Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 16th, 2009 6:30am Post subject: Equus is on
and I'm so excited about it. But it' scoming on real late and I've got some movie called 'Molly' to get thorugh first and I'm really, really tired. Time to break out the alarm clock.

Yes, that Equus with Richard Burton. The movie based on the play and for that it was very criticized. The movie isn't perfect all the way through but there are some really amazing moments with ol' Richard as shrink.

I'll never make it without an alarm clock and boy will I pay a price for interrupting my sleep patterns just to catch it....but meh, i can afford it X-D

EQUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jul 16th, 2009 3:44pm Post subject: Equus is on
I'm going to have to see that. I've only read the play.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 16th, 2009 4:26pm Post subject: Equus is on
I got totally pwned. It never came on. The station's entire menu was off.

here's a scene on youtube...you might be able to find it in full online, i don't know...or thru netflix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDajCkGmXSU

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jul 16th, 2009 11:36pm Post subject: Equus is on
That stinks.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 1:11am Post subject: Equus is on
That stinks.

Which? The clip or the channel? X-D

I've been told it's going to be aired on a future date at....0200hrs X-D I don't really care, I'll be awake for it

I saw some video of the most recent Broadway play ( the Harry Potter kid's playing Alan...). What I saw, I did not like. I thought the set design stunk, but I'm kind of turned off how theatre's gotten anyway in terms of what is done with the entire environment. Everything's about being too big or poorly lit and ( insert endless critiques )...

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 2:41am Post subject: Equus is on
I saw photos of the horse costumes in the Daniel Radcliffe version. Very stagey, I thought, but unusual, too.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 7:50am Post subject: Equus is on
I saw photos of the horse costumes in the Daniel Radcliffe version. Very stagey, I thought, but unusual, too.

Are you familiar with the story of Equus? I ask only because I'm a little worried I might ruin some aspect of it for you by blabbering about the film and I don't want to do that.

Re: the set....I'll have to look again, but my recollection of one therapy scene was that both the actors, ( the shrink and the ill kid ), were sitting on white blocks...

When did it stop becoming fashionable to just call a pig, a pig? I'm all for representation and illusion-to...but it escapes me how this set in any way mimics the environment of a psychiatrists office ( we wouldn't want actual furniture after all X-D tsk tsk ). To bend reality before even referencing it is...pointless...

Having said that, I'll probably go back to look and realize I've got my entire opinion wrong.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 1:49pm Post subject: Equus is on
Yup, I've read the play. I've just never seen a production, stage or screen. The impression I got from the Radcliffe version is that they wanted the beauty of the horse costumes to overshadow the set, perhaps so the Radcliffe character's actions were all the more stark, weird and horrifying. I read a few reviews of the show; that's where I got this info.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 6:09pm Post subject: Equus is on
Yup, I've read the play. I've just never seen a production, stage or screen. The impression I got from the Radcliffe version is that they wanted the beauty of the horse costumes to overshadow the set, perhaps so the Radcliffe character's actions were all the more stark, weird and horrifying. I read a few reviews of the show; that's where I got this info.

:-// I hated asking if you had read it Pam...I was betting that you had but if not, I don't want to be a spoiler is all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93u9JfxtCE

My bad...they look like grey blocks X-D

Hmm...I'm not seeing the beauty of the horses here...but this is also not the entire play. Maybe someone will come along who HAS seen the whole thing.

Lighting's still horrible IMHO...this is all from a camera close by...now imagine you're anywhere except first row, center stage

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 7:13pm Post subject: Equus is on
See, I thought the horse costumes, spare as they were, were unusual. More creative than simply putting the actors in cloth costumes or worse, just making props.

I didn't like the blocks either, but I think they might have been going for a spare look, maybe to make what Alan did appear even more stark and terrible. I wish I'd seen any production of this play. Well, not a bad one.

Nitro

Posted Fri Jul 17th, 2009 9:02pm Post subject: Equus is on
See, I thought the horse costumes, spare as they were, were unusual. More creative than simply putting the actors in cloth costumes or worse, just making props.

I didn't like the blocks either, but I think they might have been going for a spare look, maybe to make what Alan did appear even more stark and terrible. I wish I'd seen any production of this play. Well, not a bad one.

I kept wondering what they were made of. Hopefully not too heavy or are chiropractic visits included for the actors-as-horses? ouch!

My bias goes towards a warmer environment for the audiences sake I guess. Something a little less grand. Everything on Broadway now, and maybe that's from expectations..i don't know...is just so over the top and cirque de soleil...the trickle down effect is that other cities jump on the farking bandwagon...so we get Spiderman The Musical X-D

Really? Wow.