Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

reddy-set-go

Posted Sun Apr 6th, 2008 8:25am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Hello all, thought I'd just mosey on over here from QI, which is very quiet at the moment.
Bought my first iPod a week ago (not for lack of previous MP3 players though) and one of the first things I downloaded from iTunes were Mr Fry's podcasts. We'd already seen the information about his broken arm in QI *shudders* but the podcasts have been very interesting. I listened to the podcasts last night as I was going to sleep.... He is certainly not boring, but I find his voice very soothing.

Spikeoli

Posted Mon Apr 21st, 2008 2:43pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I just want to say i totally agree with the sentiments of this podcast

I'm 20 years old, from essex and i hate nothing more than dancing, I've only ever been to one nightclub and i can honestly say i've enjoyed myself more at a funeral

its gotten to the point that when at weddings or family events when im forced to dance by peers my girlfriend will actually tell them to leave me alone as my dancing is horrific to behold

love the podcasts

Zapateado

Posted Mon May 12th, 2008 7:45am Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thaaaaaaaank you Mr.F.

Dancing is a satanic activity and everyone who does it should be shot. OK, a tad harsh but my life has been afftected severely by a dancing incident

It was 1978. I was 12. Really liked this girl at school. Joanne was her name. We kind of fell in 'puppy love'. She asked me to the school disco. I went. So later that evening, at the disco, her friend came over and said 'Joanne wants a slow dance with you'. Sheeeyit I thought. I have never danced before so what do I do?

Joanne was waiting. I was cowering - but was persuaded to get up and....I think the term is 'smooch'.

First of all, I didn't know where to put my hands. So I went for the waist. Joanne didn't go for that so I went for the shoulders. Then I had to think about what my feet were doing. Joanne was moving very smoothly - she'd done it before hadn't she the bugger. I didn't realize you had to move the feet. But then I also saw others were making hip movements too. My god, three things to concentrate on - my coordination has never been good. So I moved my hips in an exaggerated fashion. Steve Redgrave probably made a similar movement whilst rowing. I moved my feet, not in smooth, graceful steps, but in 2 feet wide plods. I couldn't get everything flowing together. The feet were bad - it was like having a bag of cement attached to each foot. But then I was also clinging onto Joanne's shoulders for dear life. I have done something similar on some of the rides at Alton Towers. 'Not so tight' she said but I was in too much of a daze to take any notice. Then I noticed some of the other couples; the males were resting their heads on their partners shoulders, kind of nestled in the neck. So I went for this new move but by now Joanne was getting annoyed. 'Don't do that it's not nice'. Perhaps the stress of the situation had caused me to excessively salivate. And I think I did have a bout of hayfever too. So I removed my nestled head. She started to cry. I marched/stomped her round even faster as I became more frantic at not delivering the goods.

I saw and felt every ounce of puppy love drain away to be replaced by contempt and loathing. We tripped. I said sorry. 'Just stop' she said. The record ended and the nightmare was over. So too was any hope of a continued romance with Joanne. People were laughing and then to round off a wonderful evening, my friend Simon danced with Joanne. The b*****d. Her friend came over at the end of the evening and told me that Joanne had packed me in. Unfortunately, that was in the days before I could have uttered 'whateeever'. Instead, I said meekly - 'why?'.

I didn't sleep for days. My parents thought I was getting bullied. Nooo, much worse. I can't frigging dance! But it wasn't just getting packed in that upset me and destroyed my confidence. It was the shame of looking a prat. And then going into school the next day and having everyone pointing and laughing at me. Joanne just ignored me and I never spoke to her again! Simply because I was too embarrassed to. I have also never danced again either.

It was said afterwards that I 'dragged' Joanne round the dance floor as if she was a Zimmer frame whose wheels had ceased up. Poor girl.

I would have beaten her at chess though, and let's see how she would have done with a cricket bat in her graceful, well coordinated hands! So there.

Ahhh - so good to get that off my chest after all these years. It is comforting to know others are as crap as me.

worseit

Posted Thu Jun 19th, 2008 5:08pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I throughly enjoyed this episode 2 - Bored of the Dance. I was just recently listening to another podcast and heard a funny bit about a new dance. A dance that even Stephen Fry would not mind doing alone in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyhEfxMZ9RI&feature=related

Ricardo

Posted Thu Jul 3rd, 2008 2:33pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Whilst appreciating the pointlessness of bopping on the spot, feeling daft in a cowboy hat and not wishing to conform to the set standards of Ballroom dancing I have been enjoying music and dance and expressing myself in a dance called Ceroc.

One of the things I love is to appreciate the music and being able to express the different parts of the music with this free partner dance.

Mr Fry if you ever read this (and I doubt you ever will) then do try to dance Ceroc and even you I believe will love it. I started with two left feet as well. X-D

exodia2370

Posted Fri Jul 25th, 2008 7:18pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
In case anyone is interested: the name for the fear of dancing, or fear of choreography, is chorophobia.
I don't have much affinity for dancing either, even though my mom forced me to attend dance lessons for several years when I was a kid. My older brother, on the other hand, comes from the generation that really loved the Moonwalk and other popular moves from the 80s and early 90s. I know he can still do those moves, too. Oy...

gcjay

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 7:34pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
I'm new here and love reading Stephen's blogs...but did he HAVE to tell those of us previously ignorant of the fact that there is a song "Lord of the Dance?" And share the lyrics? Of course I couldn't agree with him more about dancing, the mere notion...I shudder visibly...and now a vision of that tan guy Michael--is it Flattery?--in tights...oh dear.

highwaykind

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 10:37pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
Thank Goodness!!!
(and I registered just to be able to exclaim the above publicly.)
Finally someone who loathes dancing as much as I do.

I'm athletic (several sports), I'm musical (piano/guitar).
But somehow if the two get combined something goes seriously wrong, and I'm the uncoordinated marionette with the grumpy look NOT enjoying herself at all.
My little sister got ALL the dance genes. I got none.

I gave up on the whole thing after 2 lousy miserable attempts.
Severely disliked the hopping/wobbling/shuffling around in a hot smoke-filled crammed disco. And I hate the music they play in clubs about as much as the dancing itself.

Why should one do something one hates this much, just because it's more socially acceptable.

I. Do. Not. Dance. Not now, not ever.

(The only thing I can somewhat dance to - when I am alone at home in the dark with the curtains closed and no mirrors in sight, is something bluesy. Spann's Boogie somehow works great for me, but it's still a lot more 'moving on the beat' than it is dancing).

poeticallyblind

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 4:34pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
It's like the final closet, not enjoying dancing...I am fortunate to work with youth who are very "hippity hoppity" and they are very patient with my complete lack of understanding of their music...interestingly, once one removes the B's and H's from the lyrics, there is a valid message in lots of the lyrics...however, the minute the music is added, I LOSE MY MIND and want to leave the room.

Bless them, they try so hard to make it accessible for me, and they allow me to make things like Mozart, Beethoven and Puccini available to them!

I love listening to Stephen being Stephen...it sounds almost confessional...forgive me father, but I can't dance, and I really can't be arsed to learn if it's all the same to you!

charles

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 5:18pm Post subject: Episode 2 - BORED OF THE DANCE
It would appear that Mr Stephen Fry has successfully misled a large number with the outrageous suggestion that he is incapable of dancing. Those who have followed his career over the years will not be fooled however!

Observe for yourself the evidence in the form of Mr Fry leading his internationally-successful dance troupe back in 1990:
[/img]