Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Telepresent

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 1:58am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Ok, so I'm doing some online research for my future (and as-yet untitled) depression project (yes, I know it's late, but I can't sleep), and I come across this website:

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/

Pretty good name, yeah? A site for all you need to know about what to do if you're clinically depressed - or suspect you are, yeah? Information on the best forms of treatment for you, or the options available, yeah?

Far from it.

What we have here is a big fat advert for - and the name really sums up the whole thing - the "Depression Learning Path".

Now, I'm not going to go into it in too much detail - I'll just get on a huge rant, and if you want to know more then you can look at the site. BUT, I will point out that they say, albeit in a clever round-about way, that antidepressants and psychotherapy are no good at helping your depression. However, luckily, their 'leaning path' will not only help you understand it, but destroy it! Lucky me to have found this miraculous site!

So let's follow the path! They want us to - look:

When you are suffering from depression, it feels like nothing can help, and nothing will ever change...
We know that because we have treated thousands of people with depression. And that's why our Depression Recovery Program starts by helping you to relax...And free yourself from the weight and burden of depression. Then, and only then, will your tired brain be able to take on the new information you need to beat depression for good.

Oh, yay! Look, they're going to cure me! So let's go!

Those first few minutes of the Program are important. They are the first steps towards recovery.

Yes, great! Let's go!

And that's why we have given you free access to try the first steps out (see below).

Oh, hang on... What's that?

We want you to be able to try out the Depression Recovery Program without the commitment of paying for it, so we have created a free trial. For 7 days you can access the first part of the Program at no cost.

Well, that's nice, isn't it? Seeing as how I've been browsing the site and you're saying over and over how much you desperately want to help everyone, I think it's exceedingly generous of you to offer us the first step for free! I mean, I thought I would be looking for help online and having to put my credit card details into a site just to see the homepage!!! How glad I am to have found the Learning Path!!!

All sarcasm aside, I find it very interesting that I cannot find a price for this path anywhere on the site. I presume that I must first apply for the 'free' bit (which involves giving them your email, incidentally) and only then will I find out how much the 17 audio sessions and 200-page workbook will cost. And then I'll be absolutely cured forever and ever and ever. Woopdie-doo!!!

Sorry, I forgot I'd laid aside the sarcasm.

I'm just SO FUCKED OFF by this site. Particularly that it has such a prominent URL. I mean, I found the Fry forums by luck more than anything else - I was browsing for depression info when I was down. What would I have done if I'd found this site? Would I have tried it? Possibly - I don't know. I was willing to try anything at that point.

Now, I know people are always going to be exploiting other people. It's not nice, but it's true. But exploiting them to this level? To send out such base lies as "we reeealy want everyone to be happy-fucking-clappy [but only as long as they send us £49.99 or whatever the hell it costs, cos - hey, look at that - we won't even tell them how much the damn thing is!]"

I'm very angry right now. I'm considering (prepare yourselves...) sending a strongly worded email!

But seriously, if anyone else is as angry as me, how's about this? We all send a bloody angry email on the same day - as close to the same hour as possible. I know it won't actually do anything, but it'll bloody well annoy them if enough of us do it. And if that's the best we can do then, hey, let's do it.

Who's in?

Telepresent

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 2:07am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Oh, yeah, thought you might like this as well...

The first question on the FAQ page:

What is Clinical Depression?
'Clinical Depression', as opposed to 'just' depression, is a term used to describe a collection of physical and psychological symptoms. (For every day use, they are the same thing.) If you, or someone you know, suffers from depression, it is vital that you understand what it is and how it works.

For that reason, we recommend that to answer this question fully, you take the Depression Learning Path.

Yuh. Though I would like to know what "just depression" is. Strangely, there's no explaination of that term...

Oh, and as a postscript, this site was the top 'sponsored link' on Google. Go figure

katysara

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:03am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
I've come across that site before and my reaction was just like yours TP. I wonder if complaining to Google would get them moved down in their rank on the Google search engine?

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

fryfan20

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:31am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
your freedom from depresion cost:

47.68 pounds or 62.78 euro's or 97.00 US dollars.

this is not just steeling form people, there is no way of telling what somebody will do when he or she finds out that the miracle treatment does not work.
i am curious where that program consist of. realy joyful songs and some actor telling you that everything is going to be oke ?

this kind of things make me verry angry, that they are allowed to sell those things. there should be laws against

I am what I am

Dogfight

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:37am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Mark Tyrrell has very probably paid Google to list his site as the first search result returned. A search of his name turns up a whole load of self-help stuff. It seems he is a hypnotist (therapist?) with a "cure" for almost everything mental/emotional/psychological...he is behind http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk/ too.

The "testimonials" page I found laughable (especially "Anu, Seattle, Washington"). It really doesn't sound fake...no, really...I mean it !!! X-D

On a serious note, it's awful how he tries to demean and diminish regular medical/clinical treatments to promote his own product.

