Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 9:44am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
I found this video upsetting too. :'( I can't believe there are still people on this planet who put money, profit and greed before life. It's sick. Sadly I can. Some people are small minded, petty, obsessed with wealth, judgmental (!), and happy to kill humans let alone animals. Some are just trying to feed their families - as Stephen said you have to blame the buyers.

That would be me.

Puppaz

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:04pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
"Hello giraffe!"

But yes, otherwise a quite melancholy video, but thanks go to Stephen for sharing. I was already in a pissed off mood today on hearing robert mugabe's police (that man doesn't deserve his name being capitalised) stealing aid destined for starving children.

Sometimes I think I'm just out of place and don't fit, because all the world around me is so twisted and appears so wrong, then I find people like all of you, and realise that maybe I'm not totally alone at all, and should rather try to change the world maybe, instead of run away from it.

Maybe we should create a Stephen Fry action group or something. We could be like his Charlie's Angels and follow him round fighting injustice and crime whilst wearing tweed. Well maybe not but you get the idea.. I feel like we should do something...

taluta

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:30pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
"Hello giraffe!"

But yes, otherwise a quite melancholy video, but thanks go to Stephen for sharing. I was already in a pissed off mood today on hearing robert mugabe's police (that man doesn't deserve his name being capitalised) stealing aid destined for starving children.

Sometimes I think I'm just out of place and don't fit, because all the world around me is so twisted and appears so wrong, then I find people like all of you, and realise that maybe I'm not totally alone at all, and should rather try to change the world maybe, instead of run away from it.

Maybe we should create a Stephen Fry action group or something. We could be like his Charlie's Angels and follow him round fighting injustice and crime whilst wearing tweed. Well maybe not but you get the idea.. I feel like we should do something...

Pretty much yes on all of the above (and giraffes are gorgeous!)
Changing the world often seems an impossible task, but people have done it, we tend to undervalue and underestimate ourselves, but we really are no different from anyone else who has implemented / caused change.

Funny thing is, a bit earlier I was thinking that we should all join forces and do something to make a difference. I have some ideas up my sleeve, it is in the implementing of them that I fall a bit short!

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

Veg Chick

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:36pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Have just watched the film, and read you comments. Yes it is despicable what is being done to these animals. However I was fortunate for many years to be involved in breeding programmes ensuring that many of the rare disappearing species will continue for many more generations. Whilst poaching is a contributing factor globally it is the destruction of habitats that is causing a greater problem. While it is possible to breed many of the beautiful creatures they are destined to remain in captivity if there is no where to release them to.

I also believe in not causing suffering to any creature so - Free Rang Is Fairer

I am nothing

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 1:00pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
"Hello giraffe!"

You are so not alone! And you know, I was thinking exactly the same when I went to bed last night, we should create an action group or something. I am so with you!!

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 1:03pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Have just watched the film, and read you comments. Yes it is despicable what is being done to these animals. However I was fortunate for many years to be involved in breeding programmes ensuring that many of the rare disappearing species will continue for many more generations. Whilst poaching is a contributing factor globally it is the destruction of habitats that is causing a greater problem. While it is possible to breed many of the beautiful creatures they are destined to remain in captivity if there is no where to release them to.

I also believe in not causing suffering to any creature so - Free Rang Is Fairer

I see what you mean.

taluta

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 1:21pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Whilst poaching is a contributing factor globally it is the destruction of habitats that is causing a greater problem. While it is possible to breed many of the beautiful creatures they are destined to remain in captivity if there is no where to release them to.

You are of course quite right about this. It is particularly tragic for creatures such as the Panda and Gorilla who really only live in very specific areas. Elephant and Rhino are far hardier and more adaptable, but nevertheless, to see them where they should be would be so much better than in a zoo.

"So what are we going to do tomorrow night Brain?" X-D

Aces for being involved in a breeding program, that really must have been amazing! I know that in my capacity as a resident of this planet I would dearly love to do something positive and good before I leave.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 2:35pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
"Hello giraffe!"

You are so not alone! And you know, I was thinking exactly the same when I went to bed last night, we should create an action group or something. I am so with you!!

I 3rd or possibly 4th that!! Would love to actually DO something about it rather than sit and get upset and then not do anything at all. Even if it was only small its still better than nothing

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 3:10pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
"Hello giraffe!"

I 3rd or possibly 4th that!! Would love to actually DO something about it rather than sit and get upset and then not do anything at all. Even if it was only small its still better than nothing

We'll see. We should organise something. *ponders*

Soph

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 4:31pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
I hadn't seen the video on the site until now, it's terribly sad, seeing the horns makes you realise the pain and distress those animals must of went through. Although, I already know what goes on and I've reserched this, animal lover and vegertarian, it makes you want to do more and never fails to shock you to tears.

Photobucket

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 5:02pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Whilst poaching is a contributing factor globally it is the destruction of habitats that is causing a greater problem. While it is possible to breed many of the beautiful creatures they are destined to remain in captivity if there is no where to release them to.

You are of course quite right about this. It is particularly tragic for creatures such as the Panda and Gorilla who really only live in very specific areas. Elephant and Rhino are far hardier and more adaptable, but nevertheless, to see them where they should be would be so much better than in a zoo.

"So what are we going to do tomorrow night Brain?" X-D

Aces for being involved in a breeding program, that really must have been amazing! I know that in my capacity as a resident of this planet I would dearly love to do something positive and good before I leave.

It's very true habitat is a big thing. Deforestation for cattle ranches particularly in the Amazon is a worry. But what's also alarming me is how even in the UK we're guilty of it with hedgerows being destroyed all around the country so species like hedgehogs are losing their homes and disappearing.

Assuming direct control...

Puppaz

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 9:14pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
I love hedgehogs

taluta

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:32pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

OK, so if we are even remotely serious about this, what say we start by considering, as individuals, what it is that we have which could somehow be useful. What talent / skill / experience / knowledge or plain uniqueness do you possess? Let us pool these skills and consider what possible action we could take to do something that will make a difference!

I strongly discourage pitch forks and flaming torches, very little has ever been achieved by that sort of action

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:36pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

OK, so if we are even remotely serious about this, what say we start by considering, as individuals, what it is that we have which could somehow be useful. What talent / skill / experience / knowledge or plain uniqueness do you possess? Let us pool these skills and consider what possible action we could take to do something that will make a difference!

I strongly discourage pitch forks and flaming torches, very little has ever been achieved by that sort of action

amberzak and I are trying to organise something. We'd be more than happy if you would like to join us.

taluta

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:41pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

amberzak and I are trying to organise something. We'd be more than happy if you would like to join us.

Would love to, what do you have so far?

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare