Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MaryD

Posted Tue Dec 19th, 2006 1:03pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I'm really pleased that you're doing so much better. Your body's getting what it needs!

Omega 3 is IN Krill Oil. There are different forms of Omega 3. The ones that are most important for your brain are DHA and EPA. These are found in fish oil, Cod Liver Oil and krill oil - but NOT in non-meat sources of Omega-3 like Flaxseed Oil and walnuts. Non-meat sources have ALA. ALA is not as biologically potent, but can be converted by the body into the other forms IF your body is healthy. Insulin-resistance, for instance, prevents your body from converting ALA very well. Krill oil is even more biologically available than fish oil - in other words, your body absorbs it better so you need less of it to have an effect. You also get lots of potent antioxidants from krill oil that you don't get from fish oil. Cod Liver Oil, of course, has the benefits of Vitamins D & A, which are great during colder months and are additional boosts to the immune system. (Fish & Krill in themselves are great for the immune system & the heart as well as your brain!!)

Hope this helps! Have a great day & great holidays! I'm really looking forward to my husband being off for a week!!

Mary

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 10:37am Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
I think that we all need to go back to the drawing board in a multitued of ways. Especially when it comes to physical and emotionl health. God/nature has given us the tools - we've just got to believe in them.Lavender, Omega 3 and relaxation are some of the PREVENTATIVE and CALMING qualities our sometimes poor and struggling, suffering bodies that we are, NEED.

MaryD

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 12:55pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Harry,

Yes, you're so right! We all need to get down to basics and think, what do our bodies need to run properly?

One of the basics is food. Food is the fuel for our bodies, but our bodies need the right kind of fuel to function well. We are all different biologically, so need differing amounts of good fats, proteins, and carbohydrates - but what is true for everyone is that sugar & processed foods are harmful to our bodies, in many different ways. We wouldn't expect our car to run well on the wrong fuel - but what about ourselves? Is it any wonder our bodies break down if they are getting to much of the wrong fuel and not enough of good, healthy fuel?

Another basic is sleep. If we routinely don't get enough sleep (7-8 hours), or consistently stay up late (past 10:30), we miss out on key mind & body repair hours, and disrupt our biological clock, which in turn disrupts our bodies in many ways.

Another basic is exercise, but it needs to be the right amount for our current physical state, otherwise it will be too much stress on our bodies. The level can be upped as our health improves. A very interesting book on healthy exercise is Paul Chek's How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy.

Then, as you said, there are so many good, helpful things in nature that we can use to heal our bodies, that don't have terrible side-effects, that help us feel calm and alive and clear-thinking rather than half-drugged.

Check out http://www.mercola.com - he has lots of helpful insights into helping different conditions naturally, good food, Omega-3, sleep, exercise, etc.

Everyone, go for it - be healthy, from the inside out!!

panda

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 2:14pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
Hi Harry
I agree with what you are saying (and Mary, of course!). Personally I don't think its even a matter of believing in these things, because they do actually work anyway. You just have to actually do them! As long as the quality of the essential oils, supplements, food, etc. is good enough, and is the right thing you need, they will work.
I love lavender oil, and have found lots of essential oils to be really helpful. Have you ever tried Vetiver? I was recommended this for mania, by a woman who suffers from manic depression herself and is a naturopath practitioner. I've found it really brings me down to earth, extremely grounding. It is a very earthy smell, like roots, quite musky, like the countryside or a log fire. You might not like it at first, but i've found it really good in "bringing me down". I now need to find one that's good for depression. (There are lots that are recommended, but i just have to find one that's effective for me.)
Anyway, glad to hear there is another person who is in favour of using natural resources to heal themselves. I really think its the best way! (I can see the necessity of pharmaceuticals in some extreme situations, but in my experience they never cure anything, they just - at best - "contain" it, which is necessary sometimes. But the natural way - as long they they are from good reputable sources - actually goes some way to curing, or rebalancing, strengthening.)
Look forward to more posts on this!
Panda

MaryD

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 3:54pm Post subject: Different 'Alternative Therapies'
HEAR, HEAR!

P.S. I think "belief" does come into play at times, because:

1) Some people (including some "experts") are very skeptical of natural/alternative therapies, which makes other people unsure about trying them
2) There are some bogus alternative practices out there which don't really work and are just cons to make money
3) Some good results may be down to the "placebo effect" (a good result happening because the person believed it would work)

But if a natural/alternative therapy:

1) has been demonstrated to be successful for lots of people, as so many of them have
2) and/or has had a double-blind trial done
3) and/or has had good results that could not have come from the placebo effect (such as when a person takes a natural supplement, thinking in their depressed state that it probably won't work, and then it does - which was me!!)

-- then they are certainly worth trying! Most would never hurt you (unless you had an allergic reaction, or took a wrong dosage, etc) and could do you a lot of good. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain!