Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Menelwen

Posted Wed Jan 5th, 2011 9:04pm Post subject: eBook Readers

Yay or nay? My boyfriend bought one today, and I cannot decide whether it makes me jealous or disillusioned.

There are obvious implications for publishing industries, media industries, and just good old fashioned tradition for bookworms such as myself!

But, let's face it, they're also just so darn NIFTY. Cheaper, condensed, more accessible literature for anyone who's brave enough to fork out for one, and surely the gadget pays for itself in the amount of free downloadable literature that it can hold, as well as cheaper cyber versions of texts.

I'm going to be writing an article about it for a student paper and was just curious about the views of others on the subject. ^_^

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Jan 6th, 2011 9:54am Post subject: eBook Readers

I have had a few different ebook readers over the years, either as applications on other devices (PDA, phone) or as standalone. The good points are as you might expect - you can carry lots of books around at once, it remembers your page and they are great to read at night if backlit.

In terms of bad points, there's region restrictions nowadays, in fact a couple of books I legitimately bought a few years back I could no longer buy as they are only available in the US. Second, there's the DRM which restricts the devices you can read certain books on. It also gives the publisher control of your content - I think there was a case of Amazon withdrawing 1984 and deleting it from people Kindles a couple of years ago. There's also the problem that ebooks can be just as pricey as the actual book but with nothing permanent to show for it.

I guess that makes it sound like I am not a fan, but I do think the convenience is wonderful.

That would be me.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jan 8th, 2011 9:43pm Post subject: eBook Readers

I love my new iPad. There, I've said it.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

c.andrews

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 2:23pm Post subject: eBook Readers

I am using my ipad as an ebook reader as well. Yes, it is much easier as you can have multiple content downloaded on your gadget you can read anytime but i still go back to reading on books, physical books. If you really love books, reading on the ipad or a kindle really feels different. Yes it has bookmarks and all those functions that could lure you in but it takes away the excitement from reading an actual book like avoiding it from having dog ears, or is it just me. It can harm the eyes too, not that you do not know that yet.

subtlekate

Posted Wed Mar 9th, 2011 8:09am Post subject: eBook Readers

They are so nifty, aren't they. I have one and love it dearly. I'll never do away with my real books, but for things that I'll read once, the ebook is gold. If I love the book, I then go out and buy the hardcopy which is my way of saying thank you author, I liked it so much I'm paying you twice.

leighmonster

Posted Sat Mar 12th, 2011 9:45am Post subject: eBook Readers

I am seriously considering getting one but I do wonder about reading in bed? It seems not to be the most comfortable of bedfellows and will I drop it on my face when I fall asleep only to be electrocuted if I was to drool in my sleep?
I do loath chopping down forest after forest just so that I can read something but I will miss burying my nose deep in the pages of a book either smelling its fresh paper and ink smell or better yet the smell of a second hand book store, wondering about who else has read these pages before. Part of the joy of a good book is the character it has acquired from being well read, the ring from a cup on the cover and the battered edges from being lugged around etc...
Still an e-reader seems so dreadfully convenient, no more hearing about a good book and thinking 'i must get that' then forgetting, no more books out of stock or that have to be special ordered in, no more leaving the book on the bus. Yet, Book shopping is a something almost sacred. Often my girlfriend and I have gone on dates consisting of dinner and borders rather than dinner and a movie or wasted a whole Saturday in second hand book stores seeing what treasure we could find.
I suspect, in the end, I will get an e-reader and that I will use it with enthusiasm but that for as long as they exist I will continue to spend a lot of time in book stores, after all I will still need a book to sleep with.

Bethune

Posted Sat Mar 26th, 2011 5:55pm Post subject: eBook Readers

To be honest I am a big audiobook advocate. When I think about when I want to 'leisure read' (bearing in mind how much work related reading we probably all do all day) the last thing I really want to do on the long rail commute home is bombard my poor eyes with even more print - however cleverly it is served to me!

I much prefer to plug in my earphones and close my eyes and have someone read a book to me.

