Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 11:18pm Post subject: Episode 4
Aw dear. I'm still laughing =D. One of the best episodes so far, I think.

Short of writing notes while watching it, my favourite parts this week have to be, firstly, the german cafe, lol. Oh the punishment of the stomach! I couldn't help but think, while they were discussing the diet of the people who lived there, that they seemed to have kept the traditions they liked: i.e. the food but not the work - the size of the portions there! Lol at the burger in batter. Just love Stephen's reaction to it all.

The landscapes are just amazing. The conversation with the guy (this isn't sounding very technical, is it?) about global warming and how fast such a beautiful mark of nature might slide away from us was just frightening. How white everything seemed to be, the clouds in the sky and their reflections in the water, next to the mountains...Beautiful, but it is frightening how much damage we are doing to it. I guess 'each man kills the thing he loves'.

What a bargain for that man living in the missile camp - lol - but who in their right mind would want to live there? Harrowing to think about that place means, what it could have meant to the world. But spooky, I watched it in absolute horro r (even the fabled 'destruct' switch...just horrific). And lol, at the hippy music. I was watching it with my parents and as the description went on and Stephen said he had a wife, my dad said 'a wife? Seemed more like the person to be living with a giant squirrel'. Lol.

Oooh! And I nearly forgot! The Trucker's shop!! I fell about the floor laughing my head off, that was simply classic! Aah dear. X-D X-D

It seems so serene to be travelling around though (more Stephen's style than trucker...yeah, you may have no one to nag you, but then there's no one to love you either), passing by such beautiful scenery...I forget, sometimes, how much of America is beautiful, untamed wilderness.

Oh and Fryphile, I thought of you when there was a shot of Mr Fry in that lovely hat - you would make my week, nay, my month (call it a christmas present!!) if you could present us with a cap :D:D:D. I think that was truly what Mr Fry was talking about when he mentioned his American brother 'Steve'.

I'm sure I've missed a whole bunch of priceless stuff, you guys always remind me of stuff I've forgotten, but I know that this was a simply brilliant episode!! It had a great balance of city and nature, capturing the real essence of America (don't know if I can say that not being American, but it seems to present it well to me).

Lovely, thank you Mr Fry and team :D.

much love

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 12:25am Post subject: Episode 4
Thought it was amazing.

It is so hard to comprehend borders like that with the mexicans. I suppose that with water all around us, it is a strange concept.

I remember when they were building the channel Tunnel, and everyone was saying that they were concerned because it meant we were connected to Europe. LOL

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 5:51am Post subject: Episode 4
Waiting for the fine folks with DVRs to Youtubize Episode 4

fish_chip

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 10:59am Post subject: Episode 4
I can't wait to watch it

sounds amazing

come on youtube!!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 11:13am Post subject: Episode 4
It was fantastic as always!

The sheer size of america still astounds me.

Sidthespid

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 5:22pm Post subject: Episode 4
It was brilliant but I must say, I didn't recognise one thing in that German cafe as being remotely German. My bloke and my friend just looked at the tv, mouths agape and then looked at me, questioning reality. (Yes, they are German)

Where were the Knödel? Laugenzopf? Kartoffel Puffer? Schweinebraten mit Apfel Blaukraut? Dare I say it, Weißwurst mit SußSenf?

I loved the visit to the prison, most enlightening. As for the sheep bits - well!

I laughed heartily when Stephen had a good ol' sneaky gawp at the belly dancer's cleavage. Just as she was standing up from the table, his eyes couldn't help themselves. Was it merely instinctive behaviour, regardless of sexual orientation or was he thinking "hmn.. lunch" ? LOL That was superb.

Looking forward to the next one already

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 6:06pm Post subject: Episode 4
Really good episode! Like you could expect anything else! The mountain landscape really was lovely. I loved the cowboy hat near the end, very nice . The only bad bit was the picture of the dead dog :'( . The rest was fantastic! My favourite bit was at the truck stop. That strange thing was awfully phallic.

When will this episode be repeated, it's not on Saturday like usual?

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 7:32pm Post subject: Episode 4
It said at the end that prevous episodes are on iplayer. Can guys overseas get it? I know there's always been some confusion before as to who can access it and who can't.

@dreamingshadow

CarolineK

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 7:51pm Post subject: Episode 4

It is so hard to comprehend borders like that with the mexicans. I suppose that with water all around us, it is a strange concept.

I remember when they were building the channel Tunnel, and everyone was saying that they were concerned because it meant we were connected to Europe. LOL

I don't know if I'd be disappointing or reasurring you, but I don't live on an Island and I still found that bit breathtakingly painful. It just feels nearly Kafkaesque in its absurdity and arbitrariness. We homo sapiens have made a right mess of things, haven't we?

