Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

panda

Posted Thu Oct 26th, 2006 1:16pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
thanks so much for all the tips. i might see if i can find that book to read, it sounds good!
since reading your post i have been making more of a conscious effort to make sure lights are either on in the morning for waking up or off and dimmed in the evening. i do sometimes sleep with a sleep mask on, though i have trouble keeping it on and only tend to wear it if my boyfriend wants to read in bed when i am going to sleep (v occasionally). i do think a big problem is that we have very different sleeping and waking hours. He is a dj so needs his body clock to be set to a later time. Having good blinds is a good idea, except then it would be pitch dark in the morning, and it wouldn't be fair to open them as my bf would still be sleeping. its quite good at the moment cos the room just naturally gets lighter. although i know for sleep it would be better for me if it were pitch black. I have suggested separate bedrooms (because he snores as well - v v v annoying!!!! especially for someone who has trouble sleeping) but he was v upset at the suggestion. i might think about it again. i really wish there was not a stigma or whatever about having separate bedrooms. one thing that is annoying also is that because my bf is a dj he practices playing loud, dancey music in the evening which i find extremely annoying, particularly if i'm trying to wind down. i could easily just start dancing and bopping round the house, but that way mania lies! particularly if i'm having trouble sleeping. he does try though.
i do really try to go to bed early. and i know it is better to go to sleep at the same time every day. but what does that mean that if i stay up late occasionally on a weekend? i had a dilemma about that the other day, there was a party and i'd been feeling a bit lonely and cut off from people, so decided to go even though i knew it would go on late. it did - til 5 am, and because i was staying at a friends house there was not a lot i could do. apart from get a cab which would have been really expensive. hmm
i don't have any caffeine at all, though i will try to avoid sugar in the evenings too. finding it v difficult though!
like the sound of the sun alarm clock. i will investigate!!!
many thanks for all your tips!
panda x

MaryD

Posted Thu Oct 26th, 2006 10:20pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
It is a REALLY good book so far - and I haven't even read it all yet! It has a great section on exercising which I haven't even delved into yet & can't wait to. Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Eat-Move-Be-Healthy/dp.....mp;s=books
although it was back-ordered for a while and took a month to arrive. But worth the wait!

A sleep mask used to help me in the past, and it's actually a good thing if it falls off eventually as then you could be woken up by the sun alarm in the morning! But blinds would be a better solution if you could do it.

The sun alarms cost anywhere from £15 to £100! Here's a £15 one http://www.paramountzone.com/alarmclock-pz.htm (it introduces light for 5 minutes before the alarm sounds). Here's a £60 one: http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat106/cat1.....sellers=5I'll
It has a 30-minute sunrise & also an optional 30-minute sunset & the beeper is optional. Here's a few different ones, some including free "snore free"s! http://www.bodykind.com/productindex/CatIDx67/productindex.htm Hmm... interesting. My husband snores too. I might just consider that!! (Thankfully he doesn't snore on his side... so I just have to prod him over. Sometimes I wear earplugs but I don' t like to. Then you don't hear kids or alarms.)

I wouldn't like to sleep in a separate bedroom, I'd feel lonely, but I know how difficult it is with snoring!!

Maybe if he's up late he could be in another room while you got to sleep, and not play his music so loud...? I can just imagine how hard it must be to feel relaxed and sleepy with loud music blaring!!

As for occasional late nights... hm. That's a difficult one. I find they do disrupt me for a few days after, and that's only being up to midnight, not 5:00 a.m.! But you don't want to feel lonely either... I guess try to minimize them as much as you can. That way your body won't get too used to them. It will be used to mainly going to bed earlier (I hope!).

Here's to a good night's sleep!

panda

Posted Mon Oct 30th, 2006 4:21pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi Mary
I will definitely consider getting blinds, and maybe a sunshine alarm (though difficult as it will wake up my boyfriend before he is ready in the morning - though he might find it helpful for him! he finds it harder to get out of bed in the morning than me. my problem is getting to sleep and staying asleep! i find it a bit too easy to be awake! which can be a problem if i don't watch it - as i could go manic)
we are thinking of moving house in the near-ish future, so i will think about blinds, etc. for if we have a new room.

