Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Sat Oct 25th, 2008 11:51pm Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
Hi everyone.

Woodenelf and myself are very impressed with the vast interest in the endangered species project.

The first thing we need to decide is which organisation we are going to raise for. We have already had 2 suggestions.
Traffic, at http://www.traffic.org/contact/ and WWFs extraorginary gift scheme at http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wwf/extraordinarygifts0708/

We want more suggestions, and then we are going to do a poll, and you will all get to vote on your favourite choice.

Yours WoodenElf and AmberZak

taluta

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 1:27am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
There are so many truly worthwhile charities, this list may become endless.

For example, the following: http://www.gorillas.org/Home or http://www.savetherhino.org/ I am inclined to agree that an organisation which covers the endangered species and environmental issues broadly, such as the one listed for WWF may be a good one, but some people may wish to be specific.

I think the means by which money is to be raised must also be considered.

Choosing an organisation is good, but to what end are you wanting to choose this in the first instance? So that you may approach them before planning anything? So that the means for fundraising may be specific to the cause? If any of these are the case, what are the chances of this being a sustainable venture instead of just a once off, short term, feel good response.

This is simply my rather puny attempt to play devils advocate as I want to try and understand what intent is involved in this and what level of commitment people have in this regard.

Not any single charity will be helped by a short term hand out, their costs are ongoing. I really believe something that can be sustainable would be of far greater value.

Any suggestions on this?

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

taluta

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 2:36am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
Hi there, excuse my daftness, it is late... seems I may have posted this under the original forum where the discussion started, I don't know if I should also post it here, but ... just in case. Here goes nothing.... (will happily delete if this is the wrong place) going on for 3am, perhaps sleep is in order....

Hey loved all your ideas, I posed the suggestion of pooling everyones talent to put into a book of sorts or something. I asked earlier as to what special gifts, talents, skill or knowledge everyone has, as we could easily collect and have something printed that could then be sold for the purposes of funding this endeavour.

Most of us have no money or very little, and I have very strong feelings about trying to do something that is reasonably self sustaining and can generate ongoing income, thus the idea of a book.

If we collected writing, poetry, art, photographs etc. compiled it into an informative and visually appealing book which could be used as a coffee table book or even for purposes informing or educating then this could be put out into the world and the money generated can be provided to any one or any number of charities at any given time.

Charities, particularly envrionmental and preservation ones need ongoing support, once off donations are all very nice, but their expenses are ongoing. A central point or organisation could be used to ensure that monies from this are suitably and acceptably distributed.

What say you?

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 2:59am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
The book idea is nice but the concept of donating to WWF is not to cover their on going costs but to raise enough money to meet one of there extraordinary yearly goals. Like to hire 3 national parks rangers in Africa to help catch poachers.

I think raising money for an organization that has set as specific goal is a nice way to direct the funds to something to specific and have a goal to set.

How we get the funds is just the exciting part.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

taluta

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 8:47am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
The book idea is nice but the concept of donating to WWF is not to cover their on going costs but to raise enough money to meet one of there extraordinary yearly goals. Like to hire 3 national parks rangers in Africa to help catch poachers.

I think raising money for an organization that has set as specific goal is a nice way to direct the funds to something to specific and have a goal to set.

How we get the funds is just the exciting part.

I agree with what you are saying, assisting them to meet a set goal is a nice way to help and I would never dispute that.

What I am asking is do people wish to assist on an ongoing basis or just for this one year? You say the idea is to raise money to meet one of their yearly goals, but surely they have goals every year?

If we are going to do something, anything to assist, it would seem feasible that if energy is going to be expended that we do it in a logical and practical way to ensure that we can truly make a difference.

To be able to do this on an ongoing basis would be nice, if only we can do it in a manner which is self sustaining, if so, then monies could be directed to any one of their annual goals over a number of years.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 9:18am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
There are so many truly worthwhile charities, this list may become endless.

For example, the following: http://www.gorillas.org/Home or http://www.savetherhino.org/ I am inclined to agree that an organisation which covers the endangered species and environmental issues broadly, such as the one listed for WWF may be a good one, but some people may wish to be specific.

I think the means by which money is to be raised must also be considered.

Choosing an organisation is good, but to what end are you wanting to choose this in the first instance? So that you may approach them before planning anything? So that the means for fundraising may be specific to the cause? If any of these are the case, what are the chances of this being a sustainable venture instead of just a once off, short term, feel good response.

This is simply my rather puny attempt to play devils advocate as I want to try and understand what intent is involved in this and what level of commitment people have in this regard.

Not any single charity will be helped by a short term hand out, their costs are ongoing. I really believe something that can be sustainable would be of far greater value.

Any suggestions on this?

One step at a time. We have got a load of ideas for raising money, and more will come, I am sure.

I personally want to try and come up with ideas which will mean ongoing funds as well as something with a lump sum. But we wanted tofind out what everyone wants to support first of all, because tha way we know we are all on the same wavelength.

Also, if people have a name of an organisation to put this too, it helps and encourages people to keep it going. Does that mae sense?

amberzak

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 9:25am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
You know how something like children in need have a day when they get lots of money people lots of people do fundraising, but then the rest of the year they get a steady flow of money thanks to books, merchandise etc. Is this what you are suggesting?

taluta

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 9:31am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas
You know how something like children in need have a day when they get lots of money people lots of people do fundraising, but then the rest of the year they get a steady flow of money thanks to books, merchandise etc. Is this what you are suggesting?

Yes, pretty much.

See, I am fearful that we are all hyped about this and will get something organised and then in 6 months or less, it will taper off.

So if something can be done that can generate an income, it will sustain the contributions, if not at the same level, at least with some consistency.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

taluta

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 9:47am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas

One step at a time. We have got a load of ideas for raising money, and more will come, I am sure.

I personally want to try and come up with ideas which will mean ongoing funds as well as something with a lump sum. But we wanted tofind out what everyone wants to support first of all, because tha way we know we are all on the same wavelength.

Also, if people have a name of an organisation to put this too, it helps and encourages people to keep it going. Does that mae sense?

I hear what you are saying.

To clarify my perspective, there are very few visible organisations in this part of the world and many are fly by night, so for me to put faith or focus in any one particular organisation is not something that would work for me personally, but I understand if it is easier for others to have this to focus on.

I would just like to know that any monies collected are utilised properly and whichever organisation / individual / game farm does this is inconsequential to me as long as it is done.

WWF is obviously a good all rounder and a well known one.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 10:00am Post subject: Endangered Species Charity Ideas

I hear what you are saying.

To clarify my perspective, there are very few visible organisations in this part of the world and many are fly by night, so for me to put faith or focus in any one particular organisation is not something that would work for me personally, but I understand if it is easier for others to have this to focus on.

I would just like to know that any monies collected are utilised properly and whichever organisation / individual / game farm does this is inconsequential to me as long as it is done.

WWF is obviously a good all rounder and a well known one.

I don't want to sway any decision, but WWF is a charity I trust, because all the money raised go to the cause.