Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JohnanJan

Posted Fri Jan 29th, 2010 9:43pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

Stephen, what are you doing to QI? It used to be a good, humorous, but intellectual show. However, lately there seems a concerted attempt to dumb it down, starting with your painful howl at the start - what's that all about for goodness sake. And then there's the idiotic audience who seem to want to hoot and shout all the time. At this rate we (my wife and I) won't see the end of this series - please raise your game to the level which deserves your brilliant wit and intellect !!

Mandibles

Posted Fri Jan 29th, 2010 11:46pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

Hello JohnanJan, welcome to the forum,

Admittedly Stephen's "Gooooood Evening" howl at the start is not to everyone's tastes, but please remember that it is Stephen's choice, and that he is after all performing to entertain. I myself don't find it overly annoying considering that the only noise aside from that is just applause.

As for the audience, I have to disagree. They are far from idiotic. QI is (like you said) a show for intellectuals, and the panelists/host often ask for answers - simply to test the intellectual level of the audience and 9/10 they come back with the correct answer. I always feel quite proud when the audience manage to answer a particularly difficult question, and I myself have been in their shoes. Never assume that your audience is stupid, and that the greatest shows in TV history have had some level of audience participation.

Hooting, I am not quite sure what you mean by that - do you mean random whistles and "woo" noises?

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

Laur1991

Posted Tue Feb 2nd, 2010 3:55am Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

Oh man, if you think the QI audience hoots and shouts, you haven't seen about 99% of American shows. The audience is nice and quiet on QI compared to the shows I watch. Even during the "giant turtle" thing of last episode.

As for the "dumbing it down' part, I think QI now is pretty much the same as it ever was. I actually thought series F was a lot less "smart" and more noisy/over the top than this one. In my opinion they've toned it down quite a bit.

But then again, certain things strike people in different ways. Just hang in there JohnanJan. QI is still better than the majority of things on tv.

cardno4

Posted Sat Feb 20th, 2010 7:36pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

all i have to say on this matter is , Laur1991 love your picture.

korakk

Posted Fri Mar 5th, 2010 12:31pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

i feel that i am happy with QI its intelllegent and hillarious!

the audience joining in is often funny as well i remember one episode where they were talking about the biggest dump in the world and a member of the audience shouted "FRANCE" : ) i found it pretty funny

hello people I assume you are reading this because you are lost if you scroll down alittle more you should find the next post
but if you do want to see my gibberish click here http://twitter.com/seangilfillan

Theahatthe

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 1:36am Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

What's wrong with the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD evening malarky? I fail to understand how that 'dumbs down' the programme. In my opinion, it's a fun little trademark opening which is nearly always followed by a very intelligent piece of wordplay. I understand that it may not be to everybody's taste, but it is simply an opening line. The rest of the programme is as QI-y as ever.

As for the audience, they are there to react to the programme - that's one of the features of a panel show. I hate canned laughter and ridiculous audience behaviour, but find the QI audience as a general rule are moderate and intelligent.

blur

Posted Fri May 28th, 2010 2:33pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

I'm loving it, frankly!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 12th, 2010 12:56pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

I have no issue with the studio audience. Some shows do well with studio audiences (for example Red Dwarf, which seems to suffer a bit when it does not have one). Yes, American shows can have more annoying audiences (something which The Simpsons once took the piss out of). Canned laughter on the other hand = eurgh.

I don't think it's dumbed down, though I don't like how this last series there have been one or two references made to c'lebs and the like which is something the show said it would never do. At least it hasn't dwelt on those and moved swiftly on. I just worry about how slippery the slope is. I know too many people who gave up on QI during series G. I seemed to be the only one who stuck with it. Some say it's gotten smug like HIGNFY. I don't think it has, but then I enjoy watching HIGNFY and I still enjoy Mock The Week and QI as well. They entertain and I learn new things so I'm happy.

Assuming direct control...

melissaspeirs

Posted Sun Aug 15th, 2010 4:36am Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

If series F dumbing down or have the audience and viewers getting smarter? Perhaps QI has tickled more than just our funny bone? Perhaps now our learning centre has been peaked! We are taking more in and therefore know some of the answers!

MelissaESpeirs

lillyshak

Posted Sun Dec 19th, 2010 9:05pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

I disagree. Qi is as clever as ever - in fact, in the first 3 or 4 series, I was getting twice as many questions correct!
GOOOOOOODDD Evennning - A funny trademark to the show.
If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Thou shall not doubt the word of Stephen Fry.
Fry is good,
Fry is great,
Fry is clever,
Fry is God.
Now continue praying to him.

Capn Imaginative

Posted Mon Jan 10th, 2011 5:29pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

"If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything"
I've always thought that was a rather daft saying, though sayings in general are usually daft.

I have no idea how Stephen's Good Evening at the start is supposed to be dumbing down the show, though I feel that some of the guests must have been pretending to be dim witted to wind a lot of people up, though it may just be me who flies into a rage at insistent numpties.

thoughtful_wish

Posted Fri Jan 14th, 2011 12:05pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

Personally, I don't feel it has been "dumbed down", persay. Perhaps it just covers areas with which you or the general public are more familiar? That, in a way, is the beauty of QI - it uncovers the fact that so much that we take for granted is, in fact, based on fallacy or misunderstanding. If the entire show was just about really obscure facts, it would not be Quite as Interesting - well, I daresay the likes of us would still find it interesting, but perhaps the general public would not. After all, it's not Stephen's choice but that of the network. Whatever works for them works for me

Hand in hand we can marvel together at the strangeness of the human condition.
- Stephen

Bianca: Why did you not tell me you were so strong?
Simone: Why did you not tell me you were beautiful?
- Oscar

@thoughtful_wish

clochm

Posted Fri Jan 21st, 2011 12:57am Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

Huh?
I dont get it.
Anyway, off to read the crossword toilet paper while I conduct morning ablutions after a Quite Interesting episode last night. Ah hah ha. Smart AND funny.

This too shall pass.

Dawn Stubbs

Posted Thu Feb 10th, 2011 9:34pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

I always look forward to watching QI with its lively banter and quick whit! I love the show, and have great admiration for Stephen and his work. We need more of this type of show and more of Stephen. He is a pleasure to watch and listen to as well as a great writer. Keep it coming Stephen

mojo-chan

Posted Fri Feb 11th, 2011 9:49pm Post subject: Dumbing down QI?

I too tend to agree that QI has been dumbed down a bit, but not because of Stephen Fry. When it was on BBC2 they used to have a lot more discussion. Now you just get a lot of "banter" and jokes with very little actual interesting information. It has gone from being Quite Interesting to Moderately Funny (but a bit loud).

To prove the point I found an old series B episode I recorded and compared the sound level to a series H episode. The newer ones are a lot, lot louder. No wonder when they are full of people shouting over each other