Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ArleneA

Posted Wed Mar 21st, 2012 9:26pm Post subject: depression

@ Joan - yes you are completely right in saying that "things change in the end".

2009 was by far the worst year of my life to date. I had separated from my husband, did not have my 3 sons with me all the time, and had just come out of hospital after a 14 week stint. Yes you read that correctly 14 weeks. Not good. I had infact become institutionalised. I only felt safe in that damn hospital ward. Sad but true.

Anyway it was time for me to be discharged and begin to live on my own for the first time in my life! I was terrified. To cut a long story short, depression consumed me for 18 months. I had no interest/enjoyment in anything. Nothing seemed worth the effort. Nothing.

I could not even get out of my bed in the mornings. I often had to call my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) and tell her for the upteenth time that week "Linda, I cannot get out of my bed..." God knows what I was expecting her to do. I would say the hardest thing to deal with was not having my boys with me 24/7. We had shared custody; so the days I did not have them well I guess I did not feel like a mother.

The black cloud followed me and tormented me every minute of the day. I actually dreaded bed time because I knew how bad I was going to feel in the morning. What a vicious circle to be in. In 2009 alone I had around 6 hospital admission through severe depression.

I am in a better place now, a much better, happier place. One morning in April 2010 I felt good again. Got out of bed no problem, and felt content and happy.

The same can happen for you:) I hope it does. Depression is a terrible thing. My family were no support to me at all during this very bad time. I have since disowned them. Enough is enough. If your family cannot be there for their own flesh and blood in the time of a crisis, then what is the point in them being there at all??

There will be light at the end of the tunnel for you, Joan. Believe in that.

"This is me - don't try and change it..."

BETHMEREDITH

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 11:32pm Post subject: depression

i havnt been hear in a while , i am trying to fight through the depression but have been loosing for a while ,i managed to get in trouble with the school as absences mounted up as i couldn't bring myself to go out of the house my doctor advised me to explain now i feel all the teachers look at me ,i started taking the medicine i was given that didn't work so now on max dose plus other pills to fight the anxiety of leaving my home . my doctor wants me to talk with someone, i am sick of putting on a face for everyone my family think im fine and i truly am not, i know i am not the only person coping with this ,it is scary place to be and i wouldnt wish this on an enemy there is a old saying stop the world i want to get off , thats all i want

joan

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 3:55am Post subject: depression

BethMeredith - don't expect too much of yourself. I find that just doing something small, such as a walk in the garden, can help me on the road to being a bit more positive. I wouldn't worry about the teachers: at least they know now that you have a real problem, and won't give you a hard time.

Give yourself a treat every day - even if it is just a cup of coffee with cream (my own favourite) or listen to your favourite music, or put on a great DVD. I use 'Love Actually' as part of my depression treatment, plus other personal favourites such as Shirley Valentine, Educating Rita or V for Vendetta. I don't think it is coincidental that all those last three films feature women who start off powerless but end up really strong.

You ARE strong inside - you wouldn't be fighting the condition on here if you weren't - so give it time, and take little steps to get back into the world. Friends can be every bit as good as a counsellor sometimes.

I have found like-minded friends and this is a great help. I am quite old, and have found my more recent friends through U3A. When I was young, I made all my friends through a hiking club and a cycle touring club (YHA and CTC) None of these are mainstream organisation, but we are not mainstream , are we?

BETHMEREDITH

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2012 4:00am Post subject: depression

hi a bit of advice is needed, i got an appointment to go talk with someone to give me coping techniques etc, the thing was i couldnt get no one to watch my kids so along they came,so in we went ,i did what i always do in front of my kids im fine nothing is wrong im happy im ok you get the picture he asked a couple of questions i lied through my teeth, he said im ok and was discharged, the thing is maybe even if my kid were not there i may have lied somewhat, as i trust very few people ,and he turned up 15 minutes late what made me think less of him only to be asked in and told to go wait again as he had forgotten something,and why do doctor alway want to be the most intelligent person in the room? i dont know i seem to be rambling, but i know i need to talk, but at the same time im scared that if i start talking i might never stop and i dont want to open up a can of worms which has long been sealed i just dont know what to do,please i need some advice

joan

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2012 4:31am Post subject: depression

Well, you had a useless counsellor, Beth, so forget him!

I don't know many coping strategies, except to tell yourself the true fact that it is NOT your fault. Do small things that take very little time, instead of feeling guilty for not achieving anything major. And draw comfort from your children - I always did. Try to eat well.

And don't try to dig deeply into things that have happened that were traumatic in the past. I believe in leaving well enough alone.

Another thing that helps me is nature - looking at flowers, walking along a grassy path, planting seeds in my garden, looking at a tree against a blue sky.......these things take the edge off unhappiness.

I do hope things improve for you soon. I think they will, because you are talking on here!

joan

Posted Fri Aug 3rd, 2012 11:47pm Post subject: depression

Another help to getting rid of depression - for me anyway - has been doing something that scares me a bit. Getting through it was a great lift.

How are things now, Beth? I know that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. And I know counsellors can be great or not so great, but it is always worth another try.

depressedGirlfromGermany

Posted Sat Jan 26th, 2013 8:06pm Post subject: depression

Well, first of all.... Sorry for my english, I try to do my best

I need to tell you something.

I didn

k
s how I got in touch with Stephen Fry.

And surfing the internet finding more stuff about the best friend of Hugh, I found out that there is a documentary about depression that

h
t have been here with me, I wouldn´t be here right now.

Well, I was really surprised how honestly Stephen spoke about his bipolar.
A famous Show star, comedian or whatever in Germany would not (no no never ever!!!) speak that honestly about a mental illnes.

I liked it very very much, how polite Stephen spoke to the different people, listened and was so interessted in them.
And I saw, that my emotions, my feelings and sadness is not so different from people like I use to think.

I registred here to say THANK YOU MR. STEPHEN FRY for this very good movie, for showing me that I am not alone with this, to show me, that it

n
t say "thanks for all your suicidal tendencies although you are rich and famous", but I never thought that a famous and beloved one could feel the same way like I do.

Although I have read and watched shows or talked to my psychiatrist, I thought that famous people feel sad, but get over the hump, get through this anyway.

(Hope you understand my strange english )

Thank you so much for changing my mind!

aidrenegade

Posted Fri May 3rd, 2013 10:20am Post subject: depression

Unfortunately my main medication for depression is still wine. It's just great to put on a live music dvd and dream away for a few hours before nodding off with another day over.

I don't consider suicide (no, really I don't!) because that would mean lifes beaten me for good and I'm just not going to let that happen!

Belated congratulations to 'Sir Fry' for making that documentary about his battle with depression!

joan

Posted Fri May 3rd, 2013 11:31pm Post subject: depression

Just found the true meaning of 'Pom'. It started off as 'immigrant' but Australians like to play with words, so immigrant became 'Jimmy Grant', which sort of sounded a bit like 'pomegranate' which morphed into 'Pom' about 100 years ago.

My own view is that it is an acronym: POM = Perfection Of Mankind. For some reason the locals don't believe me, but I say it is self evident.

PS
Having recently recovered from severe gastro-enteritis I am holding off depression for now. It sort of hovers in the background, but, well, let's hope it fades away.