Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Katrina

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:02am Post subject: Episode 4
It's been said a million times, but I did love Stephen looking utterly confused at the truck stop! Our family's first stop on a road trip is always the truck stop because they tend to have better junk food, plus there's a lot of fun crap to look at...

"I'd have a peanut butter sandwich." X-D X-D X-D

And Stephen's gleeful laughter while doing doughnuts on the beach!

I'm taking a class right now that's specifically about Mexican immigration to America, and it was fascinating to see the physical border I've been reading so much about. I lived in Dallas for quite a while, but that's no where near the same area.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:04am Post subject: Episode 4
C'mon now Dulie, don't leave out the beautiful Piney Woods and bayous of East Texas!
Well, the Lost Pines is as far East as I care to go. X-D

Oh, and good thing you quoted me, I noticed my typo on the pronunciation of Houston. I always confuse the spellings the words huge and hugh (among other things), stupid dyslexia.

The drive to Houston isn't too bad, it's just the part when you arrive in Houston that sucks. My friend and I went there for a wedding once and as we were driving through one of those little highway towns we passed by a restaurant with a giant sign on it that simply said "RESTAURANT." No other name on it, no sign with any other name or explanation, not Jack's Restaurant or Sammy's Restaurant, nope only 1 sign: Restaurant. We figured it must really be a small town for that to work.

"Where you wanna go fur supper?"

"Uuuh, I don't know, how 'bout Restaurant?"

"Yeah, ok, Restaurant sounds good."

MartyKS

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:31am Post subject: Episode 4
C'mon now Dulie, don't leave out the beautiful Piney Woods and bayous of East Texas!
Well, the Lost Pines is as far East as I care to go. X-D

Oh, and good thing you quoted me, I noticed my typo on the pronunciation of Houston. I always confuse the spellings the words huge and hugh (among other things), stupid dyslexia.

The drive to Houston isn't too bad, it's just the part when you arrive in Houston that sucks. My friend and I went there for a wedding once and as we were driving through one of those little highway towns we passed by a restaurant with a giant sign on it that simply said "RESTAURANT." No other name on it, no sign with any other name or explanation, not Jack's Restaurant or Sammy's Restaurant, nope only 1 sign: Restaurant. We figured it must really be a small town for that to work.

"Where you wanna go fur supper?"

"Uuuh, I don't know, how 'bout Restaurant?"

"Yeah, ok, Restaurant sounds good."

I remember driving Route 66 with my family when i was a kid and recall vividly seeing a restaurant with a big neon sign. EAT GAS. No name, just EAT GAS.. X-D

wooden_elf

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:32am Post subject: Episode 4
I loved watching Stephen drive around on the beach! He reminded me so of a school boy i an amusement park.

MartyKS

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:42am Post subject: Episode 4
Just watched on Youtube ( the gift that keeps on giving) Outstanding episode, though I have no idea why they played "Wichita Lineman" while in Nebraska.
Loved Stephen's reaction to those oh so sincere hippies in the missile silo. And Stephen at a truck stop was hilarious. Never noticed balls on an 18 wheeler before, guess I'll have to be more observant , or not.
All in all my favorite episode...

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 4:00am Post subject: Episode 4
I remember driving Route 66 with my family when i was a kid and recall vividly seeing a restaurant with a big neon sign. EAT GAS. No name, just EAT GAS..
Hilarious. X-D

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 4:36am Post subject: Episode 4
Every time I see Ted Turner I can't help but notice that that man is criminally insane. Such a visionary though.

Love the dog sled bit...dog sledding is sooooo much fun and its been ages since I've had the chance to be on one.

The truck shop bit was epic! My cousin used to be a trucker and my youngest cousin on my mothers side is totally into pimping out his pickup truck with rubbish like that.

On his way to Aspen he would have gone past were I grew up in Colorado so that is a fun thought on the whole.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Mares

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 5:19am Post subject: Episode 4
Every time I see Ted Turner I can't help but notice that that man is criminally insane. Such a visionary though.

Love the dog sled bit...dog sledding is sooooo much fun and its been ages since I've had the chance to be on one.

The truck shop bit was epic! My cousin used to be a trucker and my youngest cousin on my mothers side is totally into pimping out his pickup truck with rubbish like that.

On his way to Aspen he would have gone past were I grew up in Colorado so that is a fun thought on the whole.

I agree with you about Ted Turner. I went to see him speak at a dinner for a charity back in the late eighties, early nineties (can't remember exactly, he was still married to Fonda at the time, she was there). He'd always seemed like what he claimed to be, before that. A man who had risen up to wealth, but who had retained a sense of who he had been prior to that... but somewhere in time, he got sucked into that Davos Man mindset, and into the extremist greeniac cult, and lost any sense of humor and warmth that he seemed to have previously. At any rate, at the dinner you could see that he'd started to become slightly paranoid, and self absorbed. From what Fonda had to say after they parted, he'd lost so much of his humanity and his love of people, that he wasn't the same person any more.

I got to see ep 4 this evening, and I was in two minds about poor Stephen being stuck with a nit like Ted for a segment.

I'll give a quick overview of my opinion, not in any particular order.