Otherwise, a brilliant episode and Stephen was more heart-warmingly Stephen-like than in previous episodes, I think. Bless him.

Hope

Member *

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 8:16pm Post subject: Episode 4

Oooh! And I nearly forgot! The Trucker's shop!! I fell about the floor laughing my head off, that was simply classic! Aah dear. X-D

Haha, me too! I was literally crying with laughter when he was looking at the mattress thing for truckers and the thumbs up advertisements - I kept thinking about it throughout today and it was making me giggle (I feel that in the future if people ask the question "How are you?" I won't be able to resist replying with a cheery "Well, I feel about as happy as an American truck-driver who has just purchased a new mattress pad for comfort whilst sleeping.... etc" with accompanying thumbs-up X-D Something about it was so ridiculous as to be entirely ace.) There was something so brilliantly fabulous about the whole episode - the cafe bit was hilarious too.

I just really, really love the whole series. OH! and when he was at the missile camp thing and the people starting singing and playing guitar. Mr. Fry looked genuinely scared, really. I'd be worried too. X-D

Oh, and monochromeprincess, The Ballad of Reading Gaol is the only poem I can ever remember verses from - just saying as it's nice to actually recognise a quote for once!

x

Emma18

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 8:49pm Post subject: Episode 4
I quite liked the part where he was at Mt. Rushmore and was posing as a new addition to the sculpture
Both me and my mum thought it was a good episode...some very funny parts!

j9r

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 12:32am Post subject: Episode 4
First a big thanks to whoever got it up on YouTube so fast. Yeah....Montana made me cold. The only part of the lower 48 I haven't been to is Montana, N. &S. Dakota and Idaho. Now I want to get in the car and drive there (or wait for spring and drive there, probably snowing already). The idea that the rancher have a spread that is bigger than a county in England and live a such a little house.

Diod Aspen the same way I do, pretty cafe no skiing. Texas reminded me why I don't do Texas, well Houston, Austin would be fine. The truck stop too funny, what were those chrome balls really for?

Standing on the Canadian border in the middle of nowhere then in El Paso, with the boarder patrol. Such a stark contrast to the boarders. In the Micheal Palin series he said when crossing from Mexico into San Diego, it's where the third world meets the first.

SF in a cowboy hat, didn't look that silly when you are somewhere where it comes in handy.

Can't wait for the next one since he is headed my way.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

fryfan20

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 12:35am Post subject: Episode 4
it was wonderful

I am what I am

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 1:14am Post subject: Episode 4
Truck Stop Stephen was hilarious. It cracked me up when he found the truck balls. For anyone who doesn't know, some...people...put those on the back of their trucks. You hang them off the back bumper between the back tires so that the truck looks like it has balls. Stupid.

But how cute was Cowboy Hat Stephen? Adorably cute!

My family took a trip up to Yellowstone when I was 12 and it is just magnificently beautiful. The mountains and the vast nothingness to it. Really unbelievable out there.

It was a little disappointing to see only Houston (which by the way is pronounced Hugh-ston) and then the border. The problem with Texas is that it's almost 4 states in one, yet we can't expect Stephen to spend 1/2 an episode on just us ( even though I totally wanted him to). You can't really understand the landscape of the state that way, since it's so enormous, one part of the state doesn't look like another part. Oh well. It is what it is. Stupid lame-ass Houston. But seriously people if you're coming to Texas just hit Austin. It's 1 to 3 hours away from all the coolest stuff to see. Natural Bridge Caverns, The Alamo, Lost Pines State Park, Enchanted Rock, Lost Maples State Park, Fredricksburg (lovely little German town), Cypress Valley Canopy Tours. Everything's so close. Well, except Big Bend. Which would be the one place I would recommend not in the Central Texas area I would recommend people to see.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 1:49am Post subject: Episode 4

It was a little disappointing to see only Houston (which by the way is pronounced Huge-ston) and then the border. The problem with Texas is that it's almost 4 states in one, yet we can't expect Stephen to spend 1/2 an episode on just us ( even though I totally wanted him to). You can't really understand the landscape of the state that way, since it's so enormous, one part of the state doesn't look like another part. Oh well. It is what it is. Stupid lame-ass Houston. But seriously people if you're coming to Texas just hit Austin. It's 1 to 3 hours away from all the coolest stuff to see. Natural Bridge Caverns, The Alamo, Lost Pines State Park, Enchanted Rock, Lost Maples State Park, Fredricksburg (lovely little German town), Cypress Valley Canopy Tours. Everything's so close. Well, except Big Bend. Which would be the one place I would recommend not in the Central Texas area I would recommend people to see.

C'mon now Dulie, don't leave out the beautiful Piney Woods and bayous of East Texas! Stephen Fry tubing on the Guadalupe River would have been fun to watch though.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman