Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

foreveryoung

Posted Tue Oct 10th, 2006 9:58pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
The most recent ones I have read are:

Food Science, Nutrition and Health fifth edition, by Brian A Fox, Allan G Cameron.

Clear Body Clear Mind By L. R. Hubbard.

I am dipping into (as its a bit hard reaading) Morrison and Boyd Organic Chemistry.

I tend to look on the medical sites a lot especialy Center for Disease control in Japan, I tend to stay off the Government sites as they are misleading.

I look up ingredients in to pharma drugs.

I also follow forensic science as these are so far advanced in thier research for answers to catch criminals, Its a shame the same amount of effort is not put into helping us get healthier,

However we are in a conspiracy to cover up the chemical mess in our systems.

Oh almost forgot the most important book My Bible as in there it lists ingredients, I take flax seed oil, This was where my search started,

MaryD

Posted Wed Oct 11th, 2006 11:04am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Could you summarize the key principles in "Food Science, Nutrition & Health"? So far a lot of what I'm reading in "The Metabolic Typing Diet" makes sense, but I'm left with a lot of questions (hopefully Wolcott will answer them later in the book). Basically, he disgards the symptom & disease-oriented approach of modern conventional & alternative medicine, for an approach which targets your body's unique bio-chemistry and thus heals the body from the cellular level up. He says it produces dramatic results over time with chronic diseases, including cancer. Hmmm...

I have thought many times about what the Bible says on nutrition. The Bible of course mentions eating bread, meat, honey... of course, they didn't have refined foods in biblical times as far as I know... what have you noticed in the Bible?

panda

Posted Wed Oct 11th, 2006 5:21pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
just wanted to say thanks for the purenuffstuff tip - they look really good. i've asked my local fresh and wild if they would consider stocking them. (they look to be about the same price as lavera but have more different colours for face powder etc. - lavera only have 2 options).
would be nice if somewhere like boots starting stocking it though - maybe that's being too hopeful!!

MaryD

Posted Thu Oct 12th, 2006 12:03pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I know, I wish mainstream places like Boots and Tesco would stock more natural products. I recently filled out a survey for Tesco on children's health and one question was, was there anything they could do to help and I said yes, please stock more natural toiletries products!! I can get some things at a health food store but most thing I have to get online. Which isn't too bad as I am pretty used to internet shopping now!!

I love Pure Nuff Stuff's body oil... I use it in my hair (which is thick & curly) too. I wash my hair with their moisterizing shampoo, which has a gentle apple cider vinegar in it as the cleansing agent (no harsh sulfates!!), and then I put a litte bit of Aubrey Organics natural gel in my wet hair, then use a pick to comb it, then put a little bit of body oil in. Actually I should try not even using the gel, as the oil might be enough to define the curls. On a non-washing day, I just spray my hair with water and put in a little bit of oil and scruch the curls, and this works great. My hair is softer, shinier, more manageable, and less frizzy than it was with all those expensive, chemical-laden Frizz-Ease products I used to get, and my curls are very defined!!

A useful site for many other natural products (such as Aubrey Organics) is http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/ .Pure Nuff Stuff is probably the cheapest range they sell, but they don't sell all of their stuff, so that's why I found their site.

Happy looking!!

panda

Posted Thu Oct 12th, 2006 1:11pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
great thanks i will have a look through...
the only makeup product i really think i need and will always need, unfortunately, is blusher. ever since i was little people have always commented on how pale i am, and thought that i was ill. my mum had to put blusher on me even as a child to stop people thinking i was ill!
i've always wondered whether there was anything i could do to improve my health so that i had a bit of colour in my cheeks, but perhaps it is just my natural colouring.
the other thing is face powder and concealer, as i have quite oily skin. i sometimes wonder if with the right skin care i wouldn't need this either - but i think stress and pollution probably get the better of me sometimes.
also, i look a lot better with mascara, unfortunately. i went on strike for the last few weeks, and i think i probably looked awful (because i am so pale). when i did wear it one day, people commented that i looked better. damn! but the only mascara i can use is by shishedo (it only comes off with 35 degree hot water - all other mascaras run on me), so think i won't be able to find a natural alternative to that.
that's it. i'm not really a bimbo who thinks about makeup all the time, honest! just trying to figure out which products i can dispense with!
have stopped highlighting my hair too - it looks much better, i don't get roots, and my hair isn't as dark as i thought, it does get sun lightened!
plus i save loads of money!!!!!
any ideas for any of the above, much appreciated...

MaryD

Posted Thu Oct 12th, 2006 3:41pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi, Panda,

I used to be really pale too. People thought I was low in iron all the time when I really tend to be quite high in iron!! I used to wear concealer, foundation, blusher, and lipstick. (I never liked fiddling with mascara, I have to say, and as I tear easily it was always running!!)

