Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2012 1:23pm Post subject: Dr.Coconut

I really wasn't sure where to post this because it's not exactly a 'shiny' thing. Well, so I'll put it here.

I'm really very skeptical about most everything, particularly claims that strike me as pseudo-scientific and those come from the health nut community A LOT.

But I also eat pretty healthy of my own accord whever possible though don't try to interrupt my love of cake or pizza because them would be fighting words. I don't eat them everyday anyhow but anyway, I'm going all American on you here.

I had heard things about coconut oil and kind of chalked it up to more horseshit but when I stopped into a store with a friend, there some sat so I figured,"What the heck, I'll try it.".

I'd had a rough patch of skin across two of my knuckles and a minor cut on one of my fingers. Within two days the cut was totally healed. I mean smooth, like nothing was there. The rough bit of skin came to heel in about a week and a half and is now virtually gone. I don't know WHAT is going on with my hair other than to say it's thicker. As if the skin and hair thing weren't enough...

...my dog has always had a problem with these little bumps along his spine, I guess kind of like blackheads. I started applying the coconut oil on him and TWO DAYS LATER they are almost totally gone. Not only that, any time I spin the lid on that coconut jar now he comes bolting across the room and slides into my ankles sideways to get at it. Maybe I should pimp him out

I did a little digging and am providing this link, mostly because the good doctor talks about his own research into this and mentions, in particular, the anti-viral, anti-biotic qualities on the skin from coconut oil. If I had a friend with any kind of skin condition, I would poke them to consider it.

Another upside, it apparantly levels the sugars in your bloodstream out so may be good for diabetics as well. And another upside is that it acts as a natural thermogenic. It boosts your metabolism. It may be one of those saturated fats that's actually good for you. So, whatever your fat sources are, maybe replace it with coconut oil ( just make sure it's the pure, no hexane, cold pressed, extra virgin kind ).

I honestly have used a lot of different things that had trivial impacts so weren't really worth carrying on. But the impacts of this have been so rapid and so obvious that it blows my mind. I even had serious callus on the palms of one of my hands because I use a wooden walking stick sometimes when I hike. They are almost gone and this was not intentional on my part. And the wood itself looks like some bit of fine crafted furniture, so I've prepped the whole stick now for winter

This is one heckuva versatile food. Still, be a good skeptic and try it yourself. I think it takes around 3 weeks for any dietary change to really be having noticeable impacts on the body, so try using it as a moisturizer for your hands first every day if eating it is too scary.]]

And if you already use it, that's great. You're well ahead of the curve. BTW I hear a lot of people enjoy coconut water as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi2SD6wO9Q&feature=related

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Sep 2nd, 2012 3:03am Post subject: Dr.Coconut

Coconut water is great. It isn't sweet and it has electrolytes so I drink it after my runs. Never tried the oil tho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19435442

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 5th, 2012 1:08am Post subject: Dr.Coconut

Yeah, I really need to commit to making the purchase of some of that water. If it's sweet, did you find it making you thirstier or does it also work as a good thirst quencher? Has it helped to put some lime juice in it or something opposing like that? A friend recommended Coco Vitae ? It's kind of hard to find in my area of BFE though, so I'll have to order it.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Sep 5th, 2012 2:40am Post subject: Dr.Coconut

I prefer it plain but I think you can get it already mixed with juice. I find that I recover from my runs much more quickly than I normally would if using a sports drink. Walmart has it if there's one of those where you are.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2012 9:29pm Post subject: Dr.Coconut

Thanks Tobi, I took the plunge and instantly recovered some memories, ( I took a brain injury once and lost much of my personal history ), of eating coconuts and drinking coconut milk and water. I suppose that's why it was no difficulty at all to drink plain or flavored. I actually like it without flavoring and chilled. Prior to all this, I was very speculative when some friends suggested it to me because I'd heard that some people found it to be an unpleasant taste. I agree that it's a preferred source of hydration and it's helped my energy a bit even, though I'll stick with plain old water in general just because the coconut water has a ton of potassium and I haven't found out yet if excess amounts of that can be counter-productive in some way. Anyhow, thanks so much for your input. It was the last little nudge I needed

Really? Wow.