Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 12:07am Post subject: Episode 3
Anyone else get disappointed when he starts the wrap-up speech at the end of each episode? I always say out loud "Oh, no, it's over!"

The ice cracking was great. "That....was a bit worrisome."

The comments on the way to the meditation center had me rolling. That place could possibly my mother's dream vacation. She's a bit of a new aged spiritualist, if you will, which can make me cringe at times. I have to remind myself that it's her life and it makes her happy and it doesn't matter how totally preposterous I find it to be. Stephen's little giggle and smile after he says "This place is turning me into a...babbling merchant of drivel" was so adorable.

Also adorable? The fact that even sheep girly bits make Stephen flustered and uncomfortable. X-D

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 1:13am Post subject: Episode 3
I loved how he seems to remain come with the ice cracking.

Mares

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 1:24am Post subject: Episode 3
I know that everyone's always asking questions about the music but I have one now. Does anybody know the music that plays over the closing credits of episode 3? It could just be an original piece written for the series but either way it was quite beautiful, really reminds me of the fantastic music in the Coen Brothers' "Fargo." I hope it wasn't original since that makes it easier to get my hands on.

Speaking of music, I do adore that song "ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. My favorite song of pure indignation when I was a teenager.

I particularly enjoyed this episode because it's the first time Mr. Fry has visited an area of the country I've never been to: the Midwest. I loved when Morgan Freeman told Stephen he was sounding like Barack obama, brought him down from his pleonastic heights. I mean I love Stephen's little speeches but there's a time and a place, and sitting on a sofa outside a bar is a time for simple and succinct conversation.

Great program!

oh, and speaking of obama. Let's get out and vote next week my fellow Americans here in the forum!!

Oh, I enjoyed the interplay between Fry and Freeman, I'd say the conversation was more deep than anything else. It reflected Fry's thoughts and impressions about the realities, past and present in the town, and region.. especially given the focus on the poverty that is entrenched in the region, and honestly in many places in the US.

Mares

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 1:26am Post subject: Episode 3
Anyone else get disappointed when he starts the wrap-up speech at the end of each episode? I always say out loud "Oh, no, it's over!"

The ice cracking was great. "That....was a bit worrisome."

The comments on the way to the meditation center had me rolling. That place could possibly my mother's dream vacation. She's a bit of a new aged spiritualist, if you will, which can make me cringe at times. I have to remind myself that it's her life and it makes her happy and it doesn't matter how totally preposterous I find it to be. Stephen's little giggle and smile after he says "This place is turning me into a...babbling merchant of drivel" was so adorable.

Also adorable? The fact that even sheep girly bits make Stephen flustered and uncomfortable. X-D

Didn't you just love the expression on his face, during the test he had at the TM facility, when he looks directly into the camera, when the man who was explaining the results to him looks away?

Mares

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 1:40am Post subject: Episode 3
oh, and speaking of obama. Let's get out and vote next week my fellow Americans here in the forum!!

And when you do, vote for all those in Europe and the rest of the world, that are screaming out for Barack Obama, and seeing the presidential election as almost as easy to judge and farcical as a Disney film with good on one side, and the decrepid, evil hearted villain with his she-devil on the other.

I have done my part, almost wish I could move back to Pennsylvania to vote there instead of Calif. where he is going to win easily. I know some European's I have spoken to seem a little confused on why the electorial college thing exists. But it goes back to the point of the show, America is like 50 small countries, each distinct and unique, with their own rules (many laws are different in each one) and culture. And therefore the president has to win a majority in 50 separate elections. I don't understand the thinking of the ones in the middle but I don't see myself living there either. Need oceans close by.......

I sent my absentee ballot in today, it arrived later than I thought it would.

BTW, the people in the middle of the country aren't so easily defined. The first state that voted for Obama was Iowa, not on either coasts. Pretty much one of the whitest states in the country. The people of the midwest think, and care passionately about the issues.

When the far left were rabbiting on about how unfair it was that Iowa and New Hampshire go first in the primaries, I had to laugh. I only wish that voters in other states, especially those on the east and west coasts, took the electoral process as seriously as those voters in Iowa and New Hampshire.. where researching the issues and the candidates, daring to ask hard questions and expecting ANSWERS, is still a valued and respected tradition. It sure beats being spoon fed babble at the Daily Kos, from Arianna's HuffPo, and the neo-Nazi's at Firedoglake.

Seriously, if we were correct when we chastised republican voters for not connecting the dots on the right wing's records, why should we wear blinders when it comes to lousy candidates who happen to be democrats?

Anywho.. I voted for Obama, but I'd like to ask those of you in the UK and in Europe to vote out your own lousy leaders, like Gordon Brown, and please not to elect another Tony Blair, or Angela Merkel, or Sarkozy, who is as bad as the Shrub. My heart was in my throat in concern about how these men are denying so many of you a vote on the Lisbon Treaty, and it's equally in my throat with these types attempting to push for back door deals they've made down our throats over here at some sham conference at Bretton Woods.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 2:20pm Post subject: Episode 3
Anyone know, start to finish, how long they spent on filming it all?

I remember him leaving for America in October 2007 and he was certainly finished by May to do QI. So about seven on and off months, I'd say.

LMAO @ Stephen being called a pussy. I'm sorry, it's a cruel thing to laugh at, but it sent me rolling. Don't think Stephen has ever been talked to that way.