Do any of you know when Fry started filming the section that aired Sunday, was it before the end of December '07? I'm curious because Fry spoke with Russell Means when he visited the Lakota Sioux people, and around that time, Means had violated the trust of his people, going behind their back and misrepresenting their interests.

I'm curious about some of Stephen's comments when he was at the US Canadian border, when he stood at the post, with one foot in Canada, the other on the US side, he referenced Canada as the "clean side". I'm curious to know what that is based on.. as Canada doesn't have a better environmental record, and in fact, tries to export its garbage and waste, to dump into the US. Spending vast sums to lobby our congress to to try to force us to accept it.

Local news in Michigan last year was filled with reports about another such attempt, trying to stymie state government's efforts to refuse to accept their garbage.

Someone here referenced Mexico as the third world, it's not. It's the 14th wealthiest country in the world, with many billionaires/millionaires, a large and thriving middle class, a housing boom, and zero national debt. It's wealth was based on jobs taken from working poor/lower middle class American citizens, and sent to Mexico. Mexico co-wrote NAFTA, and promised in exchange to raise wages, increase opportunities for it's poorest, and enact needed reforms.. but each president since that time, has avoided doing so, because it prefered to encourage it's people to enter the US illegally, to work and send back remittances.

Yes, there is poverty in Mexico, but there is also an ever worsening problem of poverty in the US. On this series thus far, you've all seen people homeless, on this episode you saw people having to queue up at a soup kitchen just to eat. That town in Kansas is a ghost town, because when jobs go away, it destroys peoples lives. The US can't afford to subsidize the poorest countries any more, and we certainly can't afford to subsidize wealthy countries like Mexico and India that refuse to use their great wealth to improve the lives of their own people. I have to wonder what is going on in the minds of moonbat government officials in other countries, who whinge on about the importance of the MDG's, when since their inception, those funds have been used almost exclusively to fund the genocide, the rape and slaughter of innocent civilians in Africa, to buy weaponry and luxury items for African government leaders, and as bribes to the same leaders to allow pharmaceutical companies to be allowed to use poor Africans as guinea pigs for vaccine tests. Th e likes of Bono, Bill Gates and those like them have gotten more benefit out of the MDG's than the poor in Africa.

I read the comments of Gordon Brown this evening, stating that the next US President can not be "protectionist", he has to care about the "economy".. I've got news for idiot Brown, the US economy needs addressing, and there's nothing wrong with protecting the interests of your people, when the jobs have been bled away from them, and they are suffering as a result. We're not a never ending expense account, the free ride is over. We have dire poverty in each of the fifty states, and our citizens still have to pay first world prices to survive. The few social services we have, are being over burdened, and we are losing hundreds of thosands of jobs per month.

I'll be glad when Bush is gone from office, but I would appreciate it if those of you in the UK, would given Brown the bum's rush, and forcefully demand that he agree to hold elections, before he sells your country out from under you.. the man has gone from looking morose to where he's gleefully rubbing his hands together since the financial crisis started. He's already eradicated your Magna Carta, your constitutional protections, how many more horrible things does he have to do before you realize he is your own George Bush?

piggywhale

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 5:30am Post subject: Episode 4
What a wonderful episode! I cannot stop smiling, laughing and giggling all the way thru. Especially the bit in the Trucker Shop - very funny. X-D I was also extremely envious of Mr. Fry on the dog sledge. It looked real fun.

I know Mr. Fry said this documentary is not a propaganda piece from American Tourist Board; but I must admit it seriously makes me want to get out there and travel around America. It looked sooo interesting and absolutely beautiful (though I assume it must have cost a lot to travel like that).

It said at the end that prevous episodes are on iplayer. Can guys overseas get it? I know there's always been some confusion before as to who can access it and who can't.

Unfortunately, we cannot, monochromeprincess. :-// BBC's iPlayer is not available outside UK (except for radio.) The reason being that British people pay for the license fees and we, the outsiders, do not. Which, for me, it's perfectly understandable. I am hoping they would make out someway to allow people from outside UK to watch shows on iPlayer though. Maybe paying some online viewing fees, perhaps?

CarolineK

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 2:23pm Post subject: Episode 4

Oh, thanks for that, I thought it was just me! Even knowing nothing of the sort happened, I couldn't shake off the anxiety that he was about to make Stephen sing "Yellow Submarine" with his head in a soup bowl. Or something.

gjhsu

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 4:20pm Post subject: Episode 4
My dad got the opportunity earlier this year to go photograph and videograph Glacier National park, and from what he brought back, it's as SFiA shows it.... absolutely stunning, but slowly disappearing.

I hope to get a chance to go up there and see if before it's gone.

michael

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 4:28pm Post subject: Episode 4
i vote for mr fry to keep and wear the cowboy hat. looked good to me.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 8:43pm Post subject: Episode 4
Yeah I liked the hat too, we're not biased at all though.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

fryfan20

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:37pm Post subject: Episode 4
I can probably repeat this every time there has been a episode but I must say it:

that was fucking great

my apologises for the swearing.

I am what I am

lynnoliver

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 1:22am Post subject: Episode 4
I was hoping that Stephen might investigate more in Idaho than just a few facts and a few mountains (the Basque heritage in Boise, for instance).

Oh well. Perhaps some other time?

From often overlooked Idaho,

lynnoliver