Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

darjeelingdarling

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 11:14pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
I have one of Stephen! Made it myself, it's like a t-shirt print. I also have the Chief Meanie from Yellow Submarine, which gave me a few nightmares at first, I must admit.

I should get one of Wilde in his coat. One that covers the entire wall.

4orty2

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 4:16am Post subject: Dorm room posters
I really liked the part about the posters mainly because I'm a student myself and have (of course) some posters on the wall. And guess what? I even have an Oscar Wilde poster. Well, it's Oscar with a bunch of other Irish writers (Joyce, Beckett, Shaw etc.) In addition, they recently renovated our college pub on campus and put up giant pictures of the aforementioned gentlemen. Oscar posters can not only be found in dorm rooms but also in the pub!

WhatWouldJeevesDo

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 10:31pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
I don't live in a dorm, but what's on my wall at the moment are a few pages from Fruits magazine (a Japanese publication), poster about the civil war, and a Japanese advert about houses that are being built in Tokyo.

In the dorms I see where I go, a private Christian university, I see a lot of posters from bands like Jars of Clay, DC Talk, Switchfoot, etc. There are are few dorms where I've seen posters from artists such as Van Gogh, Monet, Dali, and other artists.

I'm hoping to get a few Edward Hopper and Dali prints. I've always wanted an Einstein poster (particularly the one with his tongue sticking out) ever since I saw one hanging on the wall of Annie's side of the room in show The Secret World of Alex Mack. I never thought about getting an Oscar Wilde poster, but I was checking out a few websites and came across Aubrey Beardsley's illustrations for the play Salome. Since I like art nouveau, I might buy one of those.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 6:02pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
My poster of choice a black & white David Bowie from his Thin White Duke era.

Assuming direct control...

alley

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
i just had to....
the 2 prints i own.
both hangning on my bedroom walls....
http://www.abcgallery.com/K/kahlo/kahlo43.jpg
http://time-blog.com/looking_around/Caspar_David_Friedrich_006.jpg
makes you wake up to a more positive day

WhatWouldJeevesDo

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 3:38am Post subject: Dorm room posters
i just had to....
the 2 prints i own.
both hangning on my bedroom walls....
http://www.abcgallery.com/K/kahlo/kahlo43.jpg

"The Suicide of Dorothy Hale" has always intrigued me. The only reason why I don't have that print is because my mom would not be thrilled to see that up on my wall. I love Frida Kahlo.

alley

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 8:36am Post subject: Dorm room posters
Indeed, Frida Kahlo is amazing.
And that painting in particular because of the story behind it.
why woud your mum not be thrilled?
just because tis a painting about a suicide?
if you tell her Dorothy Hles story i'm pretty sure she'll go frame shopping

WhatWouldJeevesDo

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 3:11pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
Indeed, Frida Kahlo is amazing.
And that painting in particular because of the story behind it.
why woud your mum not be thrilled?
just because tis a painting about a suicide?
if you tell her Dorothy Hles story i'm pretty sure she'll go frame shopping

I did, actually. Back in high school I started to read about Frida Kahlo, and I would tell her about the paintings I liked. I showed her the Dorothy Hale painting and explained it to her. She simply didn't like it. Perhaps she's changed; after all it's been a few years back when I asked if I could get the print.

alley

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 4:01pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
well art is very subjective.
there are a LOT paintings which are considered great pieces of art which i find amazingly ugly
and i am a painter by trade and have to talk to customers about art a lot...
but if you like the painting and she doesn't what's the point? after all tis your wall
i had "the burning of the houses of parliament" by turner right above my kitchen oven. well my mom's only comment was "perfect describtion of your cooking"
and when i put up the kahlo she just grinned "look what a budle of joy we are...."
ok i'm not making a point here, i think my mum gave up on me and my choice of wall decoration a looooong time ago

