Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ironoutlaw

Posted Sat Sep 29th, 2012 11:32pm Post subject: Dog

Dear Stephen

This is my first post and it is a response to a comment you made on a recent edition I saw of QI.

You said that there is nothing to indicate where the word "Dog" came from, that it just appeared in English and cannot be seen to have been derived from any source. Something I read recently may be an answer to that quandry.

It started with a cartoon I saw where there were 2 fleas meandering through a mass of long hair. One flea says to the other, "I wonder if there really is a Dog?" Not long after I read a religious commentator who stated that the word "Dog" is a mirror image of the word "God" because a dog is the only creature that reflects the love of God. A dog cares not how you treat it, nor what sort of person you are. (Even Blondie loved Hitler.) A dog is the only creature who will give you unconditional love.

Hearing you comment about the word made me wonder if indeed it had simply been created way back when by a religious thinker, another St. Francis maybe, for those very same reasons. Since many people are ignorant of the quality of dogs, or any other animal for that manner, the usage of "dog" was denigrated as time went by to describe those cosidered no better than animals.

Just a thought, so I have chosen to risk all and chuck my idea in to be further chucked about by those far better qualified than I to comment on such heady matters.

Take care and keep well dear Stephen, and thank you so much for what you do.

Brad Golding
Australia

Take care and keep well dear Stephen, and thank you so much for what you do.

Brad Golding
Australia

Pookah

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2012 9:30am Post subject: Dog

Hi Brad,
I just had to answer your post because it sent me scuttling to my compact edition of the OED. After rushing around looking for the magnifying glass (this edition has 4-pages reduced on each page), I saw exactly what Stephen meant. How very odd. It appeared about 1050 in reference to a type of powerful breed of English hound.

I have to admit being dog crazy from an early age. My parents had an unusual method of child-minding and left their Yorkshire terrier in my cradle to keep me warm.
Bye for now.
Shell

Frazzy

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2012 2:11pm Post subject: Dog

Dogs! I was apparently saved from a fire by my parents Labrador when I was just a few weeks old.
Always had dogs, and never want to be without one. Dogs are the best.

joan

Posted Sun Oct 14th, 2012 10:05pm Post subject: Dog

Dogs can save your sanity. I wanted to upload a picture of Beth, my Golden Retriever. but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Frazzy

Posted Sun Oct 21st, 2012 10:49pm Post subject: Dog

My older dog died last week He was 13, and had a good life though, and I still have his son.. He was good at saving sanity, and turtles, other dogs, and laundries.. He let us know when cane toads got into the turtle pond.. and when the other dogs got out, he'd follow them out, and then run and bang on the front door to let us know.. and he let us know when the laundry was flooding... He also helpfully removed fallen branches from the pool.. although he wasn't actually allowed in the pool, we just couldn't keep him out...