Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Forest

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 8:03pm Post subject: Eating Marmots
Hello everyone.

First time user, long time alive.

Watching QI the other night, I saw a little piece on the friendly rodent the marmot. It brought back some memories for me.
I was in Mongolia in 1999 on a charity expedition with Raleigh International (is that advertising? Sorry.) and was fortunate enough to eat a marmot. Here is the cooking method in case anyone fancies a bit of marmot with their chipolatas this Christmas:
1) Pluck the hair from the marmot (but if some gets left on, don't worry about it)
2) Cut its belly open and insert hot rocks inside
3) Liberally douse in heat using a blowtorch
4) ENJOY!

Lauren

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 4:28am Post subject: Eating Marmots
Wow. That's... different.

A bit sad seeing as my avatar is "a small and friendly Vancouver Island marmot who always supports and cheers loudly for his friends during games and races."

So did it... taste good?

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

Forest

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 3:41pm Post subject: Eating Marmots
Oh dear, VansCity! Sorry about that! I've never seen a Vancouver Island marmot but I did see my first ever Raccoons in Vancouver! A family of five which I followed round for ages. So long in fact that they ended up calling the police on me.

Surprisingly, marmot tasted really, really nice. Sort of like salted beef, However, I was extremely hungry at this point so perhaps on a more refined pallette, it might have tasted like...erm....marmot.

I must also point out that when I asked the "chefs" why they cooked it that way, they said that "it was the only way to get rid of the plague". And they must have been right because I haven't perished yet!