Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 9:09pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Okay. I decided that there should be a thread where we summarise everything we have said etc in a bite-size digestible version. This is mainly for the summary.http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386 this is the thread where the discussions have been happening.

Okay, the idea started with woodenelf wanting to do something to help endangered species. Many others decided they also wanted to help.

As a starting point, people can sign the petition found on the first message of the main thread, which is about tiger poaching.

It was decided that we would need to work out ways to raise both funds and awareness. We decided that, if possible, we would want to try and do something under the banner of stephenfry.com, and I have sent a message to Andrew Sampson, site creator, to find out if that is possible. Waiting for a reply.

Puppaz was the first person to suggest that we could all do fundraising in each of our retrospective countries, and the suggestion was made that we could do all this on one day, like there is an Autistic Day and Jeans for Genes day.

Monochromeprincess suggested that we could also do an online event, so I suggested that there could be a creative competition such as a poetry competition, with the theme being endangered species.

Eternal Student found information about WWFs Extraordinary Gifts scheme, and this seems to be a very popular choice, though a decision has not been made yet. https://secure.worldwildlife.org/ogc/ogc_egHome.cfm

I have asked for a new topic section to be put in the forum for this, and EternalStudent has asked for a user group. We are both waiting to hear.

Monochromeprincess suggested selling merchandise such as hoodies and tshirts. She suggested that there could be an auction for items as well.

Taluta suggested pooling everyones talent to compose a book which could be sold to keep funds coming in. A competition can be incorporated into this.

Amyl_nitrate thinks she might be able to find a storage website where we can upload all work safely for the book if we go ahead with it.

I found a website that donates a certain amount of money to a cause when people shop online. This could be advertised as a lot of people shop online, especially at Christmas. It might be too late for this Christmas, but there is next Christmas. We can set up our own cause on there. http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/?gclid=CNPcoraNxZYCFSAbEAodR2hoxg

So that is the summery so far. Sorry if I missed anything out, and feel free to add anything I have missed out. Please continue to use the other thread for ideas and discussions. This is for summaries so people can catch up easily if being away for a while.

Thanks,

Rebekah

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:31pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
We are still waiting for email back, but I hope everyone is still keen?

taluta

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:58pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Hi there, still keen here in South Africa. Please also be aware that some instances for collecting / fund raising may not work particularly well in certain areas / countries. Just saying this because we have high levels of unemployment and near poverty in many parts out here. When ppl are unemployed, they are effectively on the poverty line, many end up homeless. We do not have government support or funds or housing for ppl out here who do not have work.

Have not been getting email notifications of updates from the forum for some reason, so missed out on a whole bunch!

Will not be around tomorrow, have to take my mom up the coast to East London for her oncology check up. Should be back online later in the day or Thurs.

Great summarising btw amberzak

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 7:36pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
An update on the summery. As you can see, the wonderful Clarebear has given us our own section. Thank you Clarebear.

Clarebear is also going to try and get hold of Andrew Sampson for us.

There is a poll. I would suggest people think carefully about their choices, and all suggests welcome.

Best on luck everyone.

amberzak

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 4:33pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Another update.

Andrew Sampson has informed us that he is going to try and get in touch with WWF to see if there is a way that we can have funds go direct to WWF, while they keep track of where it has come from.

Wooden_Elf and myself are hoping to put together a list of everyone who wants to be involved in this (no matter how much or how little you want to or can do) so if you are still keen, please email us at conservationprojectsf@gmail.com giving your username, real name and location (country will do).

We will continue to do all updates and idea bouncing on here. We are just concerned with protection, and are aware that not everyone wants to share email addresses, names and locations with everyone on the forum.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

michael

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 9:24pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Hi there, still keen here in South Africa. Please also be aware that some instances for collecting / fund raising may not work particularly well in certain areas / countries. Just saying this because we have high levels of unemployment and near poverty in many parts out here. When ppl are unemployed, they are effectively on the poverty line, many end up homeless. We do not have government support or funds or housing for ppl out here who do not have work.

Have not been getting email notifications of updates from the forum for some reason, so missed out on a whole bunch!

Will not be around tomorrow, have to take my mom up the coast to East London for her oncology check up. Should be back online later in the day or Thurs.

Great summarising btw amberzak

Hi Taluta!

(oh..first, i haven't posted on this thread yet, nice to meet all of you!)

definately understand what you're saying about fundraising not being possible in some places. for these situations, could the community find a local goal that is independent of cash? we tend to think of raising cash as the first way to help, but there's a lot of other things a person can do.

every community has different kinds of capital, some is in money, some is other materials, some might be your combined abilities, etc. maybe there is an environmental situation in your community that could be helped with in-kind donated materials, or something that could be changed through everyone committing to take a particular action. i'm not familiar at all with your community, so i'm not sure what to suggest. but if you're kicking any ideas around, i can listen!

that's all very off track from the wwf donations and all i guess...sorry...

i would also suggest to everyone to research and see if there is an endangered species in your own area. who knows, we might be surprised what we find.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TinaL

Posted Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 5:21pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
UPDATE:

everyone who is interested in being creative for our merchandise project http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3538 can upload his ideas on our new Fluffette account on photobucket.com

I think it won't hurt that I put username and password here, or does it?

Username: Fluffettes
Password: explodingbotty

sorry, I know the password is mean but I just find the expression so funny

So, feel free to show us your ideas for our merchandise

btw, the profit we'll hopefully make with this project will also go to the WWF thingy just if you were wondering.

@bertawooster

taluta

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 5:16pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
UPDATE:

everyone who is interested in being creative for our merchandise project http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3538 can upload his ideas on our new Fluffette account on photobucket.com

I think it won't hurt that I put username and password here, or does it?

Username: Fluffettes
Password: explodingbotty

sorry, I know the password is mean but I just find the expression so funny

So, feel free to show us your ideas for our merchandise

btw, the profit we'll hopefully make with this project will also go to the WWF thingy just if you were wondering.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Love that password!

Poor Stephen, I do hope he is over that hideous affliction! As importantly, I hope too that the Malagasy jungle has not been inextricably altered by his ... errhm... input or should that be output?

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 2:26pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Is there any way of making an info film/commercial about the charity? I could write Alan Davies and ask him if he'd be interested.

Is anyone here interested in that?

RobertBruce

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 7:05pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary
Is there any way of making an info film/commercial about the charity? I could write Alan Davies and ask him if he'd be interested.

If you don't get anywhere let me know. I can ask someone I know who is in the movie business.

He can only say yes. Or no. The we move on to the next person who someone will know! .

wooden_elf

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 7:07pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary

If you don't get anywhere let me know. I can ask someone I know who is in the movie business.

He can only say yes. Or no. The we move on to the next person who someone will know! .

Wow!! That's great!! I promise I'll let you know.

Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

RobertBruce

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 7:29pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary

Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

Ha en bra kväll

wooden_elf

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 8:06pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary

Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

Ha en bra kväll

Tack detsamma!

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 8:33pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary

Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

Ha en bra kväll

Tack detsamma!

No fair, I can't understand you. what you saying. X-D

wooden_elf

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 8:37pm Post subject: Endangered Species thread summary

Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

Ha en bra kväll

Tack detsamma!

No fair, I can't understand you. what you saying. X-D

Hehe, we are just saying "thank you very much" "have a nice evening" and "the same to you"