Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

katysara

Posted Tue Jul 1st, 2008 12:30pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Come on FW - this has nothing to do with Mr Fry and does not demean him - I would accept that in your opinion it demeans those who join in, though I disagree with your opinion. People are letting off steam.

Why is it that adults aren't supposed to go mad about anything? You gotta keep a lid on it. And if you don't then people are apparently entitled to say what they like. "You haven't grown up. You're a moron. Your conversation is trivial and boorish. You can't express your emotional needs. You can't relate to your children." And you die, lonely and miserable. But you know, what the hell, every cloud has a silver lining. ~ Fever Pitch, 1997.

We all know we can't change the world single-handedly. Plus there are plenty of professionals with and without degrees and higher degrees that work in this field and do a lot of good, without fitting your definition of a "proper doctor."

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

flookwit

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 5:58am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Come on Katy Sara, grow up.

flookwit

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 6:00am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
KS, I wrote in because I disagreed with your opinion and those of your friends, that this behaviour was demeaning to the website of `Stephen Fry. You replied that you disagreed with my opinion. So why should your opinion be more important than mine?

I think the behaviour that you exhibit by repetitively reiterating the names of the people you dislike, to be immature and quite ridiculous. Particularly yourself, when you have risen to higher standards of education by achieving your PhD. This sort of nonsense appears to people who are new to the forum and don't know what you are like, to be very unintelligent. Now of course, that is my opinion and those friends and professionals in law and medicine that I have shown the thread to.

Someone found the IP address and the address of the creator of the website. Wouldn't it have been more intelligent, sensible and mature to write a polite letter to the organisation and say that you are upset that their website appears to prey on vulnerable people.

Your quote from Fever Pitch is not terribly relevant since it is from a fictional novel. In other words, if you hadn't worked this out before, it is just another person's opinion. (One that fits in with your emotional and cognitive state).

Lastly, I would have thought that you knew what I meant by the use of the more colloquial sense of "doctor" by placing "proper" beforehand. You are very touchy about this I know, from previous conversations and from the way that you circumvent this issue when you introduce or describe yourself as a "doctor of clinical medicine" or, "from Nottingham to study medicine at Oxford". These statements of yours are misleading, because for the general public, the two phrases I have cited mean to them that you have trained to be a 'proper' doctor.

Before you start on your usual "you're bullying me" rant because you cannot cope with someone who disagrees with you, I will tell you now, that this is not bullying, and it is just trying to explain to you how you have manipulated words to your advantage in order to impress people. The truth about you, if you would only accept it, would be far more impressive and garner you more respect. The apparent 'respect' that you have on this website does not really hold water at the end of the day. because much of it is based on misleading words and so called "advice" from you. To give you an example, no "proper doctor" would write (as you have done plenty of times) that another "proper doctor" should be slated and have you writing uncouth words about him or her.

There was never any bullying in the last post that you felt that there was an agenda against you; nor is there any bullying of you on other websites that you start telling people that they are bullying you.

Plenty of people have been put off this website by the negativity crossed with hand-holding but little else, that they see in this section.

So, to contradict your opening few words, [quote Katy Sara] "....this has nothing to do with Mr Fry and does not demean him"[/quote] I think that the behaviour on these boards, including yours in this thread, does indeed demean him as he set this website up as a place :
[quote Stephen Fry]"This is a virtual place in which to browse peacefully and without being harangued, harassed, heckled or hectored."[/quote].

What you have done in the reiterating of the website that someone was annoyed about, is exactly what Stephen Fry asked not to happen.

The addition of your quote "Plus there are plenty of professionals with and without degrees and higher degrees that work in this field and do a lot of good, without fitting your definition of a "proper doctor."[unquote Katy Sara] is waffle put there to distract anyone reading your reply and manipulate them into believeing that I was writing about a totally different matter - Yes, I agree with you that there are a lot of professionals with or without degrees and higher degrees who do a lot of good. But that was not the point that we were arguing about, was it?

Katy Sara. I hope for your sake that you are able to read and think about this yourself before you go running off to your virtual friends and tell them that once again someone has contradicted you and you don't like it.

For someone who has apparently done and received a DPhil. I find your responses incredibly trite and shallow.

I am not returning to this post/thread again. The replies here are daft and yours drag in other issues to try and confuse the main issue being debated.

However, there can never really be a debate where you are concerned because you always seem to think that people are attacking you rather than your ideas. If you were working in academic posts you would be well used to the fact that people can have a raging argument about a difference of opinion, without then crossing them off your friends list, like an adolescent.

Maybe you will learn this with time.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 6:44am Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
*face palm* my things get ugly quick. A lot of hoopla over something that just made people feel a bit better. I mean gosh its not like this thread would have continued for ever.

Oh well...hence the downside to the internet.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

katysara

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 1:15pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Don't worry ES. Things are fine. Some things are not worthy of a response. You stick around OK?

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

wildfire

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 1:50pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
In the QI spirit of the website, then, flookwit: did you know hubris was a crime in ancient Athens?
PS. This is a rhetorical post, so no need to reply, which is just as well, since you've said you're not going to anyway.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 2:52pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
all i want to say is,
katysara is our moderator now for a good reason.

she never misled any of us.

i know her well, and at the end of the day, she's a great friend and a hard worker.

there's all sorts of things on this forum...and yeah, maybe they aren't all things that mr fry would do or say. (we talk about ourselves a helluvalot more) but i do not think it's right to bring up his name and wave it around and say "he wouldn't approve of this" ...the only thing i've read him say about this place is that it stay safe, peaceful, and free of harrassment.
and that he places his trust in the moderators to keep it that way.

flookwit, if you feel the preceding posts are harrassment, then we could take them off, just ask. i don't mind your opinions at all! but there's no reason to start harrassing each other, too.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 4:34pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Flook, I am so DISAPPOINTED by your post. It is condescending, mean spirited, laden with contradiction and just plain wrong on so many levels, not the least of which is the level of contempt you seem to have for others. Not what I expected I can tell you, but maybe you'll learn something from this too, like how to play well with others........and before you throw the debate card at me next, rest assured, I know the difference between it and mud slingin'.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 11:30pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Katy....no worries...I'll not be leavin' over a mean spirit. If I made a habit of that I'd not belong to any of the forums I have over the years. Always someone who says something mean...even if they are really really nice otherwise.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Loona

Posted Fri Jul 4th, 2008 4:56pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
flookwit if you have personal problems with other members, share it with them & don`t bother us! If this thread is not your level (it surely isn`t, but in a different way you think) than there`s a pure solution of simply not being around here!

ClareBear

Posted Fri Jul 4th, 2008 8:58pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
The joy of 10-hour night-shifts....you're late for every party.

Flookwit, ragging on people is not cool. This forum has few rules, that is one of them.

ugh, my heads a mess, i'll finish this later.

Dogfight

Posted Sat Jul 5th, 2008 10:47pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
I'm in too happy a mood to even begin on that (rather pompous, IMO) diatribe.

So let's stick with "uncool". Time to waft down from whatever lofty position you envisage yourself to be in, and plant those plates of meat firmly on the ground.

Kind regards,

Dogfight.

Arf Arf Arf !!!

Red Raven

Posted Tue Jul 8th, 2008 1:34pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Do you ever miss out on a LOT of sleep and hit that silly delirius stage and then stumble across something like this and start laughing and you just can't stop? Well, I was reading through this, I was already laughing at the time fw must have spent typing all that TL;DR, and then I saw Clarebear's avatar and lost it!

I think I broke a rib y'all.

katysara

Posted Tue Jul 8th, 2008 2:04pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Yes I know what you mean Red.

KSx

P.S. What does TL;DR mean?

~ Stephen Fry

Red Raven

Posted Tue Jul 8th, 2008 2:11pm Post subject: Exploitative website - ANGRY!!!
Yes I know what you mean Red.

KSx

P.S. What does TL;DR mean?

Too long; didn't(or don't) read