For some reason lately my cheeks have been naturally pink, sort of a very healthy, outdoorsy look, and my skin has become very clear and vibrant-looking. I can say the change started happening when I switched to a lower-carb higher-protein diet (although such a diet may not be for everyone, according to the "Metabolic Typing Diet" right now which I'm reading - it's VERY interesting) because of my depression/blood sugar problems. Then I noticed that my skin improved even more with natural skincare. Now I don't want to put anything on, because I don't want to hide it!! (Not to sound too proud - I just don't see the need anymore, which is great and of course saves that money too!!)

What type of hair do you have? I'm sure it loves natural hair care too. Sulfates are so hard on ANY type of hair!

Oily skin... hm... again, with more and more improvement in diet that might change as well. My acne (associated with my PCOS) has gone since I used a supplement called Anduvite (Jan de Vries uses it with his patients).

By the way, a healthy diet doesn't always mean very little meat or saturated fat. For some people it does; others NEED a decent amount of meat and different types of fats. I definitely do need higher protein & fat, but then I have insulin resistance. (I do NOT eat polyunsaturated fats, like sunflower oil and margarine, though; they go rancid too quickly in your body and are way too high in Omega-6!) Go with what makes you feel full and satisfied for at least an hour or two, and of course eat fresh or lightly steamed vegetables. And try to cut down on the sugar & processed foods as much as possible - they really cause havoc with your skin as well as the rest of your body!! Think natural with food as well...

Hope all goes well & that skin just glows soon!!!

panda

Posted Thu Oct 12th, 2006 6:18pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
thanks for all your helpful ideas!
i did try a low carb, v high protein diet years ago and it had a brilliant effect on me (along with supplements and hypnotherapy - a friends mum was training to be a nutritionalist - i was her guinea pig). i felt very calm and energised, and had no pmt or stress or depression (and this was during my alevels!)
but - i think because she was a student - it wasn't that easy to do the diet - i was eating chicken for breakfast and tinned bean and tuna salad (day in day out). i now would not eat such a restricted, samey diet. i do try - i have a boiled egg and oatcakes for breakfast, sushi for lunch, and some kind of protein and veg in the evening. maybe i need to read more about it for some ideas.
i have been cutting down dairy products slowly. (i have found, over the years, that every time i try to cut things out dramatically i end up giving up - for various reasons - i am better when i phase things out gradually and introduce alternatives in their place, gradually, its just knowing what the alternatives are!!)
i do remember when i was on my no wheat, high protein diet, my stomach rumbled a lot, so i do have a problem cutting out carbs too much (i try to avoid wheat as much as possible - i have porridge and oatcakes and rice). what do you do?
my boyfriend has really worked to get me to eat more veg and salad (i don't really like them - was never forced to eat them as a child so got away with it! now i don't think that's a good thing!! - am trying my best to change now)
am v interested to hear you are insulin resistant. i have real problems with low blood sugar (and depression) - are they related? grandfathers on both sides of my family had diabetes so i always wondered if there was a connection.
Also - am interested in the omega oils. i had thought that all 3 were good (3, 6, and 9) and that it was important to have them from good quality sources (i.e. not margarine). The tub of capscules i'm taking at the mo (not my usual brand) are 3, 6, 9 - as well as flax and pumpkin, there is sunflower and olive oil. probably not the most beneficial combo, i will look for more of 3 next time.
In answer to the hair question - my hair is very fine, with a tendency to go flat/static, and lack body. its not looking too bad at the mo (though could do with a cut!). Dyeing it did (weirdly) add body, but i don't think that's the way. I now use totally natural products on it.
Am interested to hear about Anduvite from Jan de Vries- i haven't heard of that before - I will look into it! the one thing that seems to sort my skin out is drinking bucket loads of water. but i never seem to be able to do it all the time. and doing natural home facials.
sorry for the long post - lots to say!!
panda

MaryD

Posted Thu Oct 12th, 2006 8:55pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi, Panda,

When you did that diet before, you were really paying good attention to your body's signals!! You probably need a good amount of protein, but definitely some carbs in there too. I am the same. I need lots of protein & fat but some veg & a little bread too.

Here's a sample of what I eat, but you could be more adventurous than me because there's loads of different meats, veggies, and healthy carbs to try... I want to try more myself too. Okay, breakfast: 2 eggs (you could add sausages or bacon or more eggs depending on how hungry you are) and a quarter slice of my homemade (in breadmaker) Organic Spelt (from Tesco) bread with cream cheese on it (makes it last longer in me than with butter). Lunch: raw organic spinach salad with homecooked roast meat pieces and grated cheddar cheese and another quarter slice of Spelt bread. Dinner: a roast meat, vegetable and a tiny bit of potatoes (the rest of my family eats more potatoes). Then for "pudding,"Yeo Valley Organic plain bio yogurt (NOT fat-free!) with a little drizzle of pure maple syrup! And for snacks... um... natural (no sugar) Whole Earth organic peanut butter. I need to think of more ideas for my snacks.

There's lots more to say, but I need to go now & finish getting the house ready for guests! Bye for now!!

