Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

elTweeno

Posted Wed Jan 25th, 2012 4:05pm Post subject: Exercise & mania

Hey folks!

I've been wondering about exercise & mania, and the potential links.

My new GP is fascinated by the way I've suddenly gone from a serious low to having very manic days since I started running & going back to the gym, and thinks there's definitely a link there, but it's not actually really known about.

It can't be good when your GP kindly asks to to exercise LESS, can it?!

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How did you manage to get past it? At the moment I'm up and down like a yo-yo that's been drinking Red Bull....

eT

P.S. I'm back.

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

michael

Posted Sat Feb 4th, 2012 11:55pm Post subject: Exercise & mania

how much have you been excersizing?

i haven't read anything official on it, but it would make some sense that over-doing things, or doing much more than you're used to, might do that. because it increases some hormone levels.

i'm not BP but i would suppose it'd be hard to seperate that out from mania happening and making you feel good enough to exercize... for me i often excersize a lot when i feel like what you are describing... just to wear myself out! and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

what do you do for exercize? (which i can't spell.)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

elTweeno

Posted Sun Feb 5th, 2012 9:05pm Post subject: Exercise & mania

That makes sense - especially in a mixed phase, where nothing stays constant for very long anyway!

I try to go running (much easier in slightly warmer weather!) & I also cycle to the gym 2-3 times a week. I'd swim too, but I can't.

I've stepped it back a little lately, & noticed if I go more than a week with no exercise at all, I feel noticeably lower. It's all quite fascinating...

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

michael

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2012 1:59am Post subject: Exercise & mania

it actually sounds like you're just getting used to the exercise routine and figuring out what's enough and what's too much.

FWIW any amount of excersize BEYOND 20-30 min doesn't do nearly as much good as the first 20-30 min... (unless you are trying to burn off a certain amount or training for some kinda endurance challenge...)

i suck at swimming. i used to run, but it just feels like i'm poking along. i like the bicycle.

p.s. sorry kinda late reply!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

ArleneA

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 5:54pm Post subject: Exercise & mania

For over a year now I have been swimming every single day. There is not a day when I do not swim. Infact some days I am there twice:)

Swimming de-stresses me in a major way. Whilst I am swimming along, this is when I do all my thinking and rationalise all my thoughts. I wonder now how I managed before I used to swim.

I become very irritable if one does not get for her swim!! My son will confirm this for you!!

"This is me - don't try and change it..."