Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 7:12pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
How will this be organised when a decision has been made? On another forum I belong to, one of the admins has set up a Just Giving Page and we can donate as and when and leave a message.

ways of funding are discussed here
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386

Once again, I have to politely say, one step at a time guys. One step at a time.

I was thinking, as this is stephenfry.com, maybe we shoul see if we can find out which one (or 2) Stephen fry would want to follow?

The Born Free, David Shepherd and WildAid were all links on Marks homepage. (Mark, for anyone unaware, is Stephen's travelling partner on last Chance To See).

I am thinking, also, that we could support 2 different charities. For example, WildAid (which I am quite fond of) are mainly working on a campaign called 'when the buying stops, the killing can too.' So they are coming from that point of view. Where as some of the others work directly with the animals.

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:31pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
Maybe we should ask for the mods to make a separate sub-forum for these topics, I am obviously still for supporting this in any way I can, the only reason I say this is that there is the original taking action thread, a summary of that thread, another one with a poll, and another one on the same general subject.
I am not against this, as its obviously a very good cause, it just may seem to drown out other topics that fluffettes may be wanting to talk about, especially the shy, newer fluffettes that may be nervous about joining in anyway.

Just an idea, feel free to ignore me

You will NOT be ignored! Your views matter a great deal.

We will take this into consideration. We really want everyone to feel welcome and not take up too much space.

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:42pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
I know this isn't the poll's purpose but I was thinking of having one goal/purpose/charity and then buy one of David Shepherd's paintings. We can give it to Stephen and hopefully spread the word.

Sorry if it's a stupid idea, it was just a thought.

I love this idea.

Thank you.

What I think of it is that it's do-able.

Hey hun,
Just a thought on this and please do not take offense, it is most definitely not intended as such. Your idea is not stupid, it is kind and thoughtful.

My thoughts are:
Stephen doesn't need anything and while this may be a kind gesture and monies for said item would be put towards a good purpose. I fail to see how it may help to get word out about what we are doing?! Please feel free to slap me about the face if I am being an idiot i.t.r.

Surely, our individual efforts being used collectively for a good and common goal or purpose, possibly for a charity that he may even recommend or support, would be a far more intimate and generous gesture than a painting, a print no less, not an original.

PLEASE please do not be offended by this, I REALLY do not wish to offend anyone, it is just my view and you may feel free to slam this too if necessary. *hugs and rushes for cover in case of any flying objects*

Of course I (we) are not offended by your thoughts and ideas.

I know that Stephen probably doesn't need a painting or anything. What I thought of was making people aware that you can buy these paintings/prints and make sure that the money you pay for them are put into charity. It'd be a lovely gesture to Stephen from his fans, kill two flies with one hit.

Please, don't hesitate to critisise or just tell us what you feel. We need your views.

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:55pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
How will this be organised when a decision has been made? On another forum I belong to, one of the admins has set up a Just Giving Page and we can donate as and when and leave a message.

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "decision has been made".

What we wanted was to make this a big issue. We could have made a Giving Page but I don't think that would be enough.

This project is more a way of finding out how to raise money and then do it. We are only on step one yet.

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 9:09pm Post subject: endangered species project poll

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "decision has been made".

What we wanted was to make this a big issue. We could have made a Giving Page but I don't think that would be enough.

This project is more a way of finding out how to raise money and then do it. We are only on step one yet.

And it is about awareness too. Everyone on this site is aware of what is going on to a certain degree because we are all following Stephen Fry doing his doctumentary. But we need to spread the word further out.

Your idea, Alice, is something we can look into. It will be one of many ideas we are looking into and working on.

Which decision are you talking about? The decicion of which one we are supporting?

Can you give me a link to the other forum so I can see what it is?

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 9:27pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
Global People’s Petition for Wildlife

taluta

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 5:52pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
What I am about to say is completely random, but I simply have to share it because is was WONDERFUL!

My 16 year old son saw his first rhinos today, close range, about 10 or 15metres from the road as we were driving back home from East London (South Africa for clarity).

I have NEVER seen rhinos in this area, even though they belong to a game farm, it is so unlikely to see two rhino together in the first instance and in the second instance so close to the road... IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! Took some puny pics with phone camera. It had to be the one day I left the digital camera at home! We are going back tomorrow in the highly unlikely even that they are still in the area, because it is only 36km from where we live. Will take proper camera along in case. In the meantime I shall probably post the camera pics later on Twitter, good or bad, because it was the most wonderful thing to see.... I think it may have been a sign...

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 5:56pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
What I am about to say is completely random, but I simply have to share it because is was WONDERFUL!

My 16 year old son saw his first rhinos today, close range, about 10 or 15metres from the road as we were driving back home from East London (South Africa for clarity).

I have NEVER seen rhinos in this area, even though they belong to a game farm, it is so unlikely to see two rhino together in the first instance and in the second instance so close to the road... IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! Took some puny pics with phone camera. It had to be the one day I left the digital camera at home! We are going back tomorrow in the highly unlikely even that they are still in the area, because it is only 36km from where we live. Will take proper camera along in case. In the meantime I shall probably post the camera pics later on Twitter, good or bad, because it was the most wonderful thing to see.... I think it may have been a sign...

That is amazing. I can't wait to see the pictures.
I am not going to be on twitter tonight, so can you please private message me with the link, pritty please.

taluta

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 6:07pm Post subject: endangered species project poll

That is amazing. I can't wait to see the pictures.
I am not going to be on twitter tonight, so can you please private message me with the link, pritty please.

Will do

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

fryfan20

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 12:09pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
so, that was a difficult choice because I want to help them all.

but I saw that the gorillas haven't had a vote yet and they are such a wonderful and sweet animals that the absolutely have to say and deserve some attention

I am what I am

wooden_elf

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 12:11pm Post subject: endangered species project poll
so, that was a difficult choice because I want to help them all.

but I saw that the gorillas haven't had a vote yet and they are such a wonderful and sweet animals that the absolutely have to say and deserve some attention

I can see what you were thinking. We don't want to leave anyone out. Thank you for voting.