Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nele

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 12:05am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
First of all I'd like to say that the passive voice is ardently loved and frequently used by me. Secondly, shouldn't this sentence be: the passive voice is being ardently loved ...

I really don't know. I mean they are both somewhat correct but musings about grammar make me unsure. I am, so to say usettled, or even unsured (don't use in English exams, I just invented it!) by linguistic cogitation.

And however interesting I do find your cerebration and circumspection of the subject (which, beside my bantering I really do, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here) I must admit that I believe the underlying assumption to err slightly on the side of ... correctness.

Fryphile wrote:

c_r wrote:
Actually it's a spacing error. "Betake" is an (albeit archaic) term. Not in vogue to be sure (and apparently including a spacing error) but used properly.

Leave it to Stephen to be linguistically archaic

And it's passive voice too! (Which apparently in no longer acceptable, I join the chorus of people who took their BAs when it was considered The Right Thing is going "WHHAAAAATTTT?!")

If you just have another short glance at the sentence in question:

Following its success I have decided to add my own personal blog: as you might see from the first entry it will not always be take the form of the typical breezy journal, though sometimes it will be just that.

I do believe this is not really very passive voicish at all but rather future 1 simple. I think a passification of the sentence would be something like this:

...the form of the typical breezy journal will not always be betaken by the entry...

Admitting that this does sound very archaic or simply wrong. Again, what does the Kraut know?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 12:55am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
First of all I'd like to say that the passive voice is ardently loved and frequently used by me. Secondly, shouldn't this sentence be: the passive voice is being ardently loved ...

I really don't know. I mean they are both somewhat correct but musings about grammar make me unsure. I am, so to say usettled, or even unsured (don't use in English exams, I just invented it!) by linguistic cogitation.

And however interesting I do find your cerebration and circumspection of the subject (which, beside my bantering I really do, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here) I must admit that I believe the underlying assumption to err slightly on the side of ... correctness.

Fryphile wrote:

c_r wrote:
Actually it's a spacing error. "Betake" is an (albeit archaic) term. Not in vogue to be sure (and apparently including a spacing error) but used properly.

Leave it to Stephen to be linguistically archaic

And it's passive voice too! (Which apparently in no longer acceptable, I join the chorus of people who took their BAs when it was considered The Right Thing is going "WHHAAAAATTTT?!")

If you just have another short glance at the sentence in question:

Following its success I have decided to add my own personal blog: as you might see from the first entry it will not always be take the form of the typical breezy journal, though sometimes it will be just that.

I do believe this is not really very passive voicish at all but rather future 1 simple. I think a passification of the sentence would be something like this:

...the form of the typical breezy journal will not always be betaken by the entry...

Admitting that this does sound very archaic or simply wrong. Again, what does the Kraut know?

Just don't take away me "Whilst!"

Nele

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 1:18am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
you can keep whilst but I want to have lest back! Loss of passive voice is bad but what about my subjuncive?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 1:22am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
you can keep whilst but I want to have lest back! Loss of passive voice is bad but what about my subjuncive?

But...but...whilst will be lonely without lest! They're friends! *lowerlipwibble*

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 1:50am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
An interesting question for you i have!

What voice is it that YODA speaks in, hmm?

Tell me, you will!!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 1:55am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???

Tell me, you will!!

Drunk!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 1:59am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Beer me, you will!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 6:04am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???

Tell me, you will!!

Drunk!

Only if he occasionally turns to Luke and slurs "I luuuuuuuuuurve youse!"

masquerade

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 7:36am Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Ooh I like lest... I also use thus more than people would like; I don't see a problem with it but I am told that most people don't use it. It is a shame that all these lovely words are fading into non-existence.

I would also like to advocate my love of the semi-colon; I don't know anybody else who uses it! It's use should be taught properly to students when they are learning about commas and full stops. My teacher only casually mentioned it when I reached GCSE level, but I use it all the time now; I can't stop myself!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 12:20pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Ooh I like lest... I also use thus more than people would like; I don't see a problem with it but I am told that most people don't use it. It is a shame that all these lovely words are fading into non-existence.

I would also like to advocate my love of the semi-colon; I don't know anybody else who uses it! It's use should be taught properly to students when they are learning about commas and full stops. My teacher only casually mentioned it when I reached GCSE level, but I use it all the time now; I can't stop myself!

I use the semi-colon. I used to use it a lot more but this year I've been told to avoid using it and use shorter sentences and shorter paragraphs for my essays because examiners don't like seeing big blocks of text or having to read long sentences. *grumble*

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:20pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
The homepage has been updated and re-worded, but the "be take" still remains.

Following the success of the site and my own personal blog, I now have podcasts for you to download at your pleasure. As I said of the blogs, you might hear from the first entry it will not always be take the form of the typical breezy journal, though sometimes it will be just that.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 1:26pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
The homepage has been updated and re-worded, but the "be take" still remains.

Following the success of the site and my own personal blog, I now have podcasts for you to download at your pleasure. As I said of the blogs, you might hear from the first entry it will not always be take the form of the typical breezy journal, though sometimes it will be just that.

I noticed that too. Just a few tweaks to the intro here and there and the "be take" bit is still there.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 5:09pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Do you think that Stephen edits his own intro page

Perhaps he´s left the "be take" in on purpose, to make people like me feel a lot better about their fallibility X-D

But let´s not be so nit-picky, please... I´ve spotted wee mistakes in some of Mr Fry´s books, so what ???

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 5:17pm Post subject: Did Mr. Oxbridge English make a mistake???
Do you think that Stephen edits his own intro page

Perhaps he´s left the "be take" in on purpose, to make people like me feel a lot better about their fallibility X-D

But let´s not be so nit-picky, please... I´ve spotted wee mistakes in some of Mr Fry´s books, so what ???

Yeah no one's perfect. People make typos all the time. Nowt new.