Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Brizzle simon

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 2:46pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
My first post. I feel a little out of my depth on this forum but here goes.

Over the last couple of weeks due to a mistake made by the BBC Re: Brand and Ross gate, the BBC bashers seem to be looking for any excuse to have a go and stick the boot in. Top gear sunday night,( the prostitutes comment ) Clarkson is Clarkson and I know he's not everyone cup of tea but he is one of the many parts that make the BBC what is, at the cutting edge of television and the one everyone follows and copies.,

So I hope the bashers and certain political parties don't get their way because if they do television will be the loser. I for one don't want to have "safe" television, so if anyone from the BBC reads this carry on doing what your doing it's the best thats out there, in my humble opinion. Thanks Simon.

ninjaduck

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:03pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
w00t go Simon!!!
I think the Clarkson thing may have been blown out of proportion because of Ross and Brand, he always makes jokes like that and generally people don't take him too seriously.
Maybe now wasn't really the best time for the joke, though...
xx
p.s. great first post!!

gjhsu

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 4:38pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
Taking Jeremy Clarkson seriously is a person's first mistake.... (Of course, taking Jonathan Ross seriously is, as well)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 6:50pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I completely agree with everyone.
If your easily offend you shouldn't watch anything with Clarkson, Ross or Brand in it. Nobody forced them to watch/listen to it.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:04pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
What clarkson thing? if it was during TG, i didn't notice it...

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:37pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
What clarkson thing? if it was during TG, i didn't notice it... Apparently a few people are upset about him saying all Lorry Drivers murdered prostitutes. It was so obviously over the top (with them looking slightly shifty I thought) that I can't see why people would get upset, but then I know their sense of humour.

That would be me.

fryfan20

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:45pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
is it just my or are people more easier offended then they use to by.
I seems like you can't say anything any more without having to worry about whether or not someone is going to get upset.

I am what I am

gjhsu

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:56pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
is it just my or are people more easier offended then they use to by.
I seems like you can't say anything any more without having to worry about whether or not someone is going to get upset.

Yeah... who do they think they are.... American?!

Brizzle simon

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:10pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I'm just worried that if the BBC and any comic come to that, stops saying things because they will offend people we won't have anything decent to watch, Franky Boyle on mock the week will have no material, come to think of it if this way of thinking persists the BBC may as well cancel the next series.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:15pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I think out of those three (Brand, Ross and Clarkson) the only person who should be on the air in the first place is Ross. The other two are just miserable and on the whole eww.

But thats opinion.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Desdemona

Posted Thu Nov 6th, 2008 9:15pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I think people are in one of those "lets jump on the bandwagon" moods.

But Clarkson has been doing it since time began, so they are a tad late there.
Franky Boyle on mock the week will have no material
So true.

Skip Life and come with me?

Brasselfrat

Posted Thu Nov 6th, 2008 10:36pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
Let's hope some of Obama's energy will reach all the way over to Europe

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 8:54pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I think people are in one of those "lets jump on the bandwagon" moods.

But Clarkson has been doing it since time began, so they are a tad late there.
Franky Boyle on mock the week will have no material
So true.

That's what I was thinking. Frankie Boyle would be totally screwed. I don't want safe television either. That would be rubbish and boring. People are pathetic. They really are. If they can't handle 'edgy comedy' as they like to keep calling it or anything else that isn't 'safe' then they should go back to nursery school where they can have their hand held for them. Seriously these people need to grow up. If you don't like something don't watch it. If you didn't watch something don't complain about it as that makes you look like a sheep. The whole phone call thing has been blown way out of proportion. Only two people complained and someone let it through to be aired meaning they thought it was okey. By this I take it that Ross and Brand believed they were okey and fine because they knew it had to be heard and approved before going on air and probably wouldn't expect the BBC to air something if it was too extreme. That's how I see it anyway.

Assuming direct control...

Shyamz

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:06pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I couldn't agree more with the general tone of this thread.
I'm all for people been able to have their say about BBC shows (within reason), but if the fallout of this and the Ross/Brand issue isn't handled correctly, then we run the risk of ending up in a situation where people feel they can become armchair channel controllers, abusing the feedback system to remove shows or people they simply don't like rather than to voice any genuine concerns or dislikes.

Clarkson has made similar jokes (and people who complained would do well to remember that that's all they are-jokes) on several occasions in the past, with little or no fuss happening at the time, (as have many other people in other situations, be they comedians or not).
Now no doubt there would have been a few complaints made at the time, but all would have been dealt with and investigated, and the rest of us would have heard nothing about it.

Now all of a sudden, just after the Radio 2 band wagon has rolled out of town, people are jumping at the chance to complain about something that clearly didn't bother them before...a coincidence?..well I don't think so.
There were an initial fifty complaints-certainly not enough to have been newsworthy six weeks ago-and then all of a sudden, after the press decide to write up about it, that figure goes up to five hundred.

...so that's at least four hundred and fifty people complaining about something they didn't see and therefore have no right to complain about, what a surprise.

Top Gear is made for the people who watch it, not the people who don't, and if the seven million-plus home audience (and estimated two hundred and fifty million audience worldwide) like it the way it is, then there is no reason for the people who make it to change anything for a tiny number who don't.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:23pm Post subject: Excuses, Excuses.
I couldn't agree more with the general tone of this thread.
I'm all for people been able to have their say about BBC shows (within reason), but if the fallout of this and the Ross/Brand issue isn't handled correctly, then we run the risk of ending up in a situation where people feel they can become armchair channel controllers, abusing the feedback system to remove shows or people they simply don't like rather than to voice any genuine concerns or dislikes.

Exactly. People seem to have used this has an excuse to attack the BBC because they either a] don't like Jonathan Ross, b] they think he's paid too much, c] they don't want to pay the tv license fee and think this incident will put an end to all that or d] all three.

Assuming direct control...