Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

panda

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 12:56pm Post subject: depressed
hi
am feeling horrible.
is quite annoying as had been feeling ok, quite good, until quite recently. counselling was good, difficult but felt like i was making progress. and was doing lots of things to make things better.
then over the weekend it just hit me and my mood totally sunk.
my boyfriends' step mum has not been given long (she has cancer) - 2 months. apart from the sadness and surrealness, it is also making everyone - boyfriends mum (step mum's partner) act strangely.
on top of other stuff that's going on at the moment. my mum is doing my head in constantly. and im just quite depressed now.
other feelings that i've been feeling have run their course and past through me. but depression feels like a slump that it is difficult to get out of.

panda

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 3:26pm Post subject: depressed
can anyone remember/think of any coping strategies to help with feeling down?

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 5:41pm Post subject: depressed
Hello Panda,

From similar experiences I would say that it is good to remember three things at this time:

1) That otherwise you where previously doing well. This implies that you have set a new level of mental / emotional health to which you one day will return.

2) What you are facing would confound most humans. You are not feeling 'low' only because you are prone to depressive moods, but also because this would be a challenging time for anyone in your position. Give yourself credit for the things you are doing right, even if that is just washing and eating.

3) This will pass.

Meanwhile take good care of yourself ,

Regards,

F.F.

panda

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 5:57pm Post subject: depressed
Thank you FF.

Those thoughts are extremely helpful. I will read them a few more times and remind myself of them. The first one is very true. And the second one is too, it just feels lonely.

So thank you for your kind post.

Panda

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 7:05pm Post subject: depressed
Thank you FF.

Those thoughts are extremely helpful. I will read them a few more times and remind myself of them. The first one is very true. And the second one is too, it just feels lonely.

So thank you for your kind post.

Panda

Hello again Panda, I can truly appreciate that you would "feel lonely" at this time. Remember that this feeling of ' living within a vacuum' is yet another perceptual distortion that depression or adversity can create within us.

In reality you are sharing the situation with the other people around you who are also witness to these circumstances and feeling helpless - plus you are sharing the feelings of depression with many of us out here too.

I think what I am trying to say, is to try and not fall for the tricks that depression plays with your perceptions as best you can. Accept the feelings of loneliness as they happen, but "look over their shoulder" at the other people around you - and the future in which resolution resides.

Regards,

F.F.

Maniac

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 7:10pm Post subject: depressed
Take care Panda.

Nadia

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 7:13pm Post subject: depressed
Dear Panda,

I'm so sorry You are depressed - don't
have any clever words or advices [ ], just can tell You
that I know how it feels and You are definitely not
alone.

panda

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 9:42pm Post subject: depressed
thank you all, it does help.
thank you FF you are right. i've never had it explained to me like that before, but i'm sure you are right, and is good to try and separate what is reality and what is a depressed feeling.

Maniac

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 10:03pm Post subject: depressed

I think what I am trying to say, is to try and not fall for the tricks that depression plays with your perceptions as best you can. Accept the feelings of loneliness as they happen, but "look over their shoulder" at the other people around you - and the future in which resolution resides.

Regards,

F.F.

I like that.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jun 12th, 2007 5:14am Post subject: depressed
I agree with FF. Will jump on the PC tonight and will try and contribute more. I am at writing this from work, with one eye on the screen, and one eye at my boss' workstation. Must look like a Chameleon to my work mates actually....
In the mean time maybe stick on a CD that reminds you of happier times. Music is great for recalling thoughts, especially the first time you heard the song.
Make a realistic plan for the next two days. Write a short story, write a poem, write some lyrics, perhaps tuck them away somewhere for later, or just for the hell of it put them on this site. Maybe try and do something minor that you have been putting off for a while... I know it's hard.
But most of all, take care and hang in there Panda.
xox
Pete

panda

Posted Tue Jun 12th, 2007 12:16pm Post subject: depressed
thanks Pete. The image of you as a chameleon made me smile!
speaking of nostalgia, i have been re-reading books i used to read as a child/teenager (i can do this on the train, i don't have an ipod or walkman). Think I need to get into some new music actually.
I have to be at work at the moment, so can't do anything creative really. Although more to the point is that I can never think of any ideas! Maybe one day i will get some.
panda

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jun 12th, 2007 12:49pm Post subject: depressed
Hi Panda,
Am home now, so I can write with both eyes on the screen.
You picked up on a good point with regards to reading the same books that you did as a child/teenager. I still have some of my kids books on the book shelf, and have at times replaced some of the ones that I have thrown/given away over the years. When all is bad with the World, and I feel insecure inside, familiarity helps me lots. Reading the books I did as a kid certainly helps, even if it's just a chapter or two.
Another thing I'll admit to is that every night I need the TV on in order to fall asleep. I have a stack of old videos and DVD's that I have watched over and over again.
I don't need to look at the screen, and in fact I dim it slightly, as I know what's going on. It's just a familiar program with familiar voices.
I hate the nights, and this helps me lots. It initially drove my partner nuts, but even he is used to it now, and it's not unusual to come home after band practice and see the TV going with an old episode of Porridge, Blackadder or even Fry and Laurie playing away.
I guess when we are young some of us crave the things that make us feel secure. I certainly still crave the security that a little bit familiarity seems to offer.
As far as ideas for things to write about. If you're stuck, maybe pick up the paper or go to a news website. Look at the headline that appeals to you most of all. Don't go any further. Just start writing. At the end of each line, say to yourself what if ....... ???? You'll be amazed what you might come up with.
Creativity is what I live for. It's my own little world, and I can make it what I want it to be.
Anyway take care Panda and bye for now,
oxo
Pete

panda

Posted Tue Jun 12th, 2007 2:06pm Post subject: depressed
hiya
i've always liked listening to audio tapes. i like listening to new ones. but have listened to very familiar ones over and over again, to help me go to sleep. because they are so familiar i don't worry about falling asleep and missing it. but its something to occupy me while i'm falling to sleep. they are very comforting as well. i particularly like comedies. so hancock's half hour. and the beiderbecke tapes and the beiderbecke affair. they are brilliant. adrian mole as well. i like them because you can have your eyes closed. the dvds sound very soothing as well. why is it always easier to fall asleep in front of the tv?? if i ever try that though, what happens when the dvd has finished?
i want to buy some dvds though. i love blackadder. would like to buy seinfeld because they never show that here. and golden girls. that always cheers me up!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 5:51am Post subject: depressed
if i ever try that though, what happens when the dvd has finished?
Hi Panda,
Has your tele (or DVD) got a sleep function on it ??
I.E. Turn off in 30/60/90 Mins type thing.
I usually keep the remote handy, stubble around (while still half asleep) and hit the off button if the TV starts to wake me up.
Catch ya
oxo
Pete

panda

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 6:04am Post subject: depressed
hiya pete
can't sleep! no i don't think it has a sleep function, but i'll have a look!