Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

blacksquirrel

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 6:34pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
This is very boring, but it interests me, so if you have the time, please respond...

I drink a lot of tea, coffee sends me nuts so i stick to tea... and in the evening i drink 5 or 6 peppermint teas... i don't smoke, i do drink but am really careful just to have one or two glasses of something for fear creating something i don't have control of... i just wondered if anyone else has any little excesses [if that's not an oxymoron?] that they'd like to share?...

I know as a group we tend to be all or nothing people, so i'm expecting lots of manic exercising responses.....

Le Squidge Noir

Flossy

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 1:29am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
I tend to have........................................nothing to tell you on that front really!

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 9:29am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
I used to be mr self destruct - 40 cigarettes a day, 10 pints a day, junk food, no exercise, nothing. fortunately i never got into drugs though. It was a cycle that was immensely difficult to get out of - depression, DTs etc.... i've now been a non-smoker for 15 months, i drink rarely but sociably these days and eat far healthier than i used to.

I feel hugely better for it, mentally and physically.

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 9:55am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
Tea and exercise.

Also talking and writing.

panda

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 11:02am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
i used to smoke cigarettes, weed, and drink alcohol, tea. now i've given it all up. i find that any uppers you have (like caffeine) then needs to be balanced by downers (weed), so i stay clear of the whole thing. try to get my energy, motivation and balance by good nutrition, good sleep.
i started giving up tea by just having very weak and milky earl grey tea, maybe once or twice a day. now i don't drink any caffeine. just lots of rooibosh tea (redbush tea). it is lovely, its a bit like normal tea, but not a weak rubbish version cos its a tea in its own right, if that makes any sense... and you can have it with milk, which makes it feel less like a herbal tea, which can be a bit blah. having said that, i do drink herbal teas too (though definitely have roobosh most of the time). Chai teas are lovely, you can get chocolate ones, cinamon ones, Tiger tea by celestial seasons is great. you can have all with milk (soya milk in my case). then the herbal teas you can choose for their different properties. camomile for calming, peppermint for digestion, nettle for hayfever, fennel for cleansing. it goes on!!
giving up alcohol has been brilliant for me. though if people can manage it in moderation that's good. for me, i'm such a light weight that moderation isn't really an option for me!
my last vice left, pretty much, is chocolate. i know it would improve my moods to cut it out.
reading books is my new relaxation thing, there are several authors i find ideal for that!
and essential oils are brilliant natural uppers and downers!

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 3:06pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
Tea and exercise.

Also talking and writing.

+ 1 on those .... but when feeling 'up' probably more guitar playing than writing.

trouser material

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:05pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
I'm going to get drunk tonight. I cannot resist the urge. Does this mean i have a drink problem?

Aoibheann

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:09pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
I'm going to get drunk tonight. I cannot resist the urge. Does this mean i have a drink problem?

when was the last time you were drunk?

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:10pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
OK, I'll go there, sex. Many MD'ives report raging libido as a symptom. I don't mind that element of the illness.

Flossy

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:11pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
Go on to next comment!

Flossy

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:12pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?

Depends how long you have been unable to resist this urge!

I have been unable to resist the urge to drink for the last twenty five years but then, my habit consists of a bottle of wine and a couple of beers a few times a week, whereas others are drinking two bottles of spirit or fifteen pints a day

All depends!

trouser material

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 8:18pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
I last drank alcohol on saturday night, it was my birthday so that's allowed. I drink the smallest fraction of what i used to, so i consider the odd blowout acceptable (however that DOESN'T mean i'm a binge drinker like the wankers falling out of trendy clubs with their equally dickheaded mates, looking for a scrap with the smallest guy they can find).

Whew, i need a fucking drink! X-D

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 4:17am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
As far as I know binge drining is technically any more then 5 or 6 drinks in one session.... so work out from that if what you are doing is binging.

In terms of a problem, the volume of drink does not matter. Its the relationship you have with it and affect that drink has on your life. For example, If you cannot go with out 2-3 glasses of wine a night because you feel you need it, your reasons are to block something or you start to change things so that you can (say skip certain necessities to pay for it) then it is possible that you have a drink problem.
However, if you drink say 8 drinks in one night simply because you enjoy it, your out at a party or whatever, its not a regular thing and you are not damaging a part of your life in order to do it, then you probably dont have a drink problem.

Trousers, If you want to go out and drink in order to get shit faced drunk because you dont want to face up to something then maybe you just have to be aware of it. Im not saying you have a problem, Im more saying if you develop this into a regular habit then it COULD BECOME a problem down the line.

meekychuppet

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 8:43am Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?
As far as I know binge drining is technically any more then 5 or 6 drinks in one session.... so work out from that if what you are doing is binging.

In terms of a problem, the volume of drink does not matter. Its the relationship you have with it and affect that drink has on your life. For example, If you cannot go with out 2-3 glasses of wine a night because you feel you need it, your reasons are to block something or you start to change things so that you can (say skip certain necessities to pay for it) then it is possible that you have a drink problem.

Not necessarily. It would be no different from tea consumption

However, if you drink say 8 drinks in one night simply because you enjoy it, your out at a party or whatever, its not a regular thing and you are not damaging a part of your life in order to do it, then you probably dont have a drink problem.

That would be binging, blasting your body massively on fits and starts like that.

Trousers, If you want to go out and drink in order to get shit faced drunk because you dont want to face up to something then maybe you just have to be aware of it. Im not saying you have a problem, Im more saying if you develop this into a regular habit then it COULD BECOME a problem down the line.

In my experience living based on what might happen or not is tremendously wasteful and unproductive.

A little vice is better then total abstinence sometimes. The release is cathartic and good for the mind.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 2:08pm Post subject: Excessive Behaviour?

Not necessarily. It would be no different from tea consumption

That would be binging, blasting your body massively on fits and starts like that.

In my experience living based on what might happen or not is tremendously wasteful and unproductive.

A little vice is better then total abstinence sometimes. The release is cathartic and good for the mind.

How would it be the same as having tea? I know alot of people who are conseiderably relaxed and lucid after having 3 glasses of wine. Their persona changes and the alcahol has an effect on their mood and ability. They may not be drunk but they are still affected. Tea is a caffinated drink, though it dosnt really do your body too much harm, if you got dependent on having your cup of tea because you just couldnt get through the morning without it, how is that different from being hooked on alcahol??
I know having 8 drinks is binge drinking, I wasnt saying to have 8 drinks is ok - what Im getting at is the attitude. Having a drinking problem or even being alcaholic is not directly related to the AMOUNT of drink you take, it is your dependecy and the reason why you take it that classes you as being that way. Of course someone who has a problem is more likely to drink alot rather than a little but there are those who dont go wild every night having drink yet still have a problem with it.
Im not telling trousers to abstain, Im not telling him he has a problem. Im not even telling him that he DOSNT have a problem. Im saying IF he has to drink in order to block out thoughts, experiences or because he feels the addictive need to drink and would rather have a few cans instead of buying food, then MAYBE he should be aware of it - because down the line he MIGHT develop a problem.