Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 7:38am Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Seriously..or is that 'srsly'...if you don't want the occasional dissenting, 'negative', or otherwise non-fawning tweet coming your way, stop using a tool designed to INVITE comments.

Maybe a filter will be designed like,"Only allow tweets that adore me or otherwise agree with all I say and do."

Sorry, I just do not understand the brittle reaction of people who know full well they've entered into a public arena and then behave as if all the rules are set up entirely in their own favor. Really?.....Seems kind of childish...like the 'manners and morals' of those invented gods of religion...

I need an army who will rise to my defense should any individual out there dare to yawn when I speak, write, or breathe. But I never could afford that big an army X-D

Isn't it more rude to pretend a love of free speech only to want to whip it down when it doesn't arrive in a familiar form?

Anyway, it's late and I'm sleepy...

Really? Wow.

andrealein

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 10:13am Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Actually I think you're right. I don't even understand why such a comment causes that much reaction. *shrugs* I mean it's different when you say something really mean... Or did I miss something?

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 1:25pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Are you suggesting that someone would be wrong to respond to a negative tweet? That to do so would somehow inhibiting free speech?

As to the comment you are talking about, I agree with andrealein, it really didn't seem so horribly negative as to start people sending unpleasant responses. I assume(d) that he may have said something meaner but then changed it? I also assume that these two men have some prior animosity. I know that is a lot of assuming. X-D And I say this as someone who is actually fiercely protective of people I like.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Are you suggesting that someone would be wrong to respond to a negative tweet? That to do so would somehow inhibiting free speech?

Q1) No
Q2) LOL! Never! Absolutely not.

I'm saying, not suggesting, that if you knowingly and in advance use a tool that invites public opinion, and then bristle when an opinion you don't like comes your way, don't be surprised or, worse, take it so damned seriously. I mean...it's TWITTER for gods sakes X-D And it's ONE opinion in a sea of many.Not everybody is going to like everything. So, should the people who don't like a thing duct tape their mouths for the sake of.....what?

I know that is a lot of assuming. X-D And I say this as someone who is actually fiercely protective of people I like. X-D

Yeah...I guess if I were going to make any assumptions it would be that someone in the limelight for decades would have a little thicker skin by now or take such comments in stride. I'd rather assume and potentially err on the side of someones intelligence and sincerity, than assume a fragility that would be sort of stunning, all things considered.

Protective? I'm protective too but they were just an opinion expressed by one man. AND, a man who had already said on his site that he thought he was a genius. So the reaction to some trivial opinion on something not exactly earth-shattering, strikes me as beyond protective and pushing a public execution. Seriously, the guy was scathingly villified and I can kind of understand the fans doing that...but not the head honcho jumping in....

Maybe you're right...maybe he said something horrible, disgusting, made some threat...but as it stands? The reaction to an OPINION and a few WORDS just seemed horribly out of proportion, particularly in context not in spite of it....and probably a sychophant or two exacberated that reaction...

the ironic thing is when I noticed it, 'The trials of oscar wilde' were on and at that part of the movie where Oscar is now being hated on by everyone...it reminded of the backlash against this one twitterererer....i don't feel sorry for the guy, but he seems to understand the difference between speech encouraged and speech shut down better than all the many who say they 'love language' X-D

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 7:40pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
[
Protective? I'm protective too but they were just an opinion expressed by one man. AND, a man who had already said on his site that he thought he was a genius. So the reaction to some trivial opinion on something not exactly earth-shattering, strikes me as beyond protective and pushing a public execution. Seriously, the guy was scathingly villified and I can kind of understand the fans doing that...but not the head honcho jumping in....

Maybe you're right...maybe he said something horrible, disgusting, made some threat...but as it stands? The reaction to an OPINION and a few WORDS just seemed horribly out of proportion, particularly in context not in spite of it....and probably a sychophant or two exacberated that reaction...

Hehe, just to make it clear, in case I didn't (I have a way of saying simple things very long-windedly), I was, for the most part agreeing with you. I, too, thought it was a bit of an over-reaction to what saw posted which is what made me think there was more to it than I saw. And the reason I added my comment about being over protective was to point out that it was even so over the top, if you will, that even I had a hard time defending it. But I will still try X-D

Julia from Bristol

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 8:12pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Is this all about Stephen, Oscar & the Pope?

