Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

karen m

Posted Wed May 21st, 2008 10:27pm Post subject: facts
i was thinking it would be fun to post some quite interesting facts- a bit like fry a day but fact a day..... probably not so fun or interesting but i'm doing it anyway

Numbers And Words

If you spell all the numbers and try to find letter "A" you will have to count to thousAnd. Did you know that: 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 Weird huh?

not including the 'and' eg five hundred and four

Phlizz

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 1:52am Post subject: facts
Wow - that first fact, it's one of those things that you almost can't quite believe and have to go through them all just to prove to yourself it's actually true! Heehee!

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 12:47pm Post subject: facts
exellent idea

we tried something similar ages ago (see thread: QI - how to become an elf), but the thread was only very short-lived...
never mind! Better luck this time !

karen m

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 6:03pm Post subject: facts
The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London

''As requested in his will, his body was preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet, termed his "Auto-icon". Originally kept by his disciple Dr. Southwood Smith, it was acquired by University College London in 1850. The Auto-icon is kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the College. For the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, the Auto-icon was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where he was listed as "present but not voting" Tradition holds that if the council's vote on any motion is tied, the auto-icon always breaks the tie by voting in favour of the motion.''

The Auto-icon has always had a wax head, as Bentham's head was badly damaged in the preservation process. The real head was displayed in the same case for many years, but became the target of repeated student pranks including being stolen on more than one occasion. It is now locked away securely.

If anything i post is incorrect or you want to add anything you've found plz share

karen m

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 6:08pm Post subject: facts
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thum.....o-Icon.jpg

jeremy bentham

Phlizz

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 7:16pm Post subject: facts
I know that Nipper the HMV dog is buried in Kingston-upon-Thames and that the site is now a bank. Does that count?

karen m

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 8:13pm Post subject: facts
only if you can tell me the name of the bank lol

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 26th, 2008 5:29am Post subject: facts
um...i don't know much, but when i do i will post it!

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 26th, 2008 11:21am Post subject: facts
I think it's a Lloyds TSB - why, does it matter?

hannah-mae

Posted Mon May 26th, 2008 3:53pm Post subject: facts
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thum.....o-Icon.jpg

jeremy bentham

I applied for UCL, and I'd be lying if I said that fact didn't play some part in my decision I visited and stood in front of that display case, and wow... Jeremy Bentham was very small!

thorleyc2

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 10:46pm Post subject: facts
William Shakespeare invented (or maybe just first wrote) the words; 'bubble', 'bedroom' and 'puke' as well as the phrase 'laugh it off'

nongenderous

Posted Wed May 28th, 2008 1:26pm Post subject: facts
Too much to post, so I'll post a quite interesting link about a certain c word and its history and background:
http://www.matthewhunt.com/cunt/etymology.html

BeamaCasey

Posted Sun Jun 1st, 2008 8:45pm Post subject: facts
I got one! A bird species called the Wire Bird is indigenous to St. Helena Island.

St. Helena Island is a teeny tiny island in the south atlantic ocean between Africa and South America, famous as being the exile and final resting place of Napoleon Bonaparte. And it's also my home.

There, that's my contribution to the wonderful world of knowledge...

Phlizz

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 5:34pm Post subject: facts
Lewis Carroll invented the word 'chortle', which is used in the Beano ALL the time! What would they have done without it?

Britannicus

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 6:02pm Post subject: facts
Animal brains tend to shrink when they're domesticated. So the horse brain, pig brain, and dog brain...all are smaller than the brains of their wild ancestors. Interestingly enough, around the time when the dog brain shrank, so did the human brain. It is really interesting that the parts of our brains that shrank tend to correspond with the traits we admire in dogs -- the bits that deal with sensory data, smell. In dogs, the part of their brain that shrank was the part for planning, organizing. Sound like something we're good at?

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"