OMG Improv!Stephen. And Wilde-quoting!Stephen. And trying to remember the name of that guy who plays House. Hugh . . . And he was totally flirting with those actors from Second City.

He gave so many gloriously glompable looks this week. The cracking ice, the brain scan, lady sheep parts. LOL "Ice is icy."

It's already half-way over

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Mares

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 2:23pm Post subject: Episode 3
Anyone know, start to finish, how long they spent on filming it all?

LMAO @ Stephen being called a pussy. I'm sorry, it's a cruel thing to laugh at, but it sent me rolling. Don't think Stephen has ever been talked to that way.

It's already half-way over

He threw back and head and laughed though.

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 2:45pm Post subject: Episode 3

Anywho.. I voted for Obama, but I'd like to ask those of you in the UK and in Europe to vote out your own lousy leaders, like Gordon Brown, and please not to elect another Tony Blair, or Angela Merkel, or Sarkozy, who is as bad as the Shrub. My heart was in my throat in concern about how these men are denying so many of you a vote on the Lisbon Treaty, and it's equally in my throat with these types attempting to push for back door deals they've made down our throats over here at some sham conference at Bretton Woods.

Unfortunately I have no direct vote for the Prime Minister as I only get to vote for a representative in my area. The party with the greatest number of representatives overall then picks a PM. In reality most folks tend to vote based on the candidates party but that doesn't mean we can affect their internal choices.

When Blair stood down Brown stood up, unopposed from his party who were the only ones who had a say in the choice. I could vote for the opposition candidate in the next election, but frankly I don't like the leader of their lot either! I could also join a polical party to get a vote in who leads the party but I don't want to endorse any of them really (or pay for the privelege).

That would be me.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 3:18pm Post subject: Episode 3
When he was wearing that skull cap thing to have his alpha waves measured I thought he looked like he was doing an episode of Red Dwarf.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

monochromeprincess

Posted Tue Oct 28th, 2008 8:30pm Post subject: Episode 3
Didn't you just love the expression on his face, during the test he had at the TM facility, when he looks directly into the camera, when the man who was explaining the results to him looks away?

Yes: those moments are really for me what elevates the series past other documentaries (as trivial as it may sound) - the kind of silent commentary on it all, which doesn't necessarily pass judgements on what is going on there but give it the edge over 'here are the facts' kind of documentaries but is well aware that it doesn't want to be a 'patronising commentary' kind of documentary. It's that look of, you know how I feel about this, and you can think what you like - it's an honesty about it that I like, that whatever the gloss of the series is, Mr Fry is still himself, and can't pretend to like things that he doesn't. And I can't help but agree with him on a lot of things, but I'm quite aware that I am being allowed to disagree with him also.

Sorry if that sounds like making a big deal out of a relatively small point, but I think it's important (dammit!).

Thanks for the info on the time scale, just interesting really. It's surprising how they devote so much time and film tape to produce a (relatively) small product. I think if anything, it ensures quality, though of course we would like to see more.

Aw, sigh, I loved the Wilde quoting too, I can't believe I left it out in my original post. *needs a dreamy smiley more than ever*

As for your point, Mares, about Gordon Brown, I don't wish to debate politics too much as it is a bit of a tangent, and simply present you with two words: David Cameron. Believe me, this country could do a lot worse than Gordon Brown, however many knocks he might get, and though I might not wholly support him, I can understand in such a position of power there will always be abuse and criticism, and I really think he is doing the best he can with what he has been given.

Maybe that was more than a few words!! I think we can all agree on the squishiness of episode three though, if not everything else. *squishes*

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

jason

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 10:18am Post subject: Episode 3
great as always! THANK YOU

P2C2E

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 12:14pm Post subject: Episode 3

The visit to Fairfield, Iowa--home of Maharishi University made me laugh. I used to live in Iowa City, nearby. Even though I am a long-time meditator (taught by roving Tibetan jet-set lamas) and continue to be amazed by what the western scientific studies are uncovering about how meditation changes the brain, I've been to Fairfield--'tis a silly place.

On another subject, I cast my absentee ballot for Mr. Obama in Iowa; I hope my vote does some good. Since I am a dual US/Canadian citizen, I'm still slightly bummed at the recent Canadian election result. Just read an article that Obama is more popular in Canada than any of the party leaders here. Count me in.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 12:27pm Post subject: Episode 3
Another informative and lovely episode. Most things have already been said. Wintery Minnesota had me shivering, especially when Stephen was sitting on the lake for god knows how long. Glad they put the fish back into the lake.

j9r

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 1:18pm Post subject: Episode 3
Another informative and lovely episode. Most things have already been said. Wintery Minnesota had me shivering, especially when Stephen was sitting on the lake for god knows how long. Glad they put the fish back into the lake.

Lake fishing to me makes so much more sense when you build a little hut on the lake, it has seats and blocks the wind, makes it damn cold not bone chilling cold.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

MartyKS

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 6:55pm Post subject: Episode 3
I don't understand the fascination with Obama. Sure he gives a good speech (while reading from a teleprompter) but his unprepared comments are full of stutters and stammers like Bush. His actual accomplishments are too few to mention.
Ah well, we truly live in a celebrity obsessed culture. All hail the Celebrity in Chief...