Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ratoutofhell

Posted Wed Sep 12th, 2007 8:36pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
I love this song. That is all.

Seconded. And from one of my all-time favourite films

Personally, I don't much care what people believe, as long as they leave me alone to believe what I want, and preferably don't spend their time trying to blow people up.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

ysabella

Posted Wed Sep 12th, 2007 9:26pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
I thought it was "The Da Vinci Code"? He's right either way, though. X-D

Ah, you're right - my error. And yes, I agree with you.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Sep 16th, 2007 1:24pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
LMAO

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 9:04pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
The funniest part of the whole Derek whats-his-face thing is when they are in the dark with the night vision light on and mid-silence he jumps and says "did you hear that?!" everyone jumps and freaks out when nothing happened. its actually comical how worked up these people get, how they believe all his tripe and noone questions it even when they have video evidence of him just making it up.

btw, Red Raven Im with your train of thought.... about reality, I believe it is a perception. Its a personal belief, if people dont agree then I wont hold it against them

Hanny

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 1:24pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
hello to everyone who reads this.
i hate dereck acora- like many of you i believe he is a total fake! the whole way he acts and reacts to stuff-FAKE
the way he gets 'possessed'-FAKE

but that doesnt mean to say that this kind of thing isnt real or cant happen. the most genuine cases of people who experiance things with the supernatural are the ones we will never hear about. they will never try to make money and fame from it. probably because it has actually messed them up and caused them a great deal of distress. i agree there are many fake exploiters out there though.

if anyone has any comments/ disagreements id love to hear them!

ysabella

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 2:51am Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
I try not to kill people's joy, but since you asked...

My guess is, this kind of thing is not real, and cannot happen. This Derek dude is a fake for sure.
I think that a lot of people sincerely believe that psychic things happen to them. I think they are wrong. However, I don't think they are bad people for believing in it.

I had a long conversation with someone on another website who is convinced she is psychic and was expressing great pity for me that I don't believe in it. And I'm not trying to say she wasn't sincere; she might be (she sells her services online, hard to say). Her examples were that she likes to guess what color car will drive by next, or guess what her co-workers will wear to the office.
I said, I think you are very, very perceptive and you can reason very quickly. Some people can analyze very fast and it feels like no thinking was involved. This is a wonderful skill to have.

To give an example, in the book The Gift of Fear, Gavin de Becker discusses how we use intuition to sense danger. Intuition is a very quick process but it is really perception and analysis. His example was, you come home from work and are walking to your door, and you feel sure that something is not right. You can't put your finger on it, but something isn't right.

Perhaps the porch light is off, but you left it on. Or the cat is outside, but you left her inside. Or the curtains are drawn, but you left them open. Possibly you hear the clinking of an unfamiliar car engine cooling nearby. You don't fully register these facts, but you notice them on some level and you feel uneasy.

So if you don't go in the house and call the cops and it turns out someone was in your house, you may well feel like you "somehow knew" something was amiss. But in reality, you observed it.

shatzi

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 6:02pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
I do believe there are things we don't understand yet, call it paranormal if you will. I have personally experienced things and I'm not that far gone to have had a mass hallucination with others at the same time.
BUT!
I don't believe every bump in the night is a ghost or evil spirit. I don't watch psychics on TV, I don't go in for that. What is funny about Most Haunted is that blonde woman who screams and shrieks for dear life if someone so much as moves a chair. Things like books fly off of shelves but never on camera. Cameras are aimed up their nostrils instead of at the rooms themselves. If Blondie is that nervous to scream if someone breathes on her maybe she needs another job. I did see a Harry Hill clip on YouTube where he showed a clip of their van with the Scooby Doo theme played over it. Hysterical! And why does "Sam" always conjure up the most vile rapist murderers slashers in history?
For those in the US (maybe you get it in the UK) I do enjoy Ghost Hunters on our Sci Fi channel. They seem to be on the level and have disproved many claims but they do believe that some things can be as yet unexplained. I don't know why they take along the occasional psychic.
Oh, the Ghost Hunters did interview Most Haunted's Blondie on their Saturday night radio program and they really made her angry by commenting on how her team always manages to get a 100% success rate.

ysabella

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 9:50pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
Penn & Teller: Bullshit! did a great episode on ghost hunters. Basically, they claim to use sensors for certain electromagnetic waves and stuff to supposedly hunt ghosts, without any proof that ghosts affect them and with pretty major ignorance about what they actually are measuring (not understanding what can actually set off the sensors, also not calibrating them). They claim that "orbs" in photographs prove something about ghosts existing, when there's no proof at all.

No understanding, either, of confirmation bias. That's a very important concept. You can't set up a proper test of an idea without understanding that you aren't impartial.

shatzi

Posted Sat Oct 20th, 2007 3:16am Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
Penn and Teller crack me up sometimes, I like what little I have seen. The Ghost Hunters though never claimed that orbs are ghosts. They usually write them off as dust and/or bugs. I hate the orb nuts. It's DUST!
P&T did something on psychics (I think it was P&T) that was really good, you put a psychic on the spot and they can't do a thing.

Aoibheann

Posted Mon Oct 22nd, 2007 4:39pm Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
Derek Acorah - genuine medium or... a load of bollocks?

A load of Bollocks everytime.

ysabella

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 12:20am Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
Penn and Teller crack me up sometimes, I like what little I have seen. The Ghost Hunters though never claimed that orbs are ghosts. They usually write them off as dust and/or bugs. I hate the orb nuts. It's DUST!
I haven't seen the TV series about ghosthunters, but a lot of people who supposedly track ghosts appear to believe that orbs mean something. On the P&T episode, the hunters sent them some photos later taken on the day they filmed, claiming that "orbs are the basic energy medium of the spirit world" or some stupid crap like that.

P&T did something on psychics (I think it was P&T) that was really good, you put a psychic on the spot and they can't do a thing.
James Randi has designed the bests tests for these things, because he's a magician and knows how tricks are done. He is the inspiration that drive Penn & Teller's TV show - they interviewed him on one DVD extra and they said as much, telling him the whole show was his fault.

You would be surprised, though. You can show that something's a fake, and people still believe in it - because they want to (or, as Randi would say, they need to). One of Randi's most famous cases was when he exposed televangelist Peter Popoff on The Tonight Show, when Johnny Carson was still the host (this was in the 70s). He went to one of Popoff's event venues and used a radio scanner, and found that Popoff's wife mingled with the audience and took notes ahead of time, and relayed them to him via radio (Popoff wore an earpiece). They showed the tape without the radio traffic, and then with it, although it had to be heavily edited because of her very offensive and racist remarks about audience members. Carson was amazed, and in fact sent money to the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation) up until his death.

However, most of the phone calls to the network were "How do I reach this Popoff fellow?" or "Thank goodness you exposed this fake Popoff. Now I'm giving my money to this other televangelist faith healer guy." Seriously.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 3:41am Post subject: Derek Acorah.....Genuine Medium or
that was an interesting wikipedia article, ysebella.

i like to think of myself as open minded, but realize i'm not. i wish sometimes i could have a truly unbiased mind...like a robot.

i suppose there would be some drawbacks.