I have a cunning plan!

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 8:54pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Is this all about Stephen, Oscar & the Pope?

X-D X-D rofl...not saying you meant that to be funny, but as read...i did laugh...

it could be a public figure boxing match: stephen ( living ), oscar ( a skeleton by now, right? ), and the pope (in white dress )...the pope needs a sidekick to make it fair fight though...any ideas? this will have to be a puppet show of course...the real thing would be really shocking...

no Julia, it's all about...um....someone posted a video using twitter...another guy said he thought it was boring...then a whole bunch of guys jumpd on the guy who said it was boring..and then someone said he was rude...and mean....and then the guy who said the boring thing said he's not mean, but he might cheap...then the video poster said that it would ok if he was mean...

it's a fascinating use of and effect of that lovely damn technology...

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 9:19pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
[No Julia, it's all about...um....someone posted a video using twitter...another guy said he thought it was boring...then a whole bunch of guys jumpd on the guy who said it was boring..and then someone said he was rude...and mean....and then the guy who said the boring thing said he's not mean, but he might cheap...then the video poster said that it would ok if he was mean...

it's a fascinating use of and effect of that lovely damn technology...

I must admit that I find your retelling of the story extremely funny. X-D But "the video poster said it woud be ok if he was mean..." ? (I'm assuming you mean the OP) I missed that. X-D

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 10:46pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'

I must admit that I find your retelling of the story extremely funny. X-D But "the video poster said it woud be ok if he was mean..." ? (I'm assuming you mean the OP) I missed that. X-D

Oops, my mistake: Should've written,"...the video poster said it would be ok if he was cheap."...very sorry...

yeah, video poster = OP I also hear he acts in movies and is a very nice person

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 10:55pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
My fault, just went back to Twitter and see there is a whole convo that I missed. Not sure how I missed that exchange. But I got it now.. Nice guy, hrmmph, I think Australia has a different standard of nice than I do. (j/k) (Oh come on dear Australian members no offense, I love you all. I honestly didn't find the initial comment that offensive.)

Julia from Bristol

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:37pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Oh

I have a cunning plan!

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:43pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Seriously..or is that 'srsly'...if you don't want the occasional dissenting, 'negative', or otherwise non-fawning tweet coming your way, stop using a tool designed to INVITE comments.

Maybe a filter will be designed like,"Only allow tweets that adore me or otherwise agree with all I say and do."

Sorry, I just do not understand the brittle reaction of people who know full well they've entered into a public arena and then behave as if all the rules are set up entirely in their own favor. Really?.....Seems kind of childish...like the 'manners and morals' of those invented gods of religion...

I need an army who will rise to my defense should any individual out there dare to yawn when I speak, write, or breathe. But I never could afford that big an army X-D

Isn't it more rude to pretend a love of free speech only to want to whip it down when it doesn't arrive in a familiar form?

Anyway, it's late and I'm sleepy...

I haven't got the faintest idea what this is about. Which is not unusual as I miss most things.

That's all I've got to say really.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jul 18th, 2009 11:32pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
... nor have i got a clue (je me suis clueless) but a link would be good - shock and horror on the twitternet

exoskeleton

Posted Sun Jul 19th, 2009 12:00am Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
I never like folks ganging up, especially on a comment not worded with any particular aggression. my general rule with tweets (not meant to be imposed on others, but I like it) is that I'll only intrude on a reply to someone else if I'm following both of them already, and we've all had previous exchanges, and I feel I have something to contribute. it's more fun on the internet without having people upset with you.
btw, I like the up and down thumb on youtube because that way if enough individuals don't like something, it disappears without a fight.

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Sun Jul 19th, 2009 2:59pm Post subject: Don't Twitter if you can't take the 'heat'
Anonymity...."Give a man a mask..."...I don't know..I don't think OP was making a list of who supported him and who did not, but some in the crowd may have been hoping he was X-D

Really? Wow.