Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nele

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:02pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Cheerio everyone,

I just registered and oh gosh am I scared. So many things I can't do or say. The terms of registration made me promise not to talk about you know what (no, I don't mean you know who, I mean being rubbed at with sticky bits). So I will behave myself (which is a bit unfair since I only joined because Mr. Fry is such a sexy hunk and now I can't even talk about my obsession) and just say the following:

Following its success I have decided to add my own personal blog: as you might see from the first entry it will not always be take the form of the typical breezy journal, though sometimes it will be just that.

Is there a tiny mistake in this sentence? It's on the main page, if you wondered where I found it. The good thing about trying to correct Stephen Fry is that he's an Englishman who studied in Cambridge while I am a German who just applied to and was rejected by the aforesaid institution. So either I am right and my ego will be bouncing of very tall buildings in the next months or I am wrong and really I am just a stupid German, what do I know. So which is it?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:58pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Greetings and welcome!

*puts cushions around a very tall building to protect your bouncing ego*

Yes, that sentence is . . . unusual. I think if the "be" is removed, it will read more smoothly. It looks as though Stephen meant to say, ". . . as you might see from the first entry, it will not always be taking the form of the . . . " but left the "ing" off of "take".

That's my supposition anyway. *runs and hides from potential, yet sexy, wrath of Stephen*

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

JSKanga84

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 1:32am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
You're absolutely right, Fryphile. Either take out the "be" or add -ing to the "take" and the sentence would be correct.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 1:44am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Actually it's a spacing error. "Betake" is an (albeit archaic) term. Not in vogue to be sure (and apparently including a spacing error) but used properly.

Nele

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 2:07am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Oh, lovely!

I hoped the mistake would be somewhat more creative than a forgotten gerund or a misplaced existence affirmation (be). Such a nice word, too. So despite being forbidden to talk about recreational activities I must say this is a rather jolly place. I am very happy I joined! Now, I only wonder how long it will take till someone removes the typo. Exciting. I also wonder whether it is normal to be excited about the possible removal of a minor typo. Well, I hope around here it is.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 2:09am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Oh, lovely!

I hoped the mistake would be somewhat more creative than a forgotten gerund or a misplaced existence affirmation (be). Such a nice word, too. So despite being forbidden to talk about recreational activities I must say this is a rather jolly place. I am very happy I joined! Now, I only wonder how long it will take till someone removes the typo. Exciting. I also wonder whether it is normal to be excited about the possible removal of a minor typo. Well, I hope around here it is.

LOL! Typo Watch, Day 1 begins!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:15am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Oh, lovely!

LOL! Typo Watch, Day 1 begins!

X-D X-D X-D

*pullsupachair*

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 1:36pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Actually it's a spacing error. "Betake" is an (albeit archaic) term. Not in vogue to be sure (and apparently including a spacing error) but used properly.

Leave it to Stephen to be linguistically archaic

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 4:00pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???

Leave it to Stephen to be linguistically archaic

And it's passive voice too! (Which apparently in no longer acceptable, I join the chorus of people who took their BAs when it was considered The Right Thing is going "WHHAAAAATTTT?!")

masquerade

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 5:04pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
To my knowledge, the passive is still The Right Thing in French, Italian and Spanish because we have to learn about it in school... so what on earth is the matter with the passive in English?

I thought that it was only the Americans that had a problem with it though? When it popped up on Word as a grammar error that I've written something in the passive in an English lesson recently, that's what my English teacher told me. But maybe she is living in the past also!

Bring back proper English!!!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 6:35pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
My understanding with the disdain toward passive voice in English is that it's more lumbering and sluggish than active voice.

I was hugging Stephen Fry . . .

compared to

I hugged Stephen Fry.

Bad example, cuz anyone of those would be FRICKIN SWEEEEEET.

Here's what William Strunk said about it.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 6:49pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
My understanding with the disdain toward passive voice in English is that it's more lumbering and sluggish than active voice.

I was hugging Stephen Fry . . .

compared to

I hugged Stephen Fry.

er.... silly question....

IsnĀ“t "was hugging" past continuous and "hugged" just simple past tense?

I thought passive voice would read:

Stephen was hugged by MEEEEEEEE

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 7:06pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
You're probably right, Gerti. Once I start thinking about Stephen hugging, I get all . . . huh? What was I talking about?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 8:00pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
I'm not quite sure what passive voice is these days to be honest, despite the fact I'm supposed to be imparting such wisdom. I'm in Canada now for my PhD and they act like passive voice is somehow the devil - I was always told some passive voice is expected in academic writing. From what I understand anything archaic is by archaic. I say, personally, fuck it. (Nothing will force me to give up "Whilst," NOTHING!)

masquerade

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:03pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
The passive voice is when someone/thing is having something done to them, for example "My ankle was bitten." The only other way to say that would be "Someone/thing bit my ankle," which is much more awkward to say, particularly if you are unsure who/what did the action.