Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Veg Chick

Posted Sat Oct 25th, 2008 2:12am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Are you guys thinking local or global, animal or environment?

Being involved in breeding programmes was great, I got to interact with some very rare species up close, and see some big success stories in animal breeding. (sorry AN was trying to put in a quote so this post made more sense but it is late and I can't seem to get it too work :-// ) It is unfortunate that I am no longer involved in that capacity.

It depends in what way you want to help, because little things make a huge difference. I am a bit of a chicken activist (bet you couldn't guess that) so I will start there. I disagree with intensive farming practices in this country, it results in the unnecessary suffering of an animal, by modifying the way you purchase your food you can make a huge difference, ie free range eggs means a chicken gets to live and behave in it's natural way and this vastly improves there quality of life. I'm very big on chickens as I have three of my own and they are fantastic creatures that are really underrated.

I am particularly big on animals so on a local basis I have re homed a number of more unusual critters that are normally viewed as undesirable, and would struggle to be re homed. My current project is badgering my husband insistently to agree to re home a dog (or three!)

From the save the endangered species perspective, support charities in the UK (including zoo's whatever you may think of them if it weren't for zoo's firstly we wouldn't know about these animals and secondly a lot of the species would no longer be here without them). And support for these groups can vary depending on who you are dealing with, the obvious is financial but also a lot will take volunteers. Also whilst travelling abroad if you see tourist attractions that you feel are unethical, don't give them your money this merely perpetuates the problem.

As for global politics I have no idea I stick with the animals they are less complicated!!!!

Hope the info is useful. And yes I am a veggie!!

I am nothing

TinaL

Posted Mon Oct 27th, 2008 8:44pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

amberzak and I are trying to organise something. We'd be more than happy if you would like to join us.

I want to join, too, if it's okay
what are you planning?

I always think that we should feel responsible for animals and take care of them when it's necessary but too many people think they must take advantage of their "power" over animals instead of using it positively...

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 4:56am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
TinaL there are some activist topics under general musings

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:06am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Are you guys thinking local or global, animal or environment?

Being involved in breeding programmes was great, I got to interact with some very rare species up close, and see some big success stories in animal breeding. (sorry AN was trying to put in a quote so this post made more sense but it is late and I can't seem to get it too work :-// ) It is unfortunate that I am no longer involved in that capacity.

It depends in what way you want to help, because little things make a huge difference. I am a bit of a chicken activist (bet you couldn't guess that) so I will start there. I disagree with intensive farming practices in this country, it results in the unnecessary suffering of an animal, by modifying the way you purchase your food you can make a huge difference, ie free range eggs means a chicken gets to live and behave in it's natural way and this vastly improves there quality of life. I'm very big on chickens as I have three of my own and they are fantastic creatures that are really underrated.

I am particularly big on animals so on a local basis I have re homed a number of more unusual critters that are normally viewed as undesirable, and would struggle to be re homed. My current project is badgering my husband insistently to agree to re home a dog (or three!)

From the save the endangered species perspective, support charities in the UK (including zoo's whatever you may think of them if it weren't for zoo's firstly we wouldn't know about these animals and secondly a lot of the species would no longer be here without them). And support for these groups can vary depending on who you are dealing with, the obvious is financial but also a lot will take volunteers. Also whilst travelling abroad if you see tourist attractions that you feel are unethical, don't give them your money this merely perpetuates the problem.

As for global politics I have no idea I stick with the animals they are less complicated!!!!

Hope the info is useful. And yes I am a veggie!!

We are trying to find ways to help. Maybe you would like to help? (You may have already read this thread.

This is the thread where we are having

And this is the thread that has summarised everything discussed so far http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3447

Looking forward to your input

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:09am Post subject: episode 2: on the site

amberzak and I are trying to organise something. We'd be more than happy if you would like to join us.

I want to join, too, if it's okay
what are you planning?

I always think that we should feel responsible for animals and take care of them when it's necessary but too many people think they must take advantage of their "power" over animals instead of using it positively...

http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3447
This is the summary thread, which summarises everything we have said so far, so you don't have to go scrolling through.

This is the discussions thread, where we are posting ideas etc.http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386

Looking forward to seeing you over there

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:10am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Sorry. Let me try that last one again
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386

TinaL

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:53am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
thank you

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:22pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Have you guys seen this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7693816.stm

a legal ivory sale is about to start.

That would be me.

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:23pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

They are NUTS!!! *want to shake some guys really badly*

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:25pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

ps
Thank you very much for linking this!!

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:56pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
If you read the article, the sales of the Ivory are to raise funds for elephant conservation's. Does anyone else not find this ironic?

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 1:01pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
If you read the article, the sales of the Ivory are to raise funds for elephant conservation's. Does anyone else not find this ironic?

Yes! As WE know there are other ways to do that. ALL ivories should be banned. None should exist on the market.

TinaL

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 5:00pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site

thank you for sharing...

Shine

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 3:22am Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Just wanted to point out that tusks on their own are not bad. It is how they are gained.
Tusks and horns are wonderful and I could quite do with one or two myself in fact.
I am sure they would be handy when standing in queues and such like.
Tusks and horns are wonderful!
People have a long history of using them, but in days gone by they were gathered from where the animal died naturally on the plains or hunted with reverence and all of the animal was used and gratefulness given to the elephant/rhino spirits.

Now days it is mostly merciless, unsustainable and wretchedly wasteful.

Oh, and on the topic of hedgehogs... believe me when I say they are alive and well adding to the colonial destruction of the native flora and fauna where I live.

Everything is readily available.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 11:50pm Post subject: episode 2: on the site
Came across an artist on my art site who had painted a picture of Africa's big five on an odd looking piece of canvas and when I opened the thumbnail for a description on her site *she's like 18* I found it was an African Elephants ear. She said that elephants feed tribes for months and they are not endangered so shut up to all spammers.

Oh if only the elephants and whales were killed by the native tribes...there wouldn't be an issues then. Stupid poachers.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P