Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

spiralthreads

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 12:54am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
AxmxZ - sorry, I have to correct you on one tiny point: Abba were not the only group around during Stephen Fry's teenage years - they came pretty late on. There was plenty of primal rhythm at the time (I'm around the same age and was dancing several nights every week, so I do remember). It was different, but powerful and our mums and dads (especially the dads) managed to rant about the "bloody noise" of our favourite bands just like todays generation of parents.

I do empathise with Mr Fry about his loathing of dancing. I feel the same about singing. Hate it, hate it when someone asks me to join in

Help the Rage group raise £100,000 for Shelter by pledging £2 - here or donate direct here

BitchExtraordinaire

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 2:25pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Behold the beauty!

Too cute!

I completely agree with Stephen. I hate dancing - always have - and I would never dance in front of people if my life depended on it.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 5:03pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
AxmxZ - sorry, I have to correct you on one tiny point: Abba were not the only group around during Stephen Fry's teenage years - they came pretty late on. There was plenty of primal rhythm at the time (I'm around the same age and was dancing several nights every week, so I do remember). It was different, but powerful and our mums and dads (especially the dads) managed to rant about the "bloody noise" of our favourite bands just like todays generation of parents.

I do empathise with Mr Fry about his loathing of dancing. I feel the same about singing. Hate it, hate it when someone asks me to join in

Hey, there was plenty of dance music in every age to render parents grumbling - waltz comes to mind - but there was nothing like techno before techno came around, where the beat subverts any melody.

spiralthreads

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 11:10pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
You think?

Help the Rage group raise £100,000 for Shelter by pledging £2 - here or donate direct here

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 1:32am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Pretty much my whole point, really... unless one counts world music, and that doesn't get much disco play.

spiralthreads

Posted Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 6:40pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Hmmm well I take your point about techno subverting the melody, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes primal rhythmic music. I'll continue happy in my little bubble.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 8:47pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
If we're thinking about the *really* primal dance circles, voice and whistling might also do the function of drums, but I don't think they've been used that way in any kind of dance music...I'm not sure what that'll sound like. Oddly enough, choral music comes to mind, only done at a very sped-up pace.

Russian folk singing sometimes does an interesting thing where it tends to start off slow and then speed up until it's going really, really fast. Parrallel to the singing, which is usually group, there are these spontaneous whoops and hoots and screeches by some of the women from the group, or elaborate whistles from the men.

I've been wondering for a while if anyone's tried yet to remaster fast-paced folk singing from around the world into techno. I bet it'd sound awesome.

spiralthreads

Posted Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 8:57pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
It has possibilities - couldn't you try?

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 9:08pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
The only thing I know about music is how to push the "play" button.

spiralthreads

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 8:18pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Doesn't that perfectly qualify you for creating techno music????????

Sorry, couldn't resist X-D

Generally I like music played live. Not fussy what genre, so long as the creator is there in front of me. When my children were growing up they had lots of musical friends who would bring guitars etc round and flood our living room with melody, sometimes not so melodic as they began to get keen on thrash, death metal and other cheery styles. Fun fun fun!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 7:51am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Nowt wrong with a bit of thrash and death metal. I'd rather see a band like that than go watch a bloke sat behind a laptop in the middle of a stage. That's just no fun and quite boring. I saw a few acts like that at an EBM festival once. May as well have just gone to a club.

Assuming direct control...

spiralthreads

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 3:53pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Nothing wrong with any style of music per se, so long as it's played reasonably well. We tended to refer to Thrash as wardrobes-falling-down-the-stairs music and Death Metal as I'm-so-angry-I-want-to-kill-something.

Computer generated has loads of scope for being entertaining - but the performers have to be interesting and have to make the effort to connect with their audience. If they don't, there really is not point in being there.

Antonia

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 10:34pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
There is patently nothing wrong with dancing. This podgram was incredibly overblown and rather GOM-ish (Grumpy Old Man!) and I didn't enjoy it as much as I like the rest of lovely Mr Fry's bl-thingies. I often feel self-conscious when I dance, but I think that this must be a cultural construct. What I would love to see is people in Britain dancing like the African children one sees on television almost totally free from self-consciousness, smiling, singing and dancing. I wish we were like that! But we're not, and I think it must therefore have something to do with the weather and the trains (at the risk of sounding GOM-ish myself!)

Gdjica

Posted Thu Mar 27th, 2008 4:27pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm gonna write a little letter,
Gonna mail it to my local DJ.
Its a rockin' rhythm record
I want my jockey to play.
Roll over Beethoven, I gotta hear it again today.

You know, my temperatures risin'
And the jukebox blows a fuse.
My hearts beatin' rhythm
And my soul keeps on singin' the blues.
Roll over Beethoven and tell Tschaikowsky the news.

I got the rockin' pneumonia,
I need a shot of rhythm and blues.
I think I'm rollin' arthritis
Sittin' down by the rhythm review.
Roll over Beethoven rockin' in two by two.

Well, if you feel you like it
Go get your lover, then reel and rock it.
Roll it over and move on up just
A trifle further and reel and rock it,
Roll it over,
Roll over Beethoven rockin' in two by two.

Well, early in the mornin' I'm givin' you a warnin'
Don't you step on my blue suede shoes.
Hey diddle diddle, I am playin' my fiddle,
Ain't got nothin' to lose.
Roll over Beethoven and tell Tschaikowsky the news.

You know she wiggles like a glow worm,
Dance like a spinnin' top.
She got a crazy partner,
Oughta see 'em reel and rock.
Long as she got a dime the music will never stop.

Roll over Beethoven,
Roll over Beethoven,
Roll over Beethoven,
Roll over Beethoven,
Roll over Beethoven and dig these rhythm and blues.

Norfolk Boy

Posted Tue Apr 1st, 2008 7:26pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I have just downloaded both Podcasts and they are so very funny, witty and easy to listen too. More to the point Stephen is so right about all his topics. His views seem personal yet he sounds like he is talking on behalf of many, if that makes sense. I am only 26 years old and totally agree. I am getting married and I am dreading the dancing ritual I am being subjected to!!
Are there any other podcasts Stephen has done?
Any help would be grateful. X-D
Thanks in advance.