Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

jives11

Posted Sun Oct 19th, 2008 11:43pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
Quite a few pieces of music used in this series have sounded very interesting. Does anyone know of a list of the music used ? For example the music which accompanied Stephen climbing into a hot air balloon and travelling across the tree tops. It was a Classical piece, I'd guess American, with muted trumpets at the start

fecundity10

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 1:47pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
I think the music playing during the ballooning sequence was from the soundtrack of the Ridley Scott movie "Alien" and was composed by Jerry Goldsmith.

Not sure if it played over the entire sequence but it was definitely the opening part.

Berna

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 6:53pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
And then the next question: the start of the program shows US states falling into their place and forming the complete States. It looks like a genuine puzzle to me. And I think it is marvelous, I could usethis for my lessons. Is this puzzle for sale somewhere? I would really like to own one of these puzzles. And since I'm not likely to visit the States shortly (and on long term), I can't find out myself. Does anyone know?

jives11

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:11pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
I think the music playing during the ballooning sequence was from the soundtrack of the Ridley Scott movie "Alien" and was composed by Jerry Goldsmith.

Not sure if it played over the entire sequence but it was definitely the opening part.

Thank you, that's very interesting. It explains why the music was familiar ,I have seen Alien a few times and should have recognised it, though I still have a hunch that the same musical motif is used in an American classical piece. I half remember it being used in a programme about Douglas MacArthur. Echoing , almost Roman sounding distant trumpets make a very emotive sound, I think it's also used in other soundtracks, Apollo 13 springs to mind

aedan

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 11:02pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
I'm pretty sure there was some music from "Gods and Monsters" while the chicken was being cooked.

michael

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 11:37pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
And then the next question: the start of the program shows US states falling into their place and forming the complete States. It looks like a genuine puzzle to me. And I think it is marvelous, I could usethis for my lessons. Is this puzzle for sale somewhere? I would really like to own one of these puzzles. And since I'm not likely to visit the States shortly (and on long term), I can't find out myself. Does anyone know?

It's not a puzzle, it's rubber fridge magnets. (tho i'm sure you can get a puzzle of the states) They're sold in every state at truckstops and drugstores, but you'd have to go to every state to get them!

well, there may be other ways.

if you want to see what i mean, i think in the first episode i saw he had them on the hood of his car.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

AHisme

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 12:05am Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?

if you want to see what i mean, i think in the first episode i saw he had them on the hood of his car.

fecundity10

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 1:14pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
After a little googleage I found this URL for something close.

http://www.internationalgiftitems.com/state_magnets_and_board.htm

I'm sure with a bit more rummaging or maybe help from US SF fans you should be able to get hold of them

Good luck with the hunt.

mihtjel

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 7:29pm Post subject: Does anyone know the music used ?
Getting back to the issue of the music: What's the music in the intro? I really like the version played on the piano, and I'd love to learn to play it for myself.. alas, my abilities at play-by-ear aren't great, and getting some sheet music (and to get that, a title) would make it a lot easier.

I hope someone has recognised it.