Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Spleen et Idèal

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 9:07pm Post subject: deep pressure therapy
Whenever I'm feeling anxious or distracted, I've found one of the most helpful ways to relax is to place a soft 10-pound weight square in the middle of my stomach, occasionally rolling it up to my sternum and back again. Try it! You'll never believe how soothing this can be until you see for yourself. Here's the soft weight I use...absolutely incredble:
http://www.nefitco.com/danskin_%201lbmedineball.html

I got the idea from something I read about online called "Sensory Integration therapy" and "deep pressure therapy", where they actually have people wear weighted vests all day to calm them down and improve their focus. Here's a related research paper:
http://www.rehab.queensu.ca/cats/PDFs%5C14.pdf

Clinical Scenario

The weighted vest is based on the sensory integration technique of deep pressure (e.g. deep pressure touch is the sensation arising from hugging, cuddling, squeezing, stroking or holding). Deep pressure is used to assist the child to self-calm and relax so sensory stimuli can be processed; it promotes a calmer, more organized interactive environment. The vest provides the child with unconscious information from muscles and joints. Studies suggest that it may also stimulate the production of neurotransmitters to modulate arousal levels similar to the effect of medication.

melampus

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 6:45am Post subject: deep pressure therapy
I recently saw a documentary about a woman with autism who worked on a cattle farm. She noticed (and this was many years ago) that some cattle that came through the 'crush' (a kind of restraining device that locks around the animals' neck) to be vaccinated etc. became very calm. She built her own 'crush' in her lounge room and kind of crushed herself (very gently, of course!) on a regular basis, with very positive results. I think she may have been a pioneer of this kind of the therapy; alas, I can't remember her name. But she is now a very major figure in animal welfare in the US cattle industry. And she is autistic!

I reckon whatever works, do it. There is a reason why we all need a hug sometimes.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 7:48am Post subject: deep pressure therapy
Huh. Neat idea. Probably a decent work-out, too.