I do try prodding my boyfriend when he snores, but by then the damage has been done as i'm awake - and there's nothing to stop him snoring again once i go back to sleep. grrr!! i am trying to help him stop smoking, and other things that i think might help with the snoring (i got him a hypnotherapy session to help him stop smoking, so here's hoping!). i do find it affects me most when i'm having a bad/light nights sleep anyway. so will continue to research ways to make me sleep deeply.

he would never play music if i was actually trying to go to sleep. but the point is, i really need a calm quiet sleep inducing environment for pretty much the whole evening to help me wind down ready to go to bed. which i guess is asking for a lot, particularly since his working day starts and ends later than mine. we really need a bigger house! the thing is, next time we move i think we will have to move to a smaller place - which i don't think will help! oh well, we will see.

hope you are well.
panda

panda

Posted Mon Oct 30th, 2006 4:35pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
p.s. on the subject of occasional late nights, i had another late night on saturday - though only 3 am this time, not 5 am. a friends 30th - would have been a shame to miss it.
however, on sunday, instead of leaping into action and doing lots of sunday as i would have liked to, and usually do, having woke up quite early, i forced myself to do nothing and relax and nap, snooze through out the day. i think this is the best strategy for me in these instances, though i really have to fight an urge to be productive, because it levels me out and stops me going manic and getting into a bad sleeping pattern. i think its probably what most normal people would feel like doing after a late night - whereas i am full of energy and raring to go, and then find i can't switch off!
anyway, feel a slight triumph in discovering that. i have to not feel guilty for "wasting a day", and see it instead as an investment for my sleep and moods!

MaryD

Posted Mon Oct 30th, 2006 4:46pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I think fundamental to getting a good night's sleep is revamping your health from the ground up. I sleep so well now that his snores never actually wake me up; they only prevent me from getting to sleep. If I prod him over, I'm usually asleep before he starts rolling back over and snoring again!! My ability to get to sleep and stay asleep improved drastically when I changed my diet. Over a few months I got better and better until I was sleeping normally and didn't need the sedative anymore (just gradually cut down on it)!! Really try to change your diet, including not too much bread and other carbs, just the amount that makes you feel the most energy and best emotions, and see what happens!!

You might really consider getting the Paul Chek "How to Eat, Move and be Healthy" book. I think, more than any book I've read to date, it gets down to the basics of problems and how to get yourself healthy in all areas. Your boyfriend might just be curious, take a look and start getting even healthier himself, which just may help his snoring... here are some interesting quotes from an article on the Mercola website in that regard:

"Snoring should always be considered a problem since snoring indicates the presence of increased upper airway resistance during sleep."

In a study on kids snoring, "Just over 50% of loud snorers lived in a house where an adult smoked." Maybe if he gave up smoking this would help...??

Just some thoughts!! Hope things improve soon!

MaryD

Posted Mon Oct 30th, 2006 5:01pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Just saw your P.S.!! Wow, so did that work for you? Were you able to get to sleep okay that night? If so, sounds like a good tactic. Your body would have kept producing cortisol (awakening) hormones during the late hours at the party, so maybe giving the melatonin a chance to kick in during the next day helped things even out. I think that as you get healthier, you wouldn't need to sleep as long the next day, and that your body would bounce back from occasional late nights more quickly. The healthier I get, the less a late night disrupts me. But for now, do whatever works, and keep on getting healthier!

I think it's all fundamentally down to our hormonal balance, which is down to how stable our insulin is and how healthy we are overall. So much, I'm learning, is down to the basic level... chronic diseases come when we miss the body's earlier, nagging signs that something is going wrong (like erratic periods, aches and pains, blood sugar problems, etc.); most doctos just damp down the symptoms, but this isn't treating the underlying problem that our bodies are laboring under.

Paul Chek's book has quizzes as the start to evaluate different areas of health and also to determine your metabolic type. They're fun as well as very interesting!! I'm a protein type - at the moment anyway! It can change as your body gets back to normal!

Best wishes, Panda, and thanks, I am pretty well at the moment!

panda

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:58am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
thanks for the thoughts - i will see if i can find a copy of that book. am absolutely shattered at the moment, not really sure why. slept for 9 hours last night, but still could do with more!!
panda

MaryD

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 3:34pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi, Panda, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so tired; some days I feel shattered too for no particular reason. I suspect with me its hormonal. Other days I feel a fine amount of energy. I keep a record of how I feel each day, both physically and mentally, just simple notations and symbols on an ordinary calendar, and I want to start writing down which days I feel more tired, too, because it may be down to certain times in the cycle. Any stress in hormones adjusting could wear the body out - we can't see what's happening under our skin!!

Hope you feel better soon and I'm sure that book would help you on the way!!

panda

Posted Thu Nov 9th, 2006 6:34pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
i've been away for a while - knocked out with a cold! i had never thought of tiredness relating to hormones, but interesting to hear. it always gives me hope when i hear more ideas of how/why things work, more things to improve and make better!
i still need to check all the links you've given me - wish i had a computer at home!
its funny, because in the time running up to my major manic episode, although i was depressed and had very bad insominia, i was very rarely ill (with colds, flu, etc.) I see this partly as me forcing myself to work and so the strain came out as mental ill-health. whereas for a lot of people it comes out as physical bad health - colds etc. if exhausted, rundown and need to recouperate. because i was self-employed i never allowed myself to become physically ill and so relax and recharge, but mentally i went down-hill, but kept on pushing myself until i cracked!! so now, although i don't like getting a cold (and hope to be physically healthier in the future so i'm better at combating them) i would rather give in to a cold now, when makes me have some time to relax (though not very fun) than have a mentally bad time. if that makes any sense????

