Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 9:18pm Post subject: Episode 6
Not long to go now. Who else is excited?

finolam

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:12pm Post subject: Episode 6
Just finished watching. Great epissode. Loved the entire series. I know what i will want in my christmas stocking t(he dvd of the show).

But am just wondering what happened to the cab. Stephen seemed quite sad to be leaving it behind in seattle.

Finola

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:18pm Post subject: Episode 6
This was a great episode; such a range of things, and loveliness, and everything...I thought it was great that it came full circle in a way, with the fishing boat and all (although I suppose they did do that in...wherever it was...ice fishing, so more of a recurrent theme). How delightful - 'Oh! Does it know how ugly it is?' !

A range of outfits to suit all, lol - jumpers to shorts - I simply loved the Hawaiian beaches at the end...so peaceful...so beautiful, so perfect.

Can't say I'd have fancied the sharks. That looked well frightening.

Oh there was so much but I can't remember specifics...just kind of overwhelmed a little (if that's not a contradictory phrase...which it is...oh well), can't believe it's over (anyone got info on More Fry in America?).

Well Mr Fry has shown us through a diverse collection of united and divided States, where life is, indeed, lived in many states...with so much beautiful scenery, touching nature's splendour abundant in so many different forms, which can only ever be tarnished slightly by Americans' futile grasp on nature's permanence - in that, often natural beauty must yield in many places to the destructive growth and prosperance of America's people and its ravishing economy, power and dominance over so many things, which does not stop charging forwards even at its own people, and its own nature and resources. We've seen so many wonderful people in such delightful locations; and also hollow and deluded people in hollowed out cities, the green glow of money in their eyes. But whatever darkness, poverty, destruction and sadness inhabits its towns, cities, deserts, rivers, snow fields and skies, there is always that hope, that determination, that belief that things will get better and goals can be achieved with strength of will, which is perhaps the most beautiful thing of all. And there's been laughs along the way. It's been a joy.

Yey for Fry in America :). Missing it already.

mp xxx

p.s. FLUFFY HAIR!!!

@dreamingshadow

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 4:33am Post subject: Episode 6
Come on..... YOUTUBE!

On the plus side, I did get an email yesterday saying my Blu-ray of this series has shipped from England. Hoping upon hopes that it plays on my PS3.

Blogmeister

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 2:58pm Post subject: Episode 6
Well, end of the series and I'm left with a feeling that I've learned very little about America. A case of trying to cover far too much in too little time. I would love to know how many hours of filmed footage were unused and which we will never see.

So much potential too - Stephen Fry, an excellent and intelligent presenter and some amazing people and places, sadly all over in the blink of an eye.

It makes me so angry that this great opportunity has been so wasted by trying to cram it all into a ridiculously short 6 hours.

Whoever at the BBC decided on such a short running time should be given a swift kicking.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 5:11pm Post subject: Episode 6
Well, end of the series and I'm left with a feeling that I've learned very little about America. A case of trying to cover far too much in too little time. I would love to know how many hours of filmed footage were unused and which we will never see.

So much potential too - Stephen Fry, an excellent and intelligent presenter and some amazing people and places, sadly all over in the blink of an eye.

It makes me so angry that this great opportunity has been so wasted by trying to cram it all into a ridiculously short 6 hours.

Whoever at the BBC decided on such a short running time should be given a swift kicking.

The main point you should have picked up is that the United States is big.... very, very big.

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 6:17pm Post subject: Episode 6
What a fantastic episode! Actually, what a fantastic series!!!! I loved it all and can't wait until Christmas when Santa should bring me the book and dvd!

I loved the bit where Mr Fry swam with sharks! Scary! I also liked all of the crazy Hawaiin shirts, brilliant! Oh! And what a memory, reciting that scene from Dirty Harry, word perfect! I commend you, Mr Fry!!

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

amberzak

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 8:24pm Post subject: Episode 6
Was anyone else thinking, when Stephen was swimming with sharks, that it looked like the sharks could just get him through the hole in the cage. Or was that just me?

Soph

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 8:38pm Post subject: Episode 6
Was anyone else thinking, when Stephen was swimming with sharks, that it looked like the sharks could just get him through the hole in the cage. Or was that just me?
I was terrified for him ! I was really nervous, with my hands over my face. xD He was really brave though, and surprisingly calm. I was concerned the sharks could easy fit through the bars, it's not just you.

Photobucket

amberzak

Posted Mon Nov 17th, 2008 8:44pm Post subject: Episode 6
I was terrified for him ! I was really nervous, with my hands over my face. xD He was really brave though, and surprisingly calm. I was concerned the sharks could easy fit through the bars, it's not just you.

Yeah, I was really worried. I would never have been able to do that. He is brave.

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 2:08am Post subject: Episode 6
I loved how excited Stephen was when he got to shoot the gun.

Hawaii was just unbelievable. Maybe some day I'll get to go there.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 7:57am Post subject: Episode 6
Can't wait to watch it...just need to find the time.

Hawaii is excellent. Lots of great Japanese food. I was surprised I liked Hawaii as much as I did as I am not one for the beach or places that are susceptible to lots of harsh weather. But I'll admit I would go back.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 2:34pm Post subject: Episode 6

I'm impressed, he fired that with one hand.....not sure if he hit anything, but impressed none the less.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

gjhsu

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 2:42pm Post subject: Episode 6

I'm impressed, he fired that with one hand.....not sure if he hit anything, but impressed none the less.

In the book he said that he DID manage to hit the target! But it caused some throbbing in his still-recovering arm. Worth it, he said.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 2:42pm Post subject: Episode 6

And that was his shattered arm, too. In the book, he said he missed the target the first few times, then hit it.

Stephen hit dat

Does anyone know if the DVD will have stuff not on the televisual version? And did anyone else get frostbite simply watching the Alaska footage? BRRRRRR. And the name Barrow, Alaska kept nagging at me until I remembered 30 Days of Night.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry