Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

LuLuLees

Posted Thu Sep 28th, 2006 12:57pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I wondered if people would share their opinions and/or experiences with alternative therapies such as the omega 3 oils and diet, reiki or energy therapies, meditation and the like. A friend of mine in Australia uses some of this work with clients who have high anxiety or are a little 'turbo charged' or depressed and it seems to have pretty good results...

Not nutty

Posted Sat Sep 30th, 2006 12:03am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
For me:
Lavendar oil on a hankie in your pillow, if you can't sleep it really does work for me, so calming.
As are relaxation music, panpipes etc. Although I can't stand listening to these if I'm not feeling low!!
If my mood starts to rise some classical music calms me down.
I do eat alot of oily fish.
Milky tea with honey used to work if I was tired but couldn't sleep.
A relaxing bath with lavendar crystals, I'm not keen on the smell, but it does relax!
A nice shoulder & back massage and a full facial. is so relaxing
The indian head massage was good later on but it made me feel a bit giddy and sickly so not too sure about that!
Saunas didn't work for me, I thought it'd calm me down but made me go the opposite, however I was on lithium at the time so could have something to do with that, avoided since!

foreveryoung

Posted Sat Sep 30th, 2006 2:56am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Yes, I have recently learnt about cell to cell communication and how the neurotransmitters work, and guess what, if we have enzyme defficiencies, then it effects us neurologically. Since taking various suppliments. (my body does not convert the food into the correct protiens) I have had an amazing change around.

ruthy

Posted Sun Oct 1st, 2006 11:22pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I've been managing on homeopathic remedies for the past 2 years now and I've found them so helpful.
I take 7 drops of Australian Bush Flower Essence am and pm every day and have a selection of little pills to take as and when needed to help with the symptoms when they arise.

Originally I turned to a homeopath out of sheer desperation while I was waiting for the NHS to get me an appt with a Community Psychiatric Nurse (12 months).
I can honestly say they saved my life!

I also watch what I eat and drink. Haven't tried Omega 3 suppliments yet but may well give them a try.

Love 2 all
Ruthy

MaryD

Posted Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 1:59pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi, I have another post about Omega 3 and Diet but I thought I'd say some more here as it's helped me soooo much!

I'm not manic-depressive but have suffered from terrible, long bouts of depression & anxiety (usually occuring separately but sometimes together). I've been on conventional sedatives, antidepressants, etc. but when, after lots of research, I tried Omega 3 and diet changes, these had a dramatically greater effect!!

My diet changes were: cutting out sugar, white foods (white bread, potatoes, white rice, etc.), alcohol, caffiene, sunflower oil & margarine (they have too much Omega 6 - I used moderate amounts of butter and extra virgin olive oil instead), and most processed foods, and cutting down on bread in general. If this sounds terrible, which it did to me at first, the effect on my mood in as little as 4 days was enough to convince me to keep going, and before long my addiction to sugar grew less and less till it disappeared! I was instead "addicted" to feeling more energetic and much more stable emotionally! I kept eating meat, and ate lots of veggies (with some butter - yum!), and had eggs for breakfast.

I also tried Omega 3 later, in the form of Neptune Antartic Krill Oil, which is very high in the DHA type of fatty acids which is the type that your brain desperately needs. I saw additional improvement within 4 days and after a month on it, most days I feel completely normal!!!

Fish Oil is a good source of DHAs too, though not quite as high. Cod Liver Oil is excellent for autumn and winter months, as it naturally has vitamin D which we get too little of in the colder months. You can take it in addition to fish oil or krill oil during those months, or by itself. It's best not to take over a tablespoon a day lest you overdose on the vitamin D.

Flaxseed oil has a different type of Omega 3 fatty acid which is useful for other things, but is not as directly helpful to your brain (it can be converted into the type your brain uses, but this conversion can only take place if your body is healthy to begin with!!).

Try to make sure your source of fish or Cod Liver Oil has good levels of NATURAL vitamin E in it (d-alpha tocopherals, not dl-alpha as it's the synthetic form) to keep the oil from going rancid in your body. Most top brands have the mercury and other contaminants mostly filtered out. Krill oil naturally has lots of antioxidants in it, so doesn't need added vitamin E, and it is naturally free of mercury and contaminants. If you're interested in the Neptune krill oil, I got it from http://www.betterhealthinternational.com; they do a very good price on it, and though they are in Florida they ship 2-4 bottles to the UK for only about £3 ($5.25)!

I would REALLY urge everyone suffering from any clinical mental disorder to take DHAs - the research I've seen is overwhelming and I personally have been completely transformed by it!!!

Note to anyone with schizophrenia: vitamin D is VERY important for this, as are DHAs. Cod Liver Oil has both!

Whew - that was a lot of information, but I submit it with the hope that it will help others as much as it did me!!!

ruthy

Posted Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 2:25pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi Mary
Wow that is a lot of info, but very useful.

Your diet sounds very much like the low carb one that I tried some years ago and I likewise was transformed with a lot more energy. Unfortunately I can't keep it up for long as my mood swings make me crave carbs and I am a self confessed Chocoholic so kept falling off the wagon!

Are there any contraindications with the fish oils for pregnant or nursing mums as I'm 8 months pregnant atm.

I used to have a friend whose son had suspected Tourettes. Unfortunately, like me she waited for so long for a Psychiatric assessment on the NHS she got desparate and tried fish oils, homeopathic you name it, on him. She was amazed at the results from the fish oils, they really calmed him down.

MaryD

Posted Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 3:54pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi, Ruthy,

I "fell off" the wagon quite a few times but always clambered back on when I noticed that my moods got quickly darker as soon as I started eating sugar again. I was a major chocoholic before starting the diet, and the more depressed I was, the more sugar I craved, so it was a vicious cycle. It helped to keep anything "bad" out of the house - my cravings weren't so insistent if I had to walk all the way to the shop to get the chocolate!! My husband was really helpful with this - in fact his health was improved too with avoiding sugar, as well as my children's health. (My slightly hyper son calmed down a lot!)

Finally I noticed the cravings coming less and less and I was able to avoid sugar altogether. I would look at chocolate and think, this is going to make me feel terrible, and think, uh-uh. Also now if I eat even a little too much bread or carbs, I feel almost instant nausea with fast-beating heart. When I look at sugary things now, they look far too sweet. Your body really does eventually adjust, as long as you're consistent.

There's an interesting website you might want to check out: http://www.mercola.com. It has given me a lot of information & seems to make a lot of sense, as well as all the advice I've tried so far has worked!!!

As for pregnancy, fish oils are warned against as they can contain mercury and other contaminants from polluted waters, but krill oil has no contaminants, and some fish and cod liver oils say they have almost completely removed the contaminants (such as Healthspan). I would avoid fish itself, though, unless it's from a source that says it's unpolluted. DHAs are soooo important for the brain development of the unborn baby and also the brain's development during breastfeeding as well. I want to get good fish oil supplements for my 3 young children, as its supposed to help dramatically with studies and concentration, and calm kids down better (and healthier, I might add) than Ritalin.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! What a blessing children are!
Mary

gary t

Posted Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 10:05pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
The following, not all at once, have been adopted by myself over the last few years.....

but now through sheer desperation I'm trying all at once after throwing all my meds and "self-medication" methods over the cliff the other week.

Transcendental Meditation
Reiki
Change of Diet with fish oils and 5-HTP
wheat grass & green juice
Isolation
Spiritual Reading matter
Thai Chi
Homeopathic alternatives

As with all of the above you have to practice them on a daily basis.
All of them have made huge differences to my manic depression at one time or another..........
But when you start making leaps and bounds of progress you start to slip
back into old habits and onto the roller coaster of depression.
I have just had the most wonderful manic year and summer but have now fallen back to earth with a huge thud. My fault for not continuing to practice what I've learnt to be effective for me personally.
One of the biggest killers of men between 18-35 in the West is suicide.
I have been on medication of one type or another for the last 15 years.
Sometimes they work for a while sometimes not.
Don't confuse the medicle science with a moral obligation to cure disease. IMHO they just treat the symptons, which of course remain on going and thus creating an on going industry.

The answer lies in the fundlementals of life..........

self awareness and the love of yourself
Diet
spirituality
Eastern practices
A balanced steady life style not rapped up in materialism
Back to Basics

Everything the Western Society seems dis-regard.
And everybody wonders why we're all so fucked up !

Love 'n peace to all

Gary - MoonFlea :'(

foreveryoung

Posted Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 12:52am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Gary and Mary,, Excellent posts you guys, Its really nice to read this sort of stuff, as The GP's really dont have a clue, I have just educated mine on enzyme defficiencies. I have started to teach my kids about food science as I was not aware untill recently all the implications of toxins and medications that are passed on through your milk etc, that you took when you were a kid, or your parents took before they had us, and the drug and chemical interactions. I am still in shock that its been going on for years, the Food and enviromental health know wall this information but is still allowing it. People have been campaigning for 30 years or more. Now we have the results of this chemical society, millions of people with poor immune systems, neurological problems, diabetes, But as we all know the drug companies are maiing loads of money to cover up the problems and paying psychiatrists to say we need their chemically addicitive drugs, and saying we need to rely on these types of drugs or we will never FEEL better. I tried to kill my self on one of them, I've not had that from taking suppliments, I feel more alive now than ever.

MaryD

Posted Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 10:49am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I agree, foreveryoung, there are so many chemicals and toxins that we are bombarded with everyday. Learning about these things and the natural alternatives has opened up a whole new world to me. In the last year, I have abandoned chemical-laden conventional shampoos, conditioners, etc. with lovely natural ones, from companies such as Pure Nuff Stuff and Green People, and from ordinary household cleaners to products from Ecover. My hair and skin have benefitted greatly! Also, my skin improved eons with the change in diet - plus I lost a lot of weight!! Diet is soooo fundamental. You really are what you eat.

For those who are interested in a good natural health site, check out http://www.mercola.com. It deals with a lot of health issues. Just put "depression" or "manic-depressive" in the search box at the top and you can get access to lots of articles about natural approaches which work far better than drugs - because they get down to the root of the problem! So much of their advice makes a lot of sense and is backed by lots of research and experience!

I know, rather than feeling drugged, I feel so alive! The word that often comes to my mind is - vitality.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I have tried homeopathy and herbs as well in the past, with varying degrees of success. I think the problem with some uses of herbs is they are just treated like natural drugs - just treating the symptoms (which is how a prominent herbalist doctor used them with me at one time). Again, it's so important to get down to the underlying issue, which, in my case, was PCOS and insulin resistance. That's why the symptoms are there - to warn us something is wrong, not to be diseases in themselves!

I am a committed Christian and in some of my darkest times clung desperately to God and His word... this kept me from completely giving up. I have not wanted to try eastern practices, but I can say that prayer is powerful and God is in control of my life. As terrible as my depression was, blessings have come from it.

Best wishes to all!

panda

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 11:31am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hello everyone
i've only just discovered this site and just wanted to say that i whole heartedly agree with the nutrition and alternative therapy approach with managing depression and manic depression. i have found nutritional supplements of enormous benefit - the one main thing that have keep me on the straight and narrow!!! i take vit c, multivit, zinc, omega 3, 6, 9, b complex during the day and then calcium, magnesium, Chill (Higher Nature), Valerian in the evening.
I've also found essential oils really helpful - particularly Vetiver for when I'm feeling manic, that brings me right down to earth! I haven't been organised enough to try them when i've felt depressed, but hope i will remember next time i feel down.
have found homeopathic medicine quite helpful too - but interesting to hear about the idea that they treat the symptoms too. (or are sometimes used this way)
has anyone read Patrick Holford's Optimum Nutrition for the Mind - I found that really helpful.
I also like the Bach flower remedies. It's just remembering to take all these things.
I haven't managed to get a lot of exercise into my life yet - though am trying to go for a walk round the park each day at lunch!
Best wishes to everyone
Panda

panda

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 12:30pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
p.s. just wanted to add that i have also been switching over to as much as possible that is non-toxic in the way of toiletries and cleaning products. Ecover is great. And for toiletries Jason is the cheapest one i've found, though i also like lots of other brands to be found in Fresh n Wild. Like Green People and other makes for everything: shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodrant (v. important to have a natural non toxic one), face wash. Am still trying to tackle the makeup problem. Most of the natural ones seem to be quite expensive. Am using Lavera at the moment, which seems to be the cheapest (but i was using Rimmel before so was used to really cheap!!). But as my skin is improving i seem to need less makeup anyway! would be interested to hear what other people have found...

foreveryoung

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 2:12pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
awww.awares.org

If any of you are interested in finding out about why we are the way we are, i SUGGEST you join in with a conference that is going on until friday. It is free to participate, There are doctors, Psychologists, all sorts of different proffessionals on there to ask questions. It is proving to extremely helpful as they discuss the root causes, http://www.awares.org

Good post panda, I am trying to find out as much as possible about how nutrition and cell to cell communication makes us tick.

MaryD

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 4:52pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Panda,

I also have switched to as natural toiletries & cleaning products as possible. Some other good brands are: Avalon Organics, Pure Nuff Stuff ( http://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk/ - they are one of the cheapest but completely natural companies that I have found & do cosmetics too), & Aubrey Organics. I don't use cosmetics anymore either - I find my skin has improved so much with eating better (no sugar, omega-3s in Krill Oil, etc.), and with using natural products, that I don't feel the need to cover it up!! Also, the thought of putting layers on my skin, even with natural products, doesn't appeal to me anymore! The only thing I occasionally use is natural lip color - but even that looks strange to me now! I often get comments on how good my skin looks!! I love natural all the way - love the natural fragrances, the clean feel, the natural look!!

MaryD

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 5:32pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Foreveryoung,

Speaking of finding out what makes us tick, have you read William Wolcott's book "The Metabolic Typing Diet"? I have just gotten a copy & am finding it VERY interesting though I'm not sure what I think about it yet. But it's all about finding the basic differences in bio-chemistry between different people and how to tailor diets for the different types. They ask, why do some diets work well for some but not others? Why do some foods/supplements make some people feel good but others react badly to? I.e., one man's food is another man's poison! We'll see...

Do you recommend any books from your research?