MaryD

Posted Thu Nov 9th, 2006 9:21pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Sorry to hear you've been sick! Yes, you made plenty of sense!

Here are some tips for reducing the intensity and duration of colds (many of which have helped my husband and me):

Rest as much as possible.

Suck zinc lozenges from a health food store (one-quarter of a lozenge every 30 minutes) - these help with symptoms, esp. sore throats. I can't use them as they often have sweeteners in them, but they worked really well for my husband.

Drink lots of filtered or spring water (not tap water).

Avoid alcohol, coffee and sugar - sugar quickly reduces immune function.

Drink echinacea tea or take echinacea drops. There is an echinacea tea from Yogi teas (also has astragalus & elder berry for immune support & peppermint, cinnamon & other things for delicious flavor) which always makes my colds a lot less severe, and it tastes INCREDIBLE! Here's a link if you want to order some- scroll to the bottom of the page (only £1.86 for 15 bags!): http://www.teaworld.co.uk/teasDetail.php?product=0.....=10?end=19 I drink 2 or 3 cups a day when I have a cold. It's one good thing about having a cold!

Yes, good night sleeps, limited stress, and eating healthily all help you to avoid colds! I think I will need to get stronger before avoiding more colds too, but it's just a process and takes time! For now, I don't mind colds that much because a cold is so much better than depression!!!

Hope you feel better soon!

panda

Posted Fri Nov 10th, 2006 5:22pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
thanks Mary! Good advice as always! I will look out for the tea - i am a big fan of yogi tea anyway (I think they are the people who do all the lovely different types of chai tea as well). glad to hear it tastes nice - i had a tincture of echancea (shocking spelling - sorry!) but think i conveniently misplaced it as i couldn't really be bothered to take it, but nice tea i can definitely drink!
I also like olbas oil...
hope all is good with you
panda
p.s. this cold is weird, i can feel it literally working its way up from my chest, throat, nose and now its in my head. so hopefully it is on its way out!

MaryD

Posted Sat Nov 11th, 2006 1:14pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Yes, it's funny, my colds usually start in the throat, then nose, then stuffed-up head, then end with some coughing. But being in the head is usually the sign for me that it's near the end, so hopefully yours is almost over!

Yes, some herbal teas can taste a bit insipid but this one is full of terrific taste! I should try some others from the Yogi tea line sometime!

I've tried echinacea tinctures before and they definitely helped but this tea works even better for me. My colds are much milder and only last half as long! You do have to start the tea at the start of the cold to get the best results.

A note on filtered water: Yesterday I bought a Tesco water filter jug (the large one) for £9.97. It definitely improved the taste of our tap water, which before had tasted too much of chlorine. Chlorine not only tastes nasty, it kills the good bacteria in your gut so filtering it out can really improve digestion (so they say... I'll see if it works...). Next month we want to try a Brita Classic filter which can fit in the Tesco jug, to see if it improves the water taste even more!

Does Olbas oil help with the cold?

I had a cold this week but hardly any symptoms other than a VERY mild sore throat and tiredness. I just rested a lot, drank my Yogi tea, and in about three days was just about better... Hurrah!

Hope you're all the way better soon!!

Take care & have a great day,
Mary

panda

Posted Wed Dec 6th, 2006 1:26pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
hi mary
i forgot my password to the site, so couldn't get in! but just wanted to say, i bought the yogi echinacea tea and i love it! it tastes almost chocolatey!
hope you're well
panda

MaryD

Posted Sat Dec 9th, 2006 4:11pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Panda,

Good to hear from you! Glad you're enjoying the tea. I take it every time I feel like a cold is coming and often it doesn't develop at all! (Although sore throats and achy muscles can be due to other things, of course, sometimes due to hormonal changes I think.)

I've been really good, thanks. My cycle has been normal for two months in a row for the first time in about 6 years (the krill oil seems to have been a big help with that too), and my emotional health continues to improve. Hurrah!!

Hope you're well & have a great day!

Mary

panda

Posted Mon Dec 18th, 2006 5:37pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi Mary
Glad you doing well. I am too! Feel better and more stable than i have in years, so thankful!!!!
I've been on the mdf forum and someone mentioned Vegepa and Prof Puri. Have you heard of them? Apparently it is a type of Omega 3 which Prof Puri sells. I haven't come across it myself, but they were a bit sceptical about him, and i wonderered if you knew anything.

Sorry, if i asked already, but is Krill oil the same as Omega 3? i remember you mentioning it before, but i can't quite remember what it was...

Panda