Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

marianne123

Posted Sat Feb 19th, 2011 10:00pm Post subject: dear stephen

Hello, i recently read the interview you did for the guardian about mental illness. I have always been a fan of yours but only recently i have become aware that you suffer from mental illness. I also suffer from mental illness and reading about your experiences has really helped me. Since my father died earlier this year i have felt like giving up knowing that you have also experienced depression and thoughts of ending your life has given me some comfort, so thank you.
lot's of love
marianne x

marianne

marianne123

Posted Sat Feb 19th, 2011 10:03pm Post subject: dear stephen

Sorry, i'm a new memeber and just realised there is already a dear Stephan i didn't realise. Sorry fellow users!

marianne

Glen Huff

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2013 5:24am Post subject: dear stephen

Dear Mr. Fry,

My name is Glen Huff, and I reside in Seattle, WASHINGTON, and I have been an avid fan of your work for many, many years.

I first discovered your work via our PBS station here who first broadcast "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" , and then "Jeeves and Wooster", and both were brilliant.

I recently saw episodes of your tv series "Last Chance to See", and I loved it. Last night I saw the episode where you had traveled to New Zealand to see the flightless kakapo, and it was a marvelous episode.

On You Tube I also recently saw clips from your BBC series "QI" and I really enjoyed it. Wish we got that here on tv in the US.

I'm an avid darts player in our local pub league here in Seattle, and whilst watching the recent World Championships via computer, saw the tribute that Sky had compiled regarding the late, great Sid Waddell, and which contained your clip with Rod Harrington, and the late, great Sid. Seeing your commentary, and how much fun you three were having made me - to borrow from your phrase in the clip.. as happy as a pig in Chardonnay .. // Eric Bristow, MBE, kindly enabled me to meet Sid Waddell, Dave Lanning, and John Gwynne, back in 2005, when I was a spectator at the Las Vegas Desert Classic.

Sorry for the long message, I think you are an absolutely brilliant person, and wonderful comedic person. Keep doing what you are doing - the world needs you and your humour and insight - no one does what you do the way which you do it.

all best wishes,

Glen Huff
Seattle, WASHINGTON

jmmahnke

Posted Thu Jan 31st, 2013 4:43am Post subject: dear stephen

I don't know if you get around to reading any of this but I will comment anyway. I don't belong to any other "clubs". But I am a big fan of yours. I was surprised to learn that you are bipolar but I am sure that is one of the reasons I like you so much. I am bipolar 2. Bipolar people have to have a good sense of humor to survive. They also must not take themselves too seriously. You qualify on both counts.
I loved Kingdom and watch for other shows with you in them. I want to purchase your biography. I hope you have a long and varied career.

Southerngirl

Posted Fri Feb 22nd, 2013 10:21pm Post subject: dear stephen

Dear Stephen,

I am writing as I do not know if you realise that bipolar UK is having a serious funding crisis & may have to close. As 65,000 sufferers were helped last year, this would indeed be a grave pity. I suffer from bp1 & I've found their services, since diagnosis invaluable.
Many thanks for all your good work.
Southerngirl

Sg

Buttercup06

Posted Sat Mar 23rd, 2013 12:12am Post subject: dear stephen

Hi Steven and everyone, im also new to this whole blog thing but also suffer form mental ill health. I know it sounds really lame but you actually help me so much on a daily basis just through giving me hope that there is life beyond mental illness. I have had anorexia nervosa since the age of 11 and am now 23, still in recovery and having bene in and out of hopsitals, mental health units and the joy of sections and all that jazz, im at the stage were im opting to tackle the lats lap myself-head on, with the intention of making my illness work for me instead of the other way around. It sounds really stalkerish but when im freaking out or having those moments when im in danger of wallowing in a pool of self pity or caving into my anxiety i try and think "what would steven do"..so thank you for helping me through the dark days!I am also of course a huge fan of your work and found the documentarys on HIV, Bipolar and Vagner particularly interesting and have real every one of your novels which very much tickle my pickle!So again-thank you for the endless entertainment and also the QI episode which taught me that sperm whales have a 9 meter long penis (something i think everyone should know).
As for everyone else in this forum i feel really strongly about raising awareness and fighting stigma for mental health and am currently doing allot of campaigning for eating disorder services in Wales, however if anyone needs any help or support with anything please let me know, im happy to help

Buttercup

cerberos

Posted Mon Apr 8th, 2013 11:15am Post subject: dear stephen

Gutten tag Herr Bratten,

After your discreet promenade "sur pont, avec mouton" yesterday, I understand the reasons you made it clear you were not Welsh or Kiwi.

Notwithstanding, there is now an increasing interest in you from the population of Aberdeen!

Fit aboot it?

cetone

Posted Thu Jun 20th, 2013 3:31am Post subject: dear stephen

Dear Stephen;
Great admirer of you work,From Oz down under,I just discovered that a substance called "Lecithin" can be used to help in the treatment of BiPolar,I am using it to help improve memory in my advancing age.Not much of a dose is used but so far results are encouraging,I just thought it's worth some investigation.-----Tony.

Hecate

Posted Fri Jul 5th, 2013 3:53pm Post subject: dear stephen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWh0p_kQ88
un petit morceau pour tous les gens qui résident au pays du bipolaria- et dédié à l'Imperatrix ma soeur de coeur...

and now for the good news, if you can brave through the hurricanes of the mind dear depressives you shall find that there is peace for the good and rest for the wicked for a while, until the next tornado ravages your mind (just pray it is low on the fujita scale) and then once again, after you have cleared your soul of the wreckage and your mind of the detritus and damage you shall find that there is peace for the good and rest for the... etc ad infinitum... ad nauseam...

Da tempeste il legno infranto
Se poi salvo giunge in porto
non sa più che desiar.
Così il cor tra pene e pianto,
or che trova il suo conforto,
torna l'anima a bear.
Da tempeste, ecc.

When the ship, broken by storms,
Succeeds at last in making it to port,
It no longer knows what it desires.
Thus, the heart, after torments and woes,
Once it recovers its solace,