Jan 8th, 2009 12:08pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
I think the dog is not something that needs to be mentioned at all. That's the best way to avoid any controversy, surely.

There is more than enough new material and information about the actual event to make the film more accurate and longer - and people's lives and their contributions are surely more important.

While Gibby no doubt had a bond with his pet, I don't think it is of such importance that it needs to be considered at all.

I'm sorry if this upsets some people who seem to want a verbatim remake of the original film, but I'm confident that a new, more involved and moving film would be a better idea.

Similarly with the success code word, why mention it at all? While the word in question was no doubt used it's not so important that it actually needs to be voiced.

Porge

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 1:16pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
I saw this film as a child and also as an adult. The name of Guy Gibson's dog didn't present a problem to me. No normal person would think anything of it. Why do we pander to all this PC nonsense? If these people read problems into the name, let them stay away from the film. It's a historical story and Nigger was not only the dog's name, but also the code word for the operation and as such should not be altered. I'm afraid that there are a certain minority in society who just constantly look for problems. Should the Aussie word "Pom" be removed from historical films or the American word "Limey"? Of course not ! Should I complain because as a child, I was called "Ginger Nut" and "Copper Knob"? What pathetic people they are. Stay true to the original,Stephen and ignore these idiots, in the name of common sense.

Porge

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 1:22pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
I see that in my recent blog the name of the dog (Nigger) has been replaced with asterisks. I rest my case.........

Porge

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 1:36pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
P.S. The word comes from the latin word 'niger' meaning black.

FeiJi Fancier

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 5:38pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
Thus "Nigeria" = "The Black Country"?

I always thought that was Wolverhampton/Wednesfield/Staffordshire.

moobsuk

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 4:57pm Post subject: Dambusters remake
The Black Country is a loosely defined area of the English West Midlands conurbation, to the north and west of Birmingham, and to the south and east of Wolverhampton, around the South Staffordshire coalfield. It has a combined population of around one million.

By the late 19th century, this area had become one of the most intensely industrialised in the nation. The South Staffordshire coal mines, the coal coking operations, and the iron foundries and steel mills that used the local coal to fire their furnaces, produced a level of air pollution that had few equals anywhere in the world.

It is popularly believed that The Black Country got its name because of pollution from these heavy industries that covered the area in black soot. There is an anecdote (of dubious authenticity) about Queen Victoria ordering the blinds lowered on her carriage as the royal train passed through. However, historians suggest that it is more likely that the name existed even before the Industrial Revolution; outcroppings of black coal scarred the surface of the local heath, and the presence of coal so near the surface rendered the local soil very black.

This is the real reason its the Black Country

donhsf

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 9:23am Post subject: Dambusters remake
I have a great solution. Rather than a black labrador, give Gibson a motley colored mongrel with white hindquarters and call him "Knickers". This would be a name that makes sense, unlike "Nidge". It conjures up a visual image of the dog so the name is associated with the appearance and complements the other code word honoring "Dinghy" Johnson, all without offending anybody. When I first saw the censored American version years ago on T.V., I didn't give a thought to the name" Trigger". I recently saw an original version on Turner Classic Movies and didn't believe what I thought I was hearing until I looked it up to be sure. When I heard about the remake, I thought it would be taking political correctness too far to change the name, but now I'm not so sure. A lot of things in the original film were changed from the actual events, so this is not sacred writ. It might not be offensive, but it is certainly disconcerting to hear the communications guy shout "It's N......!" and see everybody celebrating: It conjures up images of "Blazing Saddles", rather than a serious war picture. Stephen:make the dog "Knickers" and your problems will go away.