Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Drac0

Posted Thu Feb 2nd, 2012 5:18am Post subject: Ex-Wallaby Clyde Rathbone Battles The Black Dog

Sorry for another blog link....

On Monday (31/01/2012), 30 year old Clyde Rathbone, a former international rugby union star for the Australian Wallabies (15 tests between 2004 & 2006) made a startling post on his Facebook wall revealing his personal battle with mental illness.

In the post, Rathbone speaks openly about his past & how emotional abuse as a child left him battling mental illness throughout his life. He asked that his story be distributed in an attempt to help others deal with similar situations.

It is with thanks to people like Clyde that the issue of mental illness is being brought out into the open. His candid story can only help in raising awareness of mental health issues & the stigma associated with these illnesses. I would personally like to thank him for this frank & deeply personal post & wish him all the best for the future as he continues to face his problems.

Here is his story, in his own words: http://nudirection.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/ex-wall.....s-all.html

I hope his story inspires others to speak out about mental illness.

Cheers

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

SahirneeSSilvermane

Posted Thu Feb 23rd, 2012 9:03pm Post subject: Ex-Wallaby Clyde Rathbone Battles The Black Dog

Depressive illness is something that is not, in my opinion, taken very seriously by many. This leads to little knowledge of it on the part of most, and many feel that it's nothing more than a willful tendency on the part of the depressive to be withdrawn, apathetic, and irritable.....to not feel much of anything, and to not have normal emotional reactions to the elements of everyday life. Having lived with this disorder for the better part of 58 years, I'm well aware of how others perceive depressives, and I have, on occasion, tried to tell a few people that we do feel things, and feel them deeply...we just tend to not discuss such things, and try to compartmentalize feelings in attempts to ward off the horror of complete despair. Yet, this despair more often than not prevails.

I have often wondered what it is like to be "normal", to be able to experience emotions and events as others do. I have repeatedly experienced the discomfort and subsequent alienation of others when they have known me for a while, and cannot understand why I'm not like them, or like the same things they do, or have the same reactions to things that others do. That made for difficulties in my various work environments, and it was a problem that I could do little about...

My depressive illness has made it necessary for me to avoid relationships with others. Therefore, I have no close friends, never have had, and never will. I am also an Idiosyncratic Personality, and this hasn't really helped my situation! But my tendency is to keep distance between myself and others, because it's safer, and less stressful and painful. Alone is better. That way, nobody need be offended by either my depression or my idiosyncratic features.

What I have done to combat the depressive illness is pursue my continuing education, study my portrait and figure painting, learn all that I can about what matters to me in literature, photography, poetry-writing, design, music, and other arts, and seek out the beautiful wherever I can find it....and create it with my own two hands when I can. There is wonderful excitement for me in learning a new art form, and this has served me well in my efforts to cope with depressive illness. I know that when I'm most ill (I call it "down in the zero") I at least have something wonderful to do waiting for me when I'm better.

My way may well be a coward's way, but it has kept me alive and provided me some respite from ignorant judgmental individuals, and those put-downs and pain that others can inflict on a depressive at the drop of a hat...one of the worst being "She's just trying to get attention..". Believe me, that's the last thing I want. Solitude is my refuge, and the things I love make that solitude rich, and for me, ultimately rewarding.Lonely? Painful? Sad? Yes. But...it works for me.

SahirneeSSilvermane, The Tiger's Eye Studio, Tacoma, WA, USA

Frazzy

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2012 7:30pm Post subject: Ex-Wallaby Clyde Rathbone Battles The Black Dog

It's definitely not taken seriously.. 'get over it' so many people say, yes, I HADN'T THOUGHT OF THAT. What a brilliant fucking idea, I'll just stop whatever the fuck is going on in my brain. *snaps fingers* Yay.