Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

kingSimmo

Posted Wed May 19th, 2010 10:39pm Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

I can't believe this. Just momments ago on the news i saw that legislation is about to pass in Uganda, one of the more prosperous African states, outlawing homosexuality. As well as being labeled an 'abomination' by one government official, being gay in Uganda could soon be punishable by death or a life sentence in gaol.
Truly the abomination lies in the fact that this sort of legislation can pass at all. As a race we've all just got a little worse.

AC

Posted Wed May 19th, 2010 11:28pm Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

It's terrible. Is there any action anyone can take to stop it? I first heard about this in December, and a bunch of us in a Facebook group called the U.S. State Dept. and the White House to ask them to intervene in some way, but I don't know if the government ever did anything. That someone could lose their life for being homosexual is just horrible and sets the human race back several centuries.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

joan

Posted Thu May 20th, 2010 6:44am Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

There's a similar thread in Zero Room. Here's what I posted there:-

There are all sorts of side issues too, when you repress something like this. 40 years ago being gay was still demonised in society in the Western world, even though the law was changed to accept the legality of homosexuality.

My best friend married a gay man who was in absolute denial. He was religious too - a catholic. He rarely wanted sex - perhaps he could bring himself to do it about twice or three times a year. When she tried to get him interested, he shunned her, and said that sex was only for procreation. After their rare lovemaking he would hurry to the shower. We were all a bit naive back then, and she never guessed he was gay - he accused her of being 'over-sexed' and she believed him.

This is what will happen in Uganda - people will either try to repress or try to hide their sexuality, and what better way than hetero marriage? Then the poor partner is condemned to a loveless, sexless life - well, they both are I suppose.

We all know that a person's sexuality is not a choice, it is the way they are. I'm a short, dark haired woman. I could disguise what I am by wearing ultra high heels and bleaching my hair, but I'd still be short, dark haired woman - just a very uncomfortable one!!

People can't change what they are born like, and have a right to be proud of who they are. We in the West understand this. I have no idea why Uganda embraces willful ignorance in this matter. What on earth are they afraid of? Perhaps someone should tell them it isn't contagious!!

Of course, religion is behind it - isn't it always when evil deeds are done?

Nitro

Posted Sat May 22nd, 2010 11:08pm Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

I've known straight men who did not have the sex drives their female partners did. And they'd get accused of being gay, when they weren't. They just weren't the same.

I'm not surprised by Uganda. And I'll be even less surprised that most 'civilized' governments will carry on, ignoring the new excuse to slaughter even more people. They've got a horribly bloody history there the last few decades ( Google it for yourselves ), and not one government did a damn thing. So there's millions of skulls around and thousands of living amputees. Guess some countries were/are too distracted by the hope of buying cheap petrol. Many interests disguised as 'security' related. Um hmm...

Really? Wow.

wildfire

Posted Sun May 23rd, 2010 7:01pm Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

Yeah I don't know what to think about this one. It's so wrong it almost defies belief.

The Beeb had a reporter in a church in Uganda where a person dressed as a preacher was spouting hatred against homosexuals. It was almost comical. The reporters' only comment was 'I've never heard so much hatred in a church in a long time'

Nitro

Posted Thu May 27th, 2010 8:48pm Post subject: Death Penalty for Homosexuality

Sounds to me like that reporter have had his/her head stuck in the sand somewhere for a little too long.

Really? Wow.