MaryD

Posted Fri Oct 13th, 2006 4:31pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Panda,

Some more thoughts. Are you allergic to dairy? You mightn't necessarily need to cut it completely out, unless it makes you feel bad to eat it. Although raw dairy is far better for you. I have a friend whose husband has dairy cattle and hope to get some from her. The pasterization changes the sugar into a worse form, which can increase insulin resistance, and also it destroys a lot of the enzymes and makes the calcium less absorbable and does a lot of other bad things I can't remember right now!! People who are allergic to dairy often aren't with raw dairy. Raw milk is pretty safe nowadays with the clean methods that are used now.

Anyways... got to go again but more later!!

panda

Posted Fri Oct 13th, 2006 4:46pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
thanks for the meal tips. i tend to eat oatcakes and nuts and dried fruit, and yoghurts for snacks.
i don't avoid dairy completely - i try to have soya milk when i can (because i've read milk is mucus making and if you have spots its better to avoid it, and from the diet i did before when i cut it out it seems to help). how do you have raw milk? is that the same as organic milk?
panda

MaryD

Posted Fri Oct 13th, 2006 5:49pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
No, raw milk is unpasterized milk (pasterization boils the milk for 15 seconds to destroy bad bacteria which in the past caused a lot of sicknesses... the thing is that nowadays the sterile milking usually keeps the milk free of such things so there really isn't a need to routinely pasterize anymore, and yet for some reason all the milk you buy in store is still required to be pasterized!). Organic milk is better than nonorganic but not NEARLY as good as raw milk.

I wonder about raw milk & mucus. I'll have to find out if I can.

Soy is generally not a good thing... except fermented soy.

I have cut down on milk too. I do need my butter and cheese and yogurt though!!

Bye for now,
Mary

ruthy

Posted Fri Oct 13th, 2006 7:42pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
No, raw milk is unpasterized milk (pasterization boils the milk for 15 seconds to destroy bad bacteria which in the past caused a lot of sicknesses... the thing is that nowadays the sterile milking usually keeps the milk free of such things so there really isn't a need to routinely pasterize anymore, and yet for some reason all the milk you buy in store is still required to be pasterized!).

Sorry to butt in but I just thought I'd better clarify, pasturisation was initially introduced to delay natural spoilage, so all commercial retailers have to insist on pasturisation for food safety reasons, to prevent the sale of sour milk that could make people ill.

Also, the sterile methods of milking will only eradicate exterior contamination of the milk, it will not protect from any micro-organisms that are already present in the cow being milked. Admittedly a lot of these micro-organisms are not killed by pasturisation either but some common and very dangerous ones are. Do, please, be careful.

Love Ruthy

MaryD

Posted Sat Oct 14th, 2006 10:11am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Thanks, Ruthy. I know there is always a slight risk, but from my research it is just that - very slight. Cows are routinely checked for all sorts of conditions that could effect the milk, and "Grass-fed milk has natural antibiotic properties that help protect it...from pathogenic bacteria." ( http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/Raw_Milk_FAQ.html, which is a good site for answering lots of questions about raw milk) Note that grain-fed cows do not have the same level of antibiotic properies. It's all really fascinating to learn about!!

Raw milk does spoil faster, but lasts usually about 3 days, and you can freeze extra amounts. When it spoils, though, it can still be very good for you for a little while longer - just won't taste quite so nice!!

peteredworthy

Posted Sat Oct 14th, 2006 4:08pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi all,
My first post and so I must, as apears to be custom, anounce my Love and devotion to Stephen Fry and his works.
And now the actual post

Diet is so important as it is the base set of chemicals for our bodies; if these contain omissions or chemicals we find toxic then we unlikely to feel well, physically or mentally.

Sometimes the symptoms of a mental illness may be from a problem with the diet rather than any genetic predisposition. It is more common though that changes in diet complement conventional treatment. Prescription drugs need a working body to operate in; some of them even need a larger supply of some vitamins and minerals to do their work.

With diet quantity is crucial, too little vitamin A causes anemia and several other unpleasant problems, too much could cause osteoporosis, more than that causes death. Nearly all vitamins, and minerals have similar profiles of too little causing illness and too much causing illness. Care is therefore required when experimenting with diet.

You can experiment and modify your own diet, but it may be worth talking to a dietitian. In the UK both dietitians and nutritionists must have studied the science of diet to at least bachelors level. They are even available on the NHS, although it may take some time to see one.

Summary
    Diet should be considered as part of the treatment of mental illness, and many other physical ones.
    Diet alone can cure some problems.
    Diet alone can’t cure everything.
    Just because it’s ‘natural’ doesn’t mean it can’t harm you.
    No I’m not a nutritionist nor am I trying to sell you one.

MaryD

Posted Mon Oct 16th, 2006 9:54am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Good post. Good summary. Exactly - good health starts at the basic, cellular level, which is why good diet is so important, as it gives cells the right nutrients and energy.