Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

joan

Posted Sat Apr 13th, 2013 8:27am Post subject: Doctor Who

I've always enjoyed Doctor Who, ever since it started when I was 18 in 1963. Anyway, there's a convention in Brisbane tomorrow called Lords of Time, all about Doctor Who, with 4 actors who've played The Doctor in the past, and a few other people, such as the voice of K9, talks, photos, presentations, even a costume competition (No. I'm not dressing up as a Dalek!!)

I've never been to owt like that before, so I'm looking forward to having a fun day. Two friends are going with me, Elisabeth and Shirley. I've known Elisabeth about 30 years, and Shirley ruins our writers' group that I've been in for a couple of years. This sort of thing is new to them too.

I'll post a review of it all on Monday!

joan

Posted Fri Apr 19th, 2013 4:00am Post subject: Doctor Who

i had a lovely time at the 'Lords of Time' convention as they called it. Will post summat about it later, but I got sick not long after, and got back from hospital after a murderous bout of gastro-enteritis. I was treated fantastically well by the ambulance paramedics, the A&E staff, and the people in the short stay ward. The hospital was sparkling clean and efficient. I was so sick I couldn't stand, couldn't sit up, could hardly speak, kept passing out, my body doing unspeakable things, the least bad of which was vomiting. They managed to maintain my privacy and dignity throughout.

This is a public hospital in a working class area - we have a national health service here in Australia - but some people distrust it and go private. I cannot understand why, after my experience. I was looked after by so many people - doctors, nurses, Xray staff, orderlies - and every single one was kind, friendly and efficient.

I can't get over it.

Frazzy

Posted Sat Apr 27th, 2013 4:39am Post subject: Doctor Who

Aye, we've spent A LOT of time in various public hospitals with my mother-in-law the past 18 months, (stroke, rehab, seizures, torn knee thing, more rehab, heart surgery, more rehab..) with very few problems. I remember one nasty nurse, and departments are pretty bad at communicating with each other, but that's all.
It's not perfect, but we are damn lucky to have it.
Also 99% of nurses are fucking awesome and amazing and deserve better pay and more cake.

joan

Posted Mon Apr 29th, 2013 10:54pm Post subject: Doctor Who

Absolutely, Frazzy! I did send a nice letter to the head of A&E, and a thank you card.