Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 6:10pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
A podcast, huzzah!

Time for the first thread in this shiny new place

This is what I wrote in the other thread in 'General Musings':
Poor Stephen It must have been pure agony to run about with an instable spiral fracture for over a week. I still can't believe they had to remove the plaster cast for security reasons before he could fly to Miami. And it's also disturbing that the doctors there sent him away with a fracture like that, saying it would heal all by itself. With tissue injured like that he could easily have suffered a thrombosis during one of the flights, let alone the pain. What a story to tell! And I know how he must feel. There are certainly worse things than broken arms, but events like this can completely throw you off the track, especially when your life is as meticulously planned as his. But it's sad that his worst concern right now is not his arm but his letting other people down.

Panja

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 6:17pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
I was cringing as he was talking about his whole ordeal, I can't imagine the pain he must have gone through. And I can't believe it took so long for someone to notice the severity of the break! Poor Stephen, I hope he's feeling better soon!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 6:34pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Hey can I be lazy and just copy and paste my post from the other thread too? I made several comments, here's my last one:

It makes me feel sad that despite all the pain he's going through he's still worried about letting other people down. If he has to take time off it'll put so many projects out of whack. He does so much. I wouldn't want to be the person left re-organising all that. The whole story about the way he was sent round everywhere, having his cast removed, his x-rays lost, the radial nerve being in danger of snapping all that time and no one saying is alarming to hear. Remembering his description of how he broke his arm is making me wince now just thinking about it.

Assuming direct control...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 7:22pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
:'( :'( :'(
Why canĀ“t brave Stephen worry about himself - just this once? Please...

"What I suffered then, and still suffer, is not for pen to write or paper to record. " (Oscar Wilde, De Profundis)

... hence Stephen regales us with a podcast, so sweet and at the same time so saddening ...

lef

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 7:28pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Poor Stephen :'( although his mentioning a third series of Kingdom cheered me up a bit.

masquerade

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 8:29pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Awww I feel so sorry for him! I know he said he didn't want sympathy but surely nobody could feel complete nonchalance towards him when he describes it like that? I just want to give him a big hug!

Poor Stephen :'( although his mentioning a third series of Kingdom cheered me up a bit.

Ditto, lef.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 8:33pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Just found this:
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/fry%2.....rm_1059918

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 8:36pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Well at least he got the next leg of his America trip done. A friend of a friend had dinner with him two nights ago (I think it was two nights ago) in Michigan.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 8:41pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
I hope the operation goes well for him and he doesn't spend too much time worrying about disappointing people. I'm sure nobody wants him to push himself to get through his busy schedule when he needs to be recovering.

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 9:09pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Le transcript.

For the listening impaired.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 9:12pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Well at least he got the next leg of his America trip done. A friend of a friend had dinner with him two nights ago (I think it was two nights ago) in Michigan.

I heard about that.

I'm not jealous though.

Nope.

NOT

AT

ALL

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 9:18pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm

I heard about that.

I'm not jealous though.

Nope.

NOT

AT

ALL

Teehee! Someday you'll have a chance too Fryphile!

emilY

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 10:38pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Aww, well that was a bit of a depressing listen, yet one for which everyone is grateful for, bless 'im!;-)

Definitely a decidedly cheesed off Stephen and rightly so... but I hope his cheerfulness has returned by now!

Anyone else think his voice sounded reaaally deep? I actually started adjusting the bass levels thinking it was just my sound system! X-D

JSKanga84

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 11:22pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
Poor dear.
While he was talking about how he wanted and needed to keep working, not throw the schedule off, etc, I wanted to tell him that it's OK to take time off!! It really is. I used to not think so, and I'd go to work with a fever, hacking mucus, dizzy, with pink eye-- I was a real trouper. But now, I realize that it really is OK to just stop everything, derail the train, and get well. Then you can go back to whatever busy thing you were doing before.

moochy

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Episode 1, Broken Arm
It was so lovely to hear his voice. It's much more personal than a blog.
Its horrible hearing about the accident tho. It must be horrible Stephen. Don't be too down on yourself. It's only a broken arm and it'll heal but it must be very painful for a bit.
I just wanted to reach out and hug my computer as I was listening to it earlier on. Just his way of talking just touches my very soul....

:'(