Aside from anything else it's far cheaper to get started with audiobooks than it is with eReading...Practically everyone has an MP3 device these days anyway.

indie_ebooks

Posted Sat May 7th, 2011 5:10pm Post subject: eBook Readers

I bought a Kindle last year and absolutely love it. It led to me finding out about a whole indie ebook industry. I didnt know such a thing existed till I got my Kindle.
I must admit that I love buying books and have bookshelves lined. It is easier to justify buying more books when they aren't taking up so much space. The thing that really sold me on the Kindle is that the screen is not backlit. I work in IT so the last thing I wanted was another screen to look at. Its also easy to read in the sun, lit screens are glary, but may you have to live in a place like Australia to get that bit (LOL)

Cheers
Nadine

My Blog

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat May 28th, 2011 4:34pm Post subject: eBook Readers

I treated myself to a kindle last week. Absolutely love it so far (though DRM is still a concern). It's lightyears ahead of the iRex iliad I bought a couple of years back. It's a better size/weight and and the screen refresh speed is so much faster. There's a few more books missing from the kindle store unfortunately, I hope that improves soon. Of course I do have slightly odd taste in older sci-fi!

One extra feature I'd like is the ability to make new text notes somehow. I guess I could find something via a website. I'd also like them to make it a bit easier to manage collections. I've got quite a few work pdfs on there and it's a bit of a pain to manage them with the tick box lists.

That would be me.

jobernowl

Posted Mon Jun 13th, 2011 10:33pm Post subject: eBook Readers

I was dubious about e-readers at first, I just love paper books too much. It seemed to me that the sensations of books were being forgotten, the smell, the tactile sense of turning a page, the weight of them etc. And of course the joys of just browsing a book shop.

However, I finally decided to buy one after moving to the middle of nowhere in Spain where buying ANY book can be more than a tad problematic. And I now love my Kindle and wouldn´t be without it. Buying books is easy, even with a paltry GPRS connection, and of course there´s all those wonderful free ones out there too.

It isn´t perfect, I have a lot of PDF´s that it doesn´t like, and even though Amazon offers a free translation over to their own format, it doesn´t work very well for even mildly complex page layouts. Then there´s also the fact that not many e-books seem to bother with cover-art, something I´m sure illustrators will begin worrying about as e-readers really take off. And of course the DRM issue is, as usual a bit of a pain. But on balance it´s probably the best gadget I´ve ever bought, simply for how often I use it - every single day.

But what I´m really after is an e-reader running Electrowetting technology (which is presently in development). Colour e-ink with a refresh rate sufficient for the display of moving images. Now that will be something to drool over.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 14th, 2011 5:09am Post subject: eBook Readers

TobiasMonk said:
I love my new iPad. There, I've said it.

ROFLMAO!!!

You hug that iPad all you want Tobi!

For me, eReaders are great. One reason is that it will make things much, much easier on us book collectors who are getting rich off you all abandoning the archaic paper stuff. I thank you.

The thing I adore about old school books is that they don't need batteries nor electricity nor my computer, nor anyone else's. Ever. And I don't feel any subversive pressure to feel I've got to use anyones clunky software to get at the authors works, sign up for anything to do so, or have an online connection. I just carry a book. I know, I know...that makes me so...something bad LOL

I also admit to a perverse pleasure in donating books to my local library, such as it is, and supporting their very threatened existence. More people out of work...yay...uh...wait...lol ( Sorry, but the less wealthy in my area NEED the local library very badly because it provides computers, printers, online access and, yeah, BOOKS and programs that encourage the local kids to read via storytelling and literature games...taught by real humans too! )

The other thing is, you can THROW a book and not worry too much, (so long as it's not a sincere antique). Throwing a book down is like using a good swear word. It adds a dramatic flair to boredom, irritation, bad news..you know...and, I dare you - in fact, I double dare you - to do that with your Kindle ( or your iPad Tobi )

I'll never buy one. But, if any of you tire of yours and wish to give it away, for free....

Really? Wow.

jobernowl

Posted Wed Jun 15th, 2011 12:34pm Post subject: eBook Readers

Another reason to go for an e-reader.

You can play ZORK on the Kindle!