korova-milk-bar

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 12:35am Post subject: Dorm room posters
First posting in a forum, so do bear with me, yesI have to say a class podcast, completely enjoyable and eased alot of the pain that I was in due to some severe sunburn on holidays, god bless Stephen Fry. In my room at college I have fitted as many posters as I can on my wall, still lacking the holy grail of a poster that is an Oscar Wilde one but I have tried to fashon one myself in order to get me by, a crude combination of pictures and quotes. I actually have the ballad of reading gaol all across one of my walls. Obviously not the entire poem otherwise I would have no room for anything else on my walls. An edited ballad! Anyway apart from those items the poster Im proudest of is a picture of Alexander De Large from A Clockwork Orange with a movie review underneath it. The picture is a painted one, not a photograph but its a stunning one and its hung in such a way that it looks down on me as I sleep. And I have to say my friends find it a particularly creepy poster and some even refuse to come into room simply because they feel ''Alex'' is watching them. Very strange and yet sadistic watching peoples reactions to this poster. Anywhoo I thought it was an excelllent section of the podgram and really got me talking with a few friends, (not many I have to say, most of my friends cant stand when I talk about Wilde or Stephen or Derren Brown or any of these people I find fascinating, henceforth I turn to the forums!) Help me o dedicated followers of Fry!

techniquest

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 7:23pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
This is my first posting here - I am a new member. Hello.
Many years ago, when I were a teen, the one poster which kept appearing -whether it were on student walls, friends bedroom walls, or just the main window of the local 'Athena' - was the one with the lady tennis player walking away from us revealing her naked behind.
I never had that one, but I did have the Celtic legend-style 'Glastonbury' and 'Avebury' posters (it was definitely my thing back then).
Anyhow, I hope to be a regular reader and contributor to this forum. Thank you Mr Fry, you are a gem and an inspiration.

Geritak

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 7:50pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
I think what I meant (now that I think about it, I mean), is that I've never come across anyone who has hung an Oscar Wilde poster in their room. In fact, I don't think I've ever met any Wilde fans during my time in college or otherwise, so I think I was surprised to hear about what Stephen had come across in his travels.

I think you'd be surprised.

I'm in Sixth Form College at the minute (that's the bit in British education for 16-19-year-olds, in case you weren't aware), a Sixth Form that isn't exactly in the literary capital of England... I have to say I know of a fair number of Wilde fans. I might actually go so far to say as Wilde-worshippers.

It's not even as if you can put that down to us being a small collection of bespectacled, dictionary-devouring geeks. Nor are most of us the bold, prententiously self-confident types mentioned above. I know of plenty who, in a different decade, may have turned to Marx or the Beatles as their role models and who still have a great deal of respect for both. Many would confess to lacking the balls needed to invite the venerable Stephen Fry to their dorms. Members of my age-group continue to choose Wilde for the simple reason that (as one of my classmates so succinctly put it) "He speaks wise words".

So I guess the short summary is this; Fry has a good point. And he is also free to sit on his hobby-horse any time he pleases.

BeamaCasey

Posted Sun Jun 1st, 2008 8:55pm Post subject: Dorm room posters
It's rather exciting that there's a discussion dedicated to posters and stuff, cos I have a poster of Martin Luther King Jr in my room, delivering his famous 'I have a dream' speech.

But it's the weirdest thing: a random woman in the crowd looks almost exactly like my mother. Can we say 'Creepy!'

As well as that, I also have some poems on the wall, because, apparently I'm actually that pretentious...

whateverfloats

Posted Fri Jun 13th, 2008 4:32am Post subject: Dorm room posters
http://classicilliterature.blogspot.com/2007/11/to.....sters.html

You have got to check out that link. I hate to admit it but I've got a Dali poster as well as one with the White Album. Ah, and Van Gogh.

But in my defense, I was interested in all of the above long before I went to university.

mickomea

Posted Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 1:47am Post subject: Dorm room posters

4orty2 said:
I really liked the part about the posters mainly because I'm a student myself and have (of course) some posters on the wall. And guess what? I even have an Oscar Wilde poster. Well, it's Oscar with a bunch of other Irish writers (Joyce, Beckett, Shaw etc.) In addition, they recently renovated our college pub on campus and put up giant pictures of the aforementioned gentlemen. Oscar posters can not only be found in dorm rooms but also in the pub!

Dear Stephen (should I luck on to you in the flesh) or Dear Any Other Friedman, Can you tell me where I might find a list of who's in the famous group portrait painting of Irish writers that's in the Writers Museum in Dublin (in the bookshop, I believe)? I think it is the same Stephen refers to in this post.

If I have teched this right, you should see the pic at the end of this link:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=743941831#!/photo.php?fbid=461162631831&set=a.461159116831.249554.743941831&pid=5352529&id=743941831