Telepresent...if you plan on sending an email, do it from a "one-time" account (otherwise your email address is harvested along with all those that sign up for the "free course"). Alternately, do it from a Gmail account, then report any replies as SPAM (ie. use google against the site).

Yet another answer is to include lots of keywords in our posts, so that any google search (after the page is indexed by googlebot) will turn up this thread.

Depression Recovery Program, depression, clinical, Mark Tyrrell, hypnotism, cure, panic, attack, manic, help, treatment, depressed, recover, recovery, change, learning path, desperate, happy, sad, sadness, suicide, grief, feeling down, psychological, symptoms, doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, shrink, mental, problem, medication, meds, medicine, CBT, cognitive, therapy, nonsense, truth, lies, profit, misery, sales.

Might work?

Arf Arf Arf !!!

katysara

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 3:10pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Is there a "contact us" option anywhere? Maybe we could all write and complain - maybe repeatedly. It might not do much, but it would make us feel better. It's no wonder so many people are reporting back that they don't find online sites useful. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

KSx

P.S. Depression Recovery Program, depression, clinical, Mark Tyrrell, hypnotism, cure, panic, attack, manic, help, treatment, depressed, recover, recovery, change, learning path, desperate, happy, sad, sadness, suicide, grief, feeling down, psychological, symptoms, doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, shrink, mental, problem, medication, meds, medicine, CBT, cognitive, therapy, nonsense, truth, lies, profit, misery, sales.

~ Stephen Fry

Britannicus

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 3:14pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
One more shit product to reduce people's lives into meaningless money vaults. I'm so excited.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Loona

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 7:49pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
I`m so upset about this!
It`s just hitting the ones that are already lying down with their face on the ground!

fryfan20

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 10:18pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
i have tried to sent a massage to the site by the contact page but when i sent the message i got this:

Thank you

jmail.Message error '8000ffff'

The message was undeliverable. All servers failed to receive the message

/contact.asp, line 66

what a suprise there not home
i will keep trying because i have a verry important qustion (how can they sleep at night? )

I am what I am

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 10:21pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
mark tyrrell, mark tryel, mark tyrell, marcus tyrell, banjo, Banjo, kick, kicks, kix, you, your, yr, ass, asses, arse.

Dogfight

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:02pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Never mind Mark Tyrrell and his $97 Depression Recovery Arse Program.

I have found the REAL answer!!!!!! (Sorry if I sound like some kind of...er... "Major Manic" X-D )

http://www.depression-free-in-3-minutes.com/

---How to permanently cure depression in 3 minutes .

---How to activate a switch in your head to have your own brain produce all the joy you want.

YES, it's true! Watch the little Flash movie for a full and complete explanation of depression. Everything you need to know. Roll up. Roll up. Best of all...it's free...FREE, I say...like clouds and birds and...other free things.

Legal notices:
No snakes were harmed in the production of oil for this website.
Not suitable for any person with bullshit-allergy.
It's not actually "free" per se. By sheer coincidence it costs $97 !!!

Arf Arf Arf !!!

fryfan20

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:42pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
i also asked these people if they can sleep at night, i am wondering if they will answer.

I am what I am

Korbond

Posted Thu Jun 5th, 2008 11:59pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
I never told you this but...

Domain name:
clinical-depression.co.uk

Registrant:
Uncommon Knowledge Ltd

Registrant type:
Unknown

Registrant's address:
112 Hollingbury Park Avenue
Brighton
East Sussex
BN1 7JP
GB

Registrar:
ACTIVE 24 ASA t/a Active 24 [Tag = ACTIVEISP-NO]
URL: http://www.active24.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 25-Jan-2001
Renewal date: 25-Jan-2009
Last updated: 18-Sep-2007

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
dns10.activeisp.com
dns11.activeisp.com
dns12.activeisp.com

Dogfight

Posted Fri Jun 6th, 2008 12:06am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
A very quick bit of research turns up the following:

http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/help/about.html says the following:

Mark Tyrrell, Creative Director
...he has helped develop a groundbreaking depression information website...

Roger Elliott, Managing Director
...he has developed many ground-breaking methods of educating people about their own psychology, including the Uncommon Knowledge Diploma Course, the Depression Learning Path, the 6-Part Self Confidence Course, the Panic Attacks Course, plus a range of DVDs, CDs and tapes. Simplifying psychology is his great passion...

The following details re Mr. Roger Elliott are freely and publicly available on the WWW:

Email: relliott@uncommon-knowledge.co.uk

Address:
12 Queen Square
Brighton
East Sussex
BN1 3FD

Phone: +44.1273776770
Fax: +44.1273774427

Arf Arf Arf !!!

katysara

Posted Fri Jun 6th, 2008 10:26am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
So are there suggestions that we somehow complain to them? 97 quid!!?!?! The bloody cheek of it all. Bastards.

KSx

P.S. Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott,Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott, Mark Tyrrell, Roger Elliott *WANKERS*

~ Stephen Fry