Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Outofverbs

Posted Sun Aug 21st, 2011 10:42pm Post subject: Description difficulties!

So I just registered and I felt I should write myself a good and long description, but lo and behold it was completely erased when these very annoying things kept popping up on my screen as I kept trying to write.

It is extremely annoying, and one of them even took me off-site without asking. Is there something I'm missing? Is it something I've turned on or should be able to turn off?

Best regards, Andreas.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 4:58am Post subject: Description difficulties!

Sounds an awful lot like advertising pop ups which I have never encountered on the site. Do you have a pop up blocker that you can use. Firefox has one automatically.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Wed Aug 24th, 2011 3:32pm Post subject: Description difficulties!

I would def use Firefox if you don't know. Download and install it, then open it.
Click on 'Firefox' for the drop-down list of options and click on 'add-ons', then 'get add-ons'.

I fully recommend the fully, for privacy's sake, and at the very least. Scripts can be malicious and most ads are built using scripts.

AdBlock Plus
NoScript ( you may find it slightly annoying but it will also teach you alot )
HTTPS Everywhere ( this will force the site into a secure connection if the designers of the site had the sense enough to offer it...not all of them do..)

That's probably enough to get you started and not be overwhelmed.

Be aware that in order to help 'protect' you, some of these add-ons will impact what you see, content-wise, on any site. That's because something like NoScript is going to block scripts, period. Just play with these add-ons.

Also, when you fire up FF I'd suggest you go into 'start private browsing' before heading anywhere. Click on 'firefox', go to 'options', go to 'content' and UNCHECK the javascript box.

If a site demands it and you need it, like a bank site, just go back in and check the box. But beware sites that demand it when you're not even interested in 'interacting' with them. If the site was designed well to begin with, they wouldn't require it.

sorry if that's overload but we're ALL hooked into the same network when we're online and the more of us that browse as securely and privately as possible, the fewer opportunities for exploit against all the people using the internet there will be...

Really? Wow.

TomHRXi

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 7:38am Post subject: Description difficulties!

yaa even i am facing same problems