Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 2:55pm Post subject: Email notifications

We (should) now have a functioning email notification system. To take advantage of this:

1. Log into StephenFry.com
  2. Choose the topic you want to track
  3. Click "Add topic to favourites" at the top of the topic

You can see a list of your favourite topics by:

1. Log in to StephenFry.com
  2. From the forum, in the list of links at the top of the right hand sidebar click on "My Favourites" or from other pages in the site click on "My Profile" in the "You are logged in as..." box also at the top of the right hand side and scroll down to "Forum Favourites"

You can remove favourites by visiting the topic which you want to remove from your favourites, and clicking the "Remove topic from favourites" link at the top of the topic.

Note that you will only receive an email notification after the first new post is added, and no more notifications until the next time you visit the topic while logged in. (This is to avoid us bombarding your inbox for the busier threads in this forum.)

Things to check if the notifications aren't working for you:

• Check your profile information, do we have the correct email address for you?
  • Check the "spam" or "junk" folders in your email application, are the messages ending up there? (If they are, it may help to add the email address "noreply@stephenfry.com" to your email address book.)

For those who are familiar with such things, you will see that you also have an RSS feed for your favourite forum topics. You can hook this feed up to a news reader (sometimes called an RSS reader or feed aggregator) to see the latest activity in your favourite topics. Incidentally, you will see that there are individual RSS feeds for all topics as well.

Any problems with RSS feeds for topics, with email notifications, or with adding or removing favourites please let us know in this thread.

Cheers,

Simon

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 4:54pm Post subject: Email notifications

Mr. Watson I want to see you. It works! Just received two notifications.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Julia from Bristol

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 5:02pm Post subject: Email notifications

It works! It works! It works! We did have the technology & the talent!! Brill! Thanks guys & gals!!

I have a cunning plan!

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 8:25pm Post subject: Email notifications

Please ignore, Simon, may have figured out problem. My